Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

End of Vehicle Lease Question
Quote | Reply
The Lease on my Honda Odyessy is going to end in mid-January. I'm leaning heavily towards just paying the residual amount and purchasing the vehicle.

Is there any reason for me to be concerned that the Dealer will try to screw me by some sneaky slight-of-hand? On its surface, the transaction seems very straightforward - pay the residual amount stated on the Lease and the applicable State sales tax.

Any advice from the LR? Thanks...

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Re: End of Vehicle Lease Question [TriHard Indiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriHard Indiana wrote:
The Lease on my Honda Odyessy is going to end in mid-January. I'm leaning heavily towards just paying the residual amount and purchasing the vehicle.

Is there any reason for me to be concerned that the Dealer will try to screw me by some sneaky slight-of-hand? On its surface, the transaction seems very straightforward - pay the residual amount stated on the Lease and the applicable State sales tax.

The dealer has nothing to do with your lease if you're buying it out - that is handled by the lease financing agency. All you will need to do is to come up with the money since that is what is on the contract (of which you have a copy, right?)

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: End of Vehicle Lease Question [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've retained all the paperwork. I actually leased the vehicle directly from the Dealer and I received an email this morning inviting me to come-in and discuss my end-of-lease options. That got me wondering what techniques the Dealer might use in an attempt to (somehow) screw me. Based on your reply, it doesn't appear that that'll happen. Thanks for the speedy repy.

Big Endian wrote:
TriHard Indiana wrote:

The dealer has nothing to do with your lease if you're buying it out - that is handled by the lease financing agency. All you will need to do is to come up with the money since that is what is on the contract (of which you have a copy, right?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most likely they will try to get you to roll your lease over to a new vehicle by giving you some kind of inflated (by their reckoning) end of lease value to your current ride. If they succeed then they continue to make money from you. If the buy out price of your lease is less than the current market price for your vehicle then you should do the buy-out even if all you want to do is to put it on the market yourself.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriHard Indiana wrote:
Yes, I've retained all the paperwork. I actually leased the vehicle directly from the Dealer and I received an email this morning inviting me to come-in and discuss my end-of-lease options. That got me wondering what techniques the Dealer might use in an attempt to (somehow) screw me. Based on your reply, it doesn't appear that that'll happen. Thanks for the speedy repy.

Big Endian wrote:
TriHard Indiana wrote:

The dealer is the finance company ?? never heard of such a thing. Typically the automakers partner with one or two financial companies for leasing. NO clue on Honda though. But Look at your paperwork, it should have a number to call at lease end to get the residual (sometimes they will lower it from what is on the paperwork). Sure the dealer knows your lease is up, and wants you in the store, but to buy it from the finance company should not involve the dealer.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.hondafinancialservices.com/.../purchase-your-lease

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At anytime during your lease, there is a buyout. It should be listed clearly on your monthly statement.

The misconception about leases is that you have to turn in the car or buy it at the end of the lease. Further, if your over your mileage per the lease you have to pay the per mile rate in your lease agreement.

There is a third option- trade in the car. Don’t tell the dealer it’s a lease. Just ask them what the trade in amount would be. Compare that to your buy out of your lease.

If your trade in is $25k and your buy out is $23k, they owe you $2k

Or, vice versa.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: spudone: Jul 29, 19 19:06
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
Most likely they will try to get you to roll your lease over to a new vehicle by giving you some kind of inflated (by their reckoning) end of lease value to your current ride. If they succeed then they continue to make money from you. If the buy out price of your lease is less than the current market price for your vehicle then you should do the buy-out even if all you want to do is to put it on the market yourself.

That's what I did with my lease. Bought it out, drove it for another couple months. Sold it for a couple grand profit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Unless you have horrible credit, or extremely good credit and put stupid $$ down on a lease, your lease is with Honda Financial or US Bank. Dealer is not part of equation.
2. Honda does a better job of lease residual Calc than anYone in the biz. That means you likely owe less than car is worth. That I s a good thing.
3. Spend $100 on a good car wash detail (especially rug shampoo and seat cleaning conditioner) and then take it to Carmax for a quote on buying it outright. Actual street value in a private sale is $1800-2700 over that offer.

Decide what to do then. We are part peak auto. ..for the next 3-4 years most desirable cars coming of lease will be width more than historic averages. . If you have kids, buy it and drive it into the ground....buying a new minivan with kids makes zero sense

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: End of Vehicle Lease Question [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the link made me want a model 3.

It would be a perfect complement to my Jeep Wrangler daily driver.

Do my kids really need to go to college?
Last edited by: J-No: Jul 30, 19 4:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many people get whacked for nicks/dings and other wear and tear. Does this become a major arguing point at end of lease like the initial transaction? That is a major reason I never went this way.
Quote Reply
Re: End of Vehicle Lease Question [ruby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ruby1 wrote:
How many people get whacked for nicks/dings and other wear and tear. Does this become a major arguing point at end of lease like the initial transaction? That is a major reason I never went this way.

Have now leased 3 vehicles turned in 2 already. In short No. they do a pre-inspection and from what I and co-workers have seen if they do find damage, the fee they charge is far less than it would cost to get it fixed. Also GM Financial will wave $500 if you lease again, with that I don't know anyone who has had to pay for damage. Now if your car is beat to shit.....

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: End of Vehicle Lease Question [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:

Decide what to do then. We are part peak auto. ..for the next 3-4 years most desirable cars coming of lease will be width more than historic averages. . If you have kids, buy it and drive it into the ground....buying a new minivan with kids makes zero sense

Good info as the wife mentioned the other day she wants a minivan (but me to drive it as my daily car). Local Honda dealer has 2 Oddesys for a decent price ($20k/ 40k miles).
Quote Reply
Re: End of Vehicle Lease Question [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
mopdahl wrote:

Good info as the wife mentioned the other day she wants a minivan (but me to drive it as my daily car). Local Honda dealer has 2 Oddesys for a decent price ($20k/ 40k miles).

Meh - Our 2001 Odyssey served us well with little kids. 18 years, 175K miles later my wife still uses it to commute. Off -lease is a good way to go too but a new Honda also makes sense for some.

Full disclosure, we also own 2011 Pilot and 2014 Accord.
Last edited by: stillrollin: Jul 30, 19 6:29
Quote Reply
Re: End of Vehicle Lease Question [ruby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ruby1 wrote:

My firm has been leasing me BMW’s since 05’ and I have yet to pay for anything thing when turning the car back in. My current car is due for replacement next month.

I was rear ended in a parking lot a couple months ago with relatively minor cosmetic damage to the bumper. after having the dealer put together an estimate the other driver’s insurance company sent me check for the amount of the estimated repairs. Friday I was looking at replacement cars and had the pre inspection done and the dude informed me that the max charge for a body part is $400 and I’d be best served to just turn it in as is, pay the $400, and pocket the remainder of the insurance pay out.

So my dealer at least is not actively trying to screw me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great tip. Thanks.
Big Endian wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: End of Vehicle Lease Question [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be correct, the paperwork is in Florida so I can't immediatley check. While I negotiated the lease and signed the paperwork at the dealership, perhaps the leasing company is some Honda subsidiary like "Honda Credit", or something like that. I'll confirm in August when I return.

DavHamm wrote:
TriHard Indiana wrote:

Big Endian wrote:
TriHard Indiana wrote:

The dealer is the finance company ?? never heard of such a thing. Typically the automakers partner with one or two financial companies for leasing. NO clue on Honda though. But Look at your paperwork, it should have a number to call at lease end to get the residual (sometimes they will lower it from what is on the paperwork). Sure the dealer knows your lease is up, and wants you in the store, but to buy it from the finance company should not involve the dealer.

Quote Reply
Re: End of Vehicle Lease Question [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate this very much. The van is so far under allowable milege it's ridiculous. I really only drive it January through April. Then, just occasionally when I'm in florida. It's still basically a brand new van.

mopdahl wrote:
1. Unless you have horrible credit, or extremely good credit and put stupid $$ down on a lease, your lease is with Honda Financial or US Bank. Dealer is not part of equation.
2. Honda does a better job of lease residual Calc than anYone in the biz. That means you likely owe less than car is worth. That I s a good thing.
3. Spend $100 on a good car wash detail (especially rug shampoo and seat cleaning conditioner) and then take it to Carmax for a quote on buying it outright. Actual street value in a private sale is $1800-2700 over that offer.

Quote Reply
Re: End of Vehicle Lease Question [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're better than Google. Thanks! Easy peasy...

Quote Reply