Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know who else doesn't regret doping? Merckx and over half the people that have ridden in the ProTour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
altissimotri wrote:
PJC wrote:
OldRepublic wrote:
I think he realizes that informed cycling fans know he won 7 tours whether the AOC "recognizes" it or not.

Correct.

In the last episode this year, they were talking about how many tours Bernal will win and Lance emphatically reminded everyone that the record is 7.

The comment, and the way he said it, brought my opinion back to where it was when he got banned, ie, he deserved it. I was slowly getting to "maybe the ban was too much". Nope, he has no regret, other than getting caught and he doesn't see he did way more than the other guys of his era. That comment ws as arrogant as the picture of him on his couch with the jerseys on the wall.

I don't do the Twitter thing but someone sent me a link to a Lance tweet the other day and I noticed his bio reads "Father of 5, Founder of WEDŪ, partner at NEXT Ventūres, endurance junkie, and 7 MJ’s."
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
You know who else doesn't regret doping? Merckx and over half the people that have ridden in the ProTour.

We should ask them

1) Do you regret doping ?
2) Do you regret paying off competitors to win races ?
3) Do you regret paying off the UCI to hide test results ?
4) Do you regret financially destroying or attempting to destroy people's livelihood to protect your cheating ?
5) Do you regret perjuring yourself when testifying under oath ?

Nobody else did that, so I guess no, they don't have regrets.

If everyone was doing #1, it was a level playing field. If everyone was doing #1 except one guy who was doing it all, benefiting financially from it and then using those proceeds to further distance himself from the rest, that isn't a level playing field. Its funny because in one episode Bruynel went on about how much advantage teams with big budgets, buses, private planes....have.

I can completely understand how a guy like him could go down a path. I can see how hard it would be to correct that path. But once it's all out there don't have the nerve to say you didn't do anything worse than next guy and it was a level playing field. It wasn't. He didn't win those 7 Tours.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Bogusdogs wrote:
So George won?

Lol, can we get back to the point here? Bunch of off-topic ass hats talking about who doped the best. I want some results without having to pay for that damn membership

And there must have been some good trash talking along the way. At what point did George drop the "see you in the douches" line on Lance?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [Bogusdogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bogusdogs wrote:
So George won?

Yes, George won, by a few minutes. They had to ride back to where they do the podcast, carry the bike up the stairs (it's on the second story w/a patio) and tap the WEDU flag. Stunning course and they have some great drone shots.

Love the podcast, especially when you can watch it. Lance is an ass, but would he have been so good if he wasn't? I don't think so (sort of like Steve Jobs always had a chip on his shoulder which drove him). I'm waiting for my "See you in the douches" t-shirt to arrive.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally! 3 pages of pointless arguing and we finally get a definitive answer to the question! Thanks!

By the way, what exactly does the "see you in the douches" line mean? I don't think of anything endurance sport related when I read "douches"
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
NBC Sports had Bob & Phil interview him on TV during the tour. I wonder if they were testing the waters to see what the reaction would be from people. I wonder if they start rolling out more interviews with him during other races and 4-5 years have him take over for Phil during the tour?

This. ^^ A few years ago, Phil wouldn't even speak Lance's name on the air. Now Phil is helping to secure his replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [jamlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamlo wrote:
Finally! 3 pages of pointless arguing and we finally get a definitive answer to the question! Thanks!

By the way, what exactly does the "see you in the douches" line mean? I don't think of anything endurance sport related when I read "douches"

"See you in the showers" - V. Ekimov used to say that when he put the throttle down and rode away from whomever he was with. Douches = showers

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Not the best. He's not the best at riding clean, because he doped. He's not the best at doping because the people best at doping don't get caught. So he's straight mediocre.

I'd call Indurain the best in recent decades. He has 5 official TdF wins. Lance: zero.

Just think, and the difference between being the best and being straight mediocre rides on that fine edge of deciding whether to throw Landis a bone at Tour of California or to rub his nose in shit. That decision was his idiot hubris and vindictiveness and what did him in, right there.

NBC did a long segment on Indurain during this years broadcast. A disciple of Conconi, the mentor of Ferrari. No doubt he was topped to the gills with orange juice. But, he never got caught. So he's the best. He would have thrown Landis a bone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
jamlo wrote:

"See you in the showers" - V. Ekimov used to say that when he put the throttle down and rode away from whomever he was with. Douches = showers

Isn't it a reference to the showers at Roubaix velodrome?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
ironclm wrote:
jamlo wrote:

Isn't it a reference to the showers at Roubaix velodrome?

I think so - said by Ekimov.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Bogusdogs wrote:
So George won?

Yes, George won, by a few minutes. They had to ride back to where they do the podcast, carry the bike up the stairs (it's on the second story w/a patio) and tap the WEDU flag. Stunning course and they have some great drone shots.

Love the podcast, especially when you can watch it. Lance is an ass, but would he have been so good if he wasn't? I don't think so (sort of like Steve Jobs always had a chip on his shoulder which drove him). I'm waiting for my "See you in the douches" t-shirt to arrive.

Thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
OldRepublic wrote:
Karl wrote:
Lie, cheat, steal take your choice. Listen to Lance, he is still arrogant.

Its not really arrogance if you literally were the best.

Not the best. He's not the best at riding clean, because he doped. He's not the best at doping because the people best at doping don't get caught. So he's straight mediocre.

I'd call Indurain the best in recent decades. He has 5 official TdF wins. Lance: zero.
Re: Indurain, see below...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ere-conconi-clients/

"Discipline is the highest of all virtues. Only so may strength and desire be counterbalanced and the endeavors of man bear fruit."
Nikos Kazantzakis, The Rock Garden
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
Not much has changed. There has been doping in professional cycling since the 60s. I understand if people do not like LA for being a bully, etc., but not liking him for being a professional cyclist at the most elite level because he was doping is not understanding that all of those guys were and are still taking performance enhancing whatevers (in my opinion!!)............ I wouldn't be suprised if pro cyclists were having testosterone things inserted surgically into their ball sacks to avoid detection. Dislike him for being a jerk, bully, etc., but not liking him because he used performance enhancing drugs to win the tour 7 times is LOL funny.

Doping in the Tour has been going on since 1903, and continued ever since. Jacques Anqutiel staged a protest when they tried to ban Amphetemines. Everyone admitted it. Cocaine eye drops due to 17 hour stages, everything you can think of. From 60s to 80s you only got a time penalty most of the time for a doping offense. There are two great books on the Tour by Bill McGann, probably the best documented history of the race.

Anyway, I was a Lance hater from the beginning, it was so obvious he was doping. Then after he confessed, I became a fan. The podcasts are good, though I have to admit that the real gem of The Move podcast is Johann Bruyneel and the preview show. That guy knows his stuff when it comes to what is going on. Lance comes across as almost ignorant of everything, and his ego started to come out this year with George being on the show, that was a bit of a turn off.

Johann predicted George would win by the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Bogusdogs wrote:
So George won?

That's a nice touch ... sort of a CX element?

In case anyone gives a shit, I still wear my Livestrong Band

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=4038970#p4038970

RandMart wrote:
Got one when they first appeared; wore it till it snapped one day. Got another one right away, wearing it now

My dad was buried wearing his; I'll keep wearing mine in his memory

WOW!!!

Fifteen years now, and ten since Dad passed

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Aug 4, 19 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Cathy

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, because MOST everyone cheats, even the ‘elite’ age groupers!! If you don’t believe it, then you have you left head so far up your arse, just like you did about Lance. He’s the best ever, period end of story, because they still cheat...FROOME, Geraint, ALL OF THEM...and if you don’t believe it, once again, I say you have your head up your arse!! #icarus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Nope, he has no regret, other than getting caught and he doesn't see he did way more than the other guys of his era."

And how is that different to any other doper of his era? Indeed and other doper full stop! Seems to me that Lance is being penalised more for his arrogance and abhorrent behaviour than his doping.

If we've learnt nothing else from all this doping over the years it is that it is not old, it hasn't stopped, people are still and will continue to look for a chemically enhanced performance edge.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
i don't care that he doped. i care that he was an asshole. and a bully.

objectively, he's an incredibly interesting guy with an incredibly unique perspective on a sport that i enjoy following.

Ok I’m with you...so where does that leave you on Lance? I find it interesting that people appear to get more upset that he was a doper but care less that he was an asshole. Where are you?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:
The one that doped the best 😜

Really, I wish they would just go away.

Ahhhhh and yet here you are. Commenting on a thread about a man you wish would go away. I find this hypocrisy amusing.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [barsenault] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
barsenault wrote:
because they still cheat...FROOME, Geraint, ALL OF THEM...and if you don’t believe it, once again, I say you have your head up your arse!! #icarus!
So how exactly are they cheating? And if you know then why haven't you reported the fact to the relevant authorities?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [The Red Baron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously? I need to answer that? George H never got caught, he confessed. Most never get caught...it’s their livelihood we are talking about...they will do what they need to in order to feed their families...it’s not even with my time to respond. It’s common sense. The age groupers are cheating because of ego, they want to say they’re the best...it’s a fact of life!!! Get over it. #icarus.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Nope, he has no regret, other than getting caught and he doesn't see he did way more than the other guys of his era."

Lance did not do way more than the others. He was in a unique position that all he had to do was test his form a couple of times pre-Tour, win the Tour, and call it a season. Compare that to someone like Tyler the year he was caught; he was full-on doped to the gills for the Ardennees, the pre-Tour races, the Tour, the Olympics, and the Vuelta. On top of that I know from clients of Dr. Ferrari that Ferrari was very conservative; he advised to take only what worked and as little of that as possible. Compared to teams like Liberty-Seguros who were loading their riders up with dozens of drugs, everything that anyone thought might have a remote chance of making a difference, and as much of those as possible.

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [mjbruiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I guess you are right about the hypocrisy. I guess I might convince others their penalty should be shunning. Did not work with you, but am glad I made you smile.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doping wise you might be right, but Lance also committed several other crimes beyond doping:

Bribery (sysmex and other "donations")
Intimidation (Lemond, Andreu, Hamilton etc)
Libel (Lemond, Emma O'Reilly)
Perjury (SCA/Tailwind case)

I can keep going...

It was never just about the doping.
Quote Reply

Prev Next