Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Renting an RV. What do I need to know?
Quote | Reply
Family of 4, 7-10 days. Never driven anything bigger then Nissan X-Terra. What do I need to know? I don't want one of those giant RVs that look like mansions on wheels with a car being towed behind and cost more then a house. Where to start?
Many thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Renting an RV. What do I need to know? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need to know: how to drive it, and as importantly, how to dump the tanks without spilling crap all over the dump station/campground.

I'm sure others will have more to add. We've not rented: husband used to have a huge 5th wheel, we downsized to a truck camper not quite 2 years ago, and it is easier to get around in (but very cozy--good for just the 2 of us). I do have my own pair of poop gloves, though. :) Proud days. LOL

For whoever is doing the cooking, there are websites out there that have ideas for food you can prepare before you head out on the road, which sure helps with trying to make meals in a limited space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest the smallest and simplest RV you can - even a small trailler or pop up if you have a tow vehicle. We own a 21' trailer.
If you are going to one spot - the bigger motorhome style will mean you have to break camp everytime you need or want to leave for the day
Have you tented or would you consider a tent? Tenting is a great way to get started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Know the maximum length of RV the places you are going can accommodate.

Know how much gas it will take and it's range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've rented motorhomes several times. My recommendation is a class C for your first time. They range in length from about 24' to 33'. They're essentially built on a van chassis so they drive like a large van. Acceleration and braking take more time due the size, and turning corners requires a wider turn. There's a variety of floorplans to suit a variety of needs/wants. Pretty much all class C motorhomes are capable of handling a family of 4 with ease. All will have a bathroom and kitchen. The rental agency should give you specific details pertaining to the unit rented. Make sure you understand how to hook up all the utilities (water, electric, sewer), how to operate the generator if needed, how to operate the heat or AC, and propane.

We've been to Yellowstone with a rented motorhome and had a good time. In September we're going to Moab in a 33' motorhome. We are parking it there and renting a car to get around in the area. This is the first time we've rented a car in conjunction with renting a motorhome, but logistics make it necessary.

Our rental this year and last year was done with Lazydays and was pretty painless. Other times we've rented with a local company.

You can find lots of info at motorhomes.com

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Tri2HaveFun said, all you need is a Class C. Nothing fancy. Simple. Screw renting. Buy it.

Here: https://www.ebay.com/...PHylwFRoC6yIQAvD_BwE

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just going to say to rent one of the 25 footers on the Mercedes platform, a lot of companies make them. JSA just posted a link to what they look like. They drive easy, get good mileage, and will fit 4 people comfortably. They have all the amenities of a large coach, and can park just about anywhere. I camped with a buddy who rented one with his family of 4, two kids 12 years old, and they were fine in it.

Now they are not cheap, but most coaches are pretty expensive that are newer. Whatever you get, Class C for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What others have said, and know the height of your vehicle..

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Class C will fit most of your needs - if the RV place has on line videos then watch them - especially for long down hill roads. Also most RV companies will need you to have proof of insurance from your own insurance Company - specifically that you are covered for rental RV or buy the RV companies own insurance. Have fun

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Renting an RV. What do I need to know? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all, good tips. I don't plan to by, after all I am just a humble physio, not a filthy rich lawyer :-). This is sort of a test for next year, a month or so long trip to Europe, either RV-ing around or a mini cruise boat in the Adriatic.
Quote Reply
Re: Renting an RV. What do I need to know? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Like Tri2HaveFun said, all you need is a Class C. Nothing fancy. Simple. Screw renting. Buy it.

Here: https://www.ebay.com/...PHylwFRoC6yIQAvD_BwE

Is that some kind of sick joke? Buy a $76k rec vehicle?

No thanks.

We rented a camping trailer off outdoorsy (like Airbnb for rec vehicles) which was perfect for us plus a toddler and dog. Since then we have just rented privately off the owner of the trailer. It's awesome, no maintenance, no cleaning, no storage issues. You have to use a rec vehicle quite a bit to make it worth it over renting.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We rented from CuiseAmerica once. They have some good videos you can find to cover the basics like how to be careful of the backend swinging out.

One thing to be aware of is the rental places have limited hours and may not be open 7 days a week. They are also like hotels in that you can pickup in the afternoon and drop off in the morning. So we had to pay an extra day, picked up in the afternoon. That gave us time to load it up at home. But we also had to get a permit from the town to park it overnight on the street.

We have friends who own a big class A. They have an app that lets them know where they can camp overnight for free. Besides WalMart, a lot of places like wineries are now letting people camp in their parking lots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring a tarp or a fly you can string up over a picnic table and do most (if not all) of your cooking outdoors on a butane camp stove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Road trip or just one campground? Whereabouts?

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are your kids? Lots don’t have legal configurations for car seats if that is still a concern.

Watch the winds and passing by semis if you’re not used to a higher profile vehicle.
Quote Reply
Re: Renting an RV. What do I need to know? [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One, maybe 2 campgrounds, interior of British Columbia, Penticton area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
One, maybe 2 campgrounds, interior of British Columbia, Penticton area.

Nice.

Just got back from that area. Love the Okanagan.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for the smallest class A you can find from your rental agency, you won't regret it. The flat front gives you better visibility and you won't have a bunk obscuring the upward view from the drivers seat like you do in a class C. Plus they just feel better to drive; you sit right on top of the wheels, have a giant flat windshield in front of you, and can see everywhere. I rented one, first time ever driving a RV, a few years ago and it was sweet. Rear view cameras on the side mirrors, giant view out the front, the works. Campground hookups were a breeze and I had one that was small enough to take to the fringes of small towns, park out of the way, and then walk in. Any larger and a second car would have been needed. Only thing I wish I'd had was the elevated stands for the sewage hoses. If they are resting on the ground then they don't drain as well and some manual lifting is needed to make sure everything is cleared out of the hose before you pack up.
Quote Reply