Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808
Quote | Reply
Looking for aero data on the Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 (2008 or 2009 with aluminum brake tracks (purchased May of 2009 new)).

I am considering replacing my old 808s and with either a Hed Jet+ 6 or 9 wanted to see what aero gains I might pick up.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
Looking for aero data on the Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 (2008 or 2009 with aluminum brake tracks (purchased May of 2009 new)).

I am considering replacing my old 808s and with either a Hed Jet+ 6 or 9 wanted to see what aero gains I might pick up.

Probably will be limited data out there directly. You could try to deduce the differences from various data but you will love the JET+ and you can ride wider tires without affecting aerodynamics. Tire interaction is probably going to be where the greatest aero gains are as well

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw where Zipp stated when the Firecrest came out that the 404 FC was faster than the old 808.

Hed says the best tire width is a measured 25mm width. Do you know if the GP 5000 measures accurate on the Hed 6/9 + or at least close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should use a solid disc wheel on the rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You should use a solid disc wheel on the rear.

I use a disc for the rear, its a the older aluminum brake track Zipp clincher disc, older than the 808 front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The modern Jets are faster....ask me how I know ;-)

I don't even ride the FC 808 anymore...for a reason....

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 1, 19 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The modern Jets are faster....ask me how I know ;-)

I don't even ride the FC 808 anymore...for a reason....

Ok Brian, I'm asking.

I picked up the 6/9 combo, the deal did not include the 9/9. I still plan to use my older disc wheel (Zipp w/ Aluminum brake track) unless its not permitted. Does your statement still stand with the Jet+6 vs. the pre FC 808 in all conditions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd ride the Jet 6 over the older 808 8 days of the week

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. Thanks. I know you've done a lot of testing; that is the kind of answer I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Stelvio wrote:

Probably will be limited data out there directly. You could try to deduce the differences from various data but you will love the JET+ and you can ride wider tires without affecting aerodynamics. Tire interaction is probably going to be where the greatest aero gains are as well

Do you think I can run a 25 mm gp 5000 on the Hed jets and not ruin the aerodynamics, I am kinda worried because the tubeless gpp 5000 are not available in the 23 mm. they measure about 1.7 or so wider than the brake track... btw i need to sen that suit to you I keep forgetting.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:

Do you think I can run a 25 mm gp 5000 on the Hed jets and not ruin the aerodynamics, I am kinda worried because the tubeless gpp 5000 are not available in the 23 mm. they measure about 1.7 or so wider than the brake track... btw i need to sen that suit to you I keep forgetting.

From the FAQ's page on the HED website (underlining by me for emphasis).

What tires/size do you recommend?
28mm actual width for Ardennes and Vanquish road use. For Jet wheels 25mm actual width is the fastest option, but only by a factor of about 3-4 seconds over 40km. Unless a podium step hangs in the balance, 28mm for Jets wheels is a very solid choice. The difference in speed will only work out to approximately .05kph per hour between 25 width and 28 width. Note that we are recommending ACTUAL MEASURED width, not labeled width.

25c 5000TL's, which would presumably be somewhere between 27 & 28 mm wide mounted on a Jet rim, so make of that what you will. I know I wouldn't call 0.15 seconds per mile lost "ruined aerodynamics,"

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Aug 1, 19 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Care to share what wheels you find interesting for both road an tri?
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Aug 1, 19 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:

Hed Jet 6/9 tested faster than Zipp 808 NSW at higher yaw angles. Surprisingly, the former is also lighter. Based on this, I can deduce that the 6/9 is faster than pre Firecrest 808.

Last edited by: RichardL: Aug 1, 19 21:46
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Stelvio wrote:

Hed Jet 6/9 tested faster than Zipp 808 FC at higher yaw angles. Surprisingly, the former is also lighter. Based on this, I can deduce that the 6/9 is faster than pre Firecrest 808.

Thanks Richard. The chart says Hed Jet, do you know if this was the 6 or 9. (I ended up with the 6 for the front wheel due to significant price difference). If you have a link that would be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:

Thanks Richard. The chart says Hed Jet, do you know if this was the 6 or 9. (I ended up with the 6 for the front wheel due to significant price difference). If you have a link that would be great.

Yes, that was the Hed Jet 6/9 wheelset, and the 808 was the NSW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0BH3wXzhrI (starting at 11:11)
Last edited by: RichardL: Aug 1, 19 21:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, chiming in here - have pretty much always raced on HED wheels - Jet 9 up front and for the past three seasons a Jet disc. Before then the rear was a Jet 9 w/Powertap hub and wheel cover. I 'need' a rear wheel other than the disc (qualifying for Kona does have its downsides) and am looking at My Bike Shop and getting their 6/9 combo and then reselling the front 6.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate that is exactly what I purchased yesterday. Part of the reason is for a backup rear race wheel in the event that there is a last minute prohibition on discs. It happened at Gold Coast Worlds and I believe it almost happened in Rotterdam Worlds too. Then I would also be set should I be so lucky to make it back to Kona when I give Ironman another go. I borrowed a friend's wheels for Kona and IM Cozumel.

Once I locked in on the 6/9 due to the great price difference vs. the 9/9 at this time, I was trying to get a read on the new 6 vs. the deeper old 808.

If I was only looking for a front we could have split the order.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks! so 16 seconds on a full ironman haha, i'll stop worrying
Quote Reply
Re: Hed Jet + 6/9 vs. Pre Firecrest 808 [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Richard. That is helpful. The chart also doesn't say Jet + but you can clearly see in the video that it is a Jet +, additionally once you see the 2017 date on the video you would assume Jet +.
Last edited by: Stelvio: Aug 2, 19 8:52
Quote Reply