Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
you are just lowering yourself to THERE level!

THEIR.

Your welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a cyclist, I likely wouldn't have been yelling out you if you were in fact abiding by the law, but in my mind she would have been justified in throwing something at you for that stupid comment! :) If only men were smart enough to feed themselves, they could probably better obey proper traffic laws on a bike...Happy Riding :) Just kidding (but seriously...)
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [rinliz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine has this tactic, wear a US armed services branch jersey (his is Navy) and USA flag socks. This has worked out well for him on the backroads of Iowa.
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [ChipHark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChipHark wrote:
This is for anybody riding near the Ironman Wisc course. My brother and I went up there back in 2014 to watch the Wrestling World Team Trials and decided to ride the course as we were doing the Ironman that year. We took a right off of Garfoot Rd onto Mineral Point and about a mile up the road wraps around to the left and you head up a descent hill. As we were wrapping around I saw a red truck in the only house on the North side of the road at the bottom of the hill about to pull out. This crazy bastard runs us off the side of the road into the grass as we were about to head up the hill. He was honking and screaming so out of instinct I flipped him the bird. He stops at the top of the hill and gets out. I get off my bike, take off the cleats and start running at him. He wimps out jumps back into his car and speeds off before I could get to him. This guy obviously isn't the brightest since we saw exactly where he lives. Anyway we ride back into town, gather up a bunch of old wrestling buddies that we went up there with and drove back over to this guys house. Unfortunately nobody was home but that red truck was there so a few of us took a dump on his hood. Hindsight that was pretty stupid of us and we could have potentially been shot but that guy deserved it. So for any of you riding on Mineral Point beware of that red pickup.

I know its an irresponsible response but I cannot help but love stories like this. So many times, I've wanted to confront an angry driver, but chose to "take the high road" instead. Reading about another person's revenge allows me to live vicariously through you
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
I prefer to be overly polite, considerate, and apologetic, in the response (keep your sincerity or otherwise a mystery).

and monty,
I have actually taken it one step further towards total enlightenment, I just wave and smile

exactly.. stupid and cheerful, my mantra for responding to aggression..

"gosh I'm sorry I got in your way. Have a nice day !"

it puzzles them ;-)
and by not escalating, puts them explicitly in the position of being the bad guy if they choose to go on yelling..

I like to take this even one step further and do the whole smile and point to my ear like "I'm sorry I can't hear you, can you please speak up" thing while they yell at me

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the typo correction. Indeed I was wrong. Noted, corrected and appreciated.

You see, an exchange like this can be civilized and progressive - unlike with motorists!

"I'm really sorry. I was too close to you. I appreciate you questioning me on this. I did not see you there. I need to improve my driving and observation skills" - things a motorist would NEVER say!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"isn't it unlawful to record anyone without their permission?"

No.
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [PinaMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PinaMan wrote:
PinaMan wrote:
I just have one question regarding driving cars and using cell phone (not free handed). Can you get a ticket by a cop?

I only ask this, because if you get a ticket, for using your phone (not free handed) in car. Then they might also give you a ticket for using your phone while riding your bike.

You can control your car a lot better with only one hand compared to bike. If we talk about normal speeds (for both). If you slam on break with only one hand (on bike), you will either fly over your handlebar or slide over the road or into a ditch

Or am i wrong?

I believe cell phone use while driving specifically refers to drivers of motor vehicles and not to cyclists. And I believe it stems from the amount of distraction it causes to one by having their attention diverted, not to difficulty steering one handed.

I can slam on my brakes one handed b/c I know it's coming (after all, I'm the one actuating the brake) I can brace myself appropriately (probably). What this would entail, however, is my dropping the phone in favor of getting that second hand onto the bars somewhere, likely to avert a crash.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Aug 1, 19 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In California, it is illegal to use a phone while riding a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
In California, it is illegal to use a phone while riding a bike.

There you go - different rules across one country, as a responder already commented on NY.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you say that crap to a woman on a bike, on foot, in any means of conveyance other than a big dumb SUV? I agree with you that she was being a jerk. But you don't come out well in this story.
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
out running, one time a car with a few kids passed me and one yelled "Faggot!!!" as they passed.

I've had this a couple of times, though not recently.
My planned response for next time,
"if I ever switch, you can be first"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you are cycling and see a motorist texting while driving, if you have the opportunity do you yell "no texting while driving", stay quiet but get the license no. and report the driver to the police (if it's illegal in the jurisdiction) or do nothing?

I usually yell but today I had a car pass me at high speed on a busy residential street with multiple stop lights. I catch up to the car, sit behind it during the red phase but end up on the right side of the car for a couple of seconds after the light turns green and we're both slowly accelerating. I see the driver texting as he pulls forward. Two young guys in the car that look like they could take revenge if I yell (the driver did put his phone back in his crotch when he sees me looking at him) so I just shake my head as the car accelerates away again at a speed much higher than the posted limit.

Agree that it is best to be passive when a driver initiates aggressive behavior against a cyclist, but it is hard for me to control my anger when I see drivers texting while moving and I feel I have a duty to let them know that I'm not OK with texting while driving.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 2, 19 19:17
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [ChipHark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taking away from this and the cliff bar wrapper comment... I am completely baffled that men can poop on command.

ChipHark wrote:
Unfortunately nobody was home but that red truck was there so a few of us took a dump on his hood.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Aug 2, 19 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
stay quiet but get the license no. and report the driver to the police

That's unlikely to be worth the time it takes. Having talked to some cops, they essentially have to personally witness the violation to do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [thomtwg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thomtwg wrote:
Purely my opinion from my 26 years in law enforcement. A response “usually” isn’t the best idea. The best action is just to ignore their anger and move on. A snarky response just ends up causing an escalation in the anger of the driver. As long as you know you aren’t doing anything wrong, their anger, or whatever they have going on that caused the comment, isn’t your problem.

This. 100%.
Quote Reply
Re: Never Verbally Challenge a Driver [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
stay quiet but get the license no. and report the driver to the police

That's unlikely to be worth the time it takes. Having talked to some cops, they essentially have to personally witness the violation to do anything.

Thanks for the info. Then it's either yell "get off your phone" or do nothing except try to stay as far a way as possible from the vehicle.
Quote Reply

Prev Next