Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gilroy Garlic Festival. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
NormM wrote:
And if law enforcement wasn't on sight? This may have been 30, 40, 50 or more killed. This guy ( or maybe guys ) by passed normal security ( which I am surprised was even present at a Garlic Festival ) by coming in through the forest cutting a fence and crossing a creek. It is terrible but in some ways may have been handled as best as was possible. When someone is intent on doing violence it is very difficult to prevent. Stopping them quickly is often the best realistic outcome.

Yeah my thought was metal detectors for a Garlic Festival?

My county fair had a shooting a number of years ago.. yeah it's Alameda Co in norcal and we have some cities that could be considered "rough"... metals detectors are standard
Quote Reply
Re: Gilroy Garlic Festival. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
NormM wrote:
And if law enforcement wasn't on sight? This may have been 30, 40, 50 or more killed. This guy ( or maybe guys ) by passed normal security ( which I am surprised was even present at a Garlic Festival ) by coming in through the forest cutting a fence and crossing a creek. It is terrible but in some ways may have been handled as best as was possible. When someone is intent on doing violence it is very difficult to prevent. Stopping them quickly is often the best realistic outcome.

snuck in through a hole cut in the fence. Had an "AK-47"
Allegedly read neo-nazi writings but that's speculation at this point
Quote Reply
Re: Gilroy Garlic Festival. [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
NormM wrote:

My county fair had a shooting a number of years ago.. yeah it's Alameda Co in norcal and we have some cities that could be considered "rough"... metals detectors are standard

In my mind I imagine a different sort of crowd at a Garlic Festival vs. a County or State Fair.
Quote Reply
Re: Gilroy Garlic Festival. [crowny2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crowny2 wrote:
NormM wrote:

So we just live with it, is that what you are saying? Can't do anything about it so just deal with it?
Every other industrialized country has the same amount of shootings, so obviously there is nothing that can be done. So we just need to deal with it, like every other country somehow manages.
Quote Reply
Re: Gilroy Garlic Festival. [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
crowny2 wrote:
NormM wrote:

So we just live with it, is that what you are saying? Can't do anything about it so just deal with it?

Every other industrialized country has the same amount of shootings, so obviously there is nothing that can be done. So we just need to deal with it, like every other country somehow manages.

I wouldn't say these countries that we are behind is something to be proud of, nor do I think it should be something we should just "deal with". Frankly I think that is a bull shit excuse to not do anything because we are too damn lazy. I've been pretty quiet on here for a long time only posting occasionally but this is crazy. I admit I don't have a solution but at the same time I don't believe there isn't one. A realistic one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crowny2 wrote:
chaparral wrote:
crowny2 wrote:
NormM wrote:

I wouldn't say these countries that we are behind is something to be proud of, nor do I think it should be something we should just "deal with". Frankly I think that is a bull shit excuse to not do anything because we are too damn lazy. I've been pretty quiet on here for a long time only posting occasionally but this is crazy. I admit I don't have a solution but at the same time I don't believe there isn't one. A realistic one.

Why are all these people in tropical places offing each other? Dominican Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, Belize, the Bahamas, Virgin Islands? Sounds like a list of places to go diving.

Looks like the US is doing better than I would have assumed.

As for your question, no, we don't have to accept this (mass shootings) as normal but no one seems to be able to come up with a good plan. And yes, bad people will always be able to do bad things.

1. I would propose a ban on all autos ( already have this I think)

2. No one with any history of ever taking any meds or seeking out any help for mental illness is allowed to have a firearm of any kind for the rest of their life.

3. No semi auto pistols can be sold going forward from this day on.

4. Waiting time of 20 days to buy any firearm that includes a background check paid for by the purchaser of the gun.

5. National registry for every gun owned in America ( voluntary but move to mandatory)

6. Anytime a gun is used in any crime its an automatic felony with no parole.

7. Gun shows are outlawed. Can only buy a gun at a licensed and approved dealers.

8. No personal sales of guns between citizens.

9. No gifting of firearms to anyone at any time unless they have passed the 20 day waiting and background.

10. Have to have insurance on each gun owned with liability coverage up to $100,000.

11. Have get a license and take a test to own a gun of any kind.

Most of these probably run amok of the 2nd amendment so need to change that pesky constitution first.

Sadly, these things may not put a dent in mass shootings. Its a complex problem but we could at least say we are doing something.

What are your plans?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doing something "meaningful" will be very tricky.. and you will likely step on alot of constitutional toes and it most likely not stop the "nutjobs" and criminals.

maybe some states are too lax in gun sales... make them all as tough as California maybe or whatever state is the most stringent. (which I know does little for the criminals that already have them)
Last edited by: spntrxi: Jul 29, 19 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: Gilroy Garlic Festival. [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
crowny2 wrote:
chaparral wrote:
crowny2 wrote:
NormM wrote:

Why are all these people in tropical places offing each other? Dominican Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, Belize, the Bahamas, Virgin Islands? Sounds like a list of places to go diving.

As for your question, no, we don't have to accept this (mass shootings) as normal but no one seems to be able to come up with a good plan. And yes, bad people will always be able to do bad things.

2. No one with any history of ever taking any meds or seeking out any help for mental illness is allowed to have a firearm of any kind for the rest of their life.

4. Waiting time of 20 days to buy any firearm that includes a background check paid for by the purchaser of the gun.

5. National registry for every gun owned in America ( voluntary but move to mandatory)

7. Gun shows are outlawed. Can only buy a gun at a licensed and approved dealers.

9. No gifting of firearms to anyone at any time unless they have passed the 20 day waiting and background.

10. Have to have insurance on each gun owned with liability coverage up to $100,000.

Most of these probably run amok of the 2nd amendment so need to change that pesky constitution first.

Sadly, these things may not put a dent in mass shootings. Its a complex problem but we could at least say we are doing something.

What are your plans?

I think this list is pretty good. I would add limit on the capacity of magazines. You can see in this instance that the police were on site and responded quickly, but the killer was able to do lots of damage very quickly.

Also, I think you could allow the presonal sale between two people, but it would be more like selling a car to someone else. You sign over the title of the gun and the person has to register. This system can also be used for gifting it to someone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say you can't do anything about it. We can and we do... but it is delusional to pass laws and then not enforce them and claim the solution are more laws and control. Look at Chicago and all the gun laws and restrictions .... It's about dealing with the bad/evil and mentally disturbed people. We don't seem to have the will to do that. Pragmatically this is the best way to deal with violence that will have the most impact. Mass shooters like sieral killers are outliers and much more difficult to deal with or prevent. Mental health escalating history of violence are often there but not always and if we aren't keeping known violent gun offenders behind bars what chance is there we are going to proactively institutionalize people that seem off and potentially violent.
CHICAGO (CBS) — Many of the gun offenders arrested by Chicago police over the weekend walked out of jail on bond, without having to pay a dime.
As of Monday morning, 19 people had been arrested on gun-related charges. By Monday afternoon, 11 were back on the street, some with prior gun offenses.
“We know who a lot of these people are,” Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said. “And how do we know that? Because we keep arresting them over and over and over and over and over again. And it’s just a vicious cycle.”
In a tweet Sunday night, a Chicago police spokesperson criticized the practice of letting gun offenders out on Individual Recognizance Bonds or “I-Bonds.”
An I-Bond allows a defendant to be released without having to pay, on the promise that he or she will return for the next court date.
The tweet said, in part, “Letting gun offenders out on I-Bonds shows there is absolutely no repercussion for carrying illegal guns In Chicago.”
Last edited by: NormM: Jul 29, 19 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your post is a slight of hand statistic worthy of Penn and Teller. ( Death Rates ) factor out suicide and specific hot bed urban violence areas ( like the aforementioned Chicago ) that is shooting itself with the way it is dealing with violent criminals and it paints a very different picture. https://www.theatlantic.com/...ers-suicides/578812/
Quote Reply
Re: Gilroy Garlic Festival. [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
crowny2 wrote:
chaparral wrote:
crowny2 wrote:
NormM wrote:

What are your plans?

I'd only add:

12. No buying bolt cutters.
(He used bolt cutters to cut the fence. Without them, he'd still be trying to get in.)
Quote Reply
Re: Gilroy Garlic Festival. [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
sslothrop wrote:
No info about the shooter's race/religion. Hmmm.

https://www.cnn.com/...-material/index.html

"Extremist material was found in a home used by the Gilroy festival shooter, source says"

The CNN article is pretty clear about the white supremacy stuff. Any idea was the other "extremist material" was? I can't seem to find it in the CNN story. And they usually do such great reporting.
Quote Reply

Prev Next