Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
No question I recommend the BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit . I have taken it on airport shuttles, etc. not really an issue. If your bike is a 56 or smaller and you don't have too much stack, the simplicity of packing/unpacking along with the security of a hard case is definitely worth it.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if it's significantly bigger than the standard BBA?
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
CrazyR wrote:
Thanks for the post. I was wondering after owning the easyfit. Is it worth being a bigger size or would you recommend the standard BBA? I have a disc brake TT bike with internal routing and I like the idea of putting it easily in the box but I'm not sure if it is worth the size difference. It would be great to get anyones thought on this.

I have a number of races coming up and one with the family so I don't want to get a huge box that won't be able to accomodate our large luggages.

Any feedback would great?

The standard sized BBA you would need to take your bike apart for it to fit. FWIW, we can get 2 BBA tri fit cases + 2 very large pieces of luggage, + portable trainer + backpack sized bags in a Honda CRV

The BBA tri fit case is it the easy fit or the original? I'm assuming you need to put the back seat down to fit in a Honda CRV?
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [CrazyR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also would still go with the EasyFit. Like I said I had both (when I posted the comparison with the pictures of both) and would NOT go back to the regular one. I actually sold the regular one since.

Of course it helps that I do not have to touch the aerobar or saddle. So much less hassle to pack and unpack. The small amount of work I do (removal of certain things and extra padding) I put on myself to be on the safe side and keeping the paint job in good shape.

Opinions seems to all point in the direction of the "EasyFit" version.
Hope this helps!

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrazyR wrote:
david wrote:
No question I recommend the BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit . I have taken it on airport shuttles, etc. not really an issue. If your bike is a 56 or smaller and you don't have too much stack, the simplicity of packing/unpacking along with the security of a hard case is definitely worth it.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if it's significantly bigger than the standard BBA?

Definitely bigger and it is shaped differently. Oddly, seems about the same for maneuvering and traveling. In a station wagon or SUV (small) I have been able to fit it in sort of at an angle with just one of the back seats down. So, I can carry 3 people, the bike box, and our bags in a small/medium SUV. Definitely squished in but we have dome it.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrazyR wrote:
Upstaterun wrote:
CrazyR wrote:
Thanks for the post. I was wondering after owning the easyfit. Is it worth being a bigger size or would you recommend the standard BBA? I have a disc brake TT bike with internal routing and I like the idea of putting it easily in the box but I'm not sure if it is worth the size difference. It would be great to get anyones thought on this.

I have a number of races coming up and one with the family so I don't want to get a huge box that won't be able to accomodate our large luggages.

Any feedback would great?

The standard sized BBA you would need to take your bike apart for it to fit. FWIW, we can get 2 BBA tri fit cases + 2 very large pieces of luggage, + portable trainer + backpack sized bags in a Honda CRV

The BBA tri fit case is it the easy fit or the original? I'm assuming you need to put the back seat down to fit in a Honda CRV?

The BBA Tri Fit Easy fit is what I am talking about. Yes, we put the back seat down for TWO of those boxes to fit in the Honda along with luggage, but what David wrote, it sounds like he can get ONE box in putting just one seat down in the back. Agree with all that David wrote. It's a great box.
Last edited by: Upstaterun: Apr 17, 23 10:24
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my BBA Aero bike case. I've used it a number of times, however just with my road bike so far. I don't have to disable anything except the pedals. However, I will say the box is very large. When traveling with other bags for the family, we've sometimes run into issues getting transport successfully. Usually you need a full size 3 row SUV or Van unless traveling very light. We've had to grab 2 ubers once because the first was fit with people and the box and all our other bags went in the other lol.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other thing about the BBA Aero bike case is it exceeds the shipping dimensions for UPS and FEDEX.

With the premier case I often just shipped my bike to/from races via fedex or ups. Can't do that with the BBA easy aero case.

This is something that can cause you to rethink some travel plans on the spot. Ask me how I know hahaha

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The other thing about the BBA Aero bike case is it exceeds the shipping dimensions for UPS and FEDEX.

With the premier case I often just shipped my bike to/from races via fedex or ups. Can't do that with the BBA easy aero case.

This is something that can cause you to rethink some travel plans on the spot. Ask me how I know hahaha

The premier case quite a bit smaller. How does it compare in terms of durability vs the BBA easyfit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our case is made from ABSPC - its' the strongest material used in high quality cases and luggage.

Just to follow up on what was said by Desert Dude - we ship all our cases to customers via UPS so we know they take and ship them every day without issue.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrazyR wrote:

The premier case quite a bit smaller. How does it compare in terms of durability vs the BBA easyfit?

My premier case has been shipped xc via fedex or ups at least 8x, flown about 15x including 3 international trips and is still good to go.

The only reason I got a BBA was bc I got a disc brake TT bike and was struggling on what to do with the discs. In hindsight I should have just taken them off when shipping/flying then reattached them.

I have gotten the premier to fly free a few times, never the BBA even with an upgraded status on one of my two preferred airlines

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

x2
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone travel with the BBA Easyfit using Air Canada? I noticed that their bicycle policy requires the handlebars to be fixed side ways. See note from their website.

Packing instructions
Sports equipment bags and cases can’t contain clothing or other personal items. They must be used only to carry sports equipment.
  • The bicycle must be placed - with handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed - in a rigid and/or hard-shell container** specifically designed for shipping or in a bicycle suitcase (in the case of collapsible bicycles).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrazyR wrote:
Anyone travel with the BBA Easyfit using Air Canada? I noticed that their bicycle policy requires the handlebars to be fixed side ways. See note from their website.

Packing instructions
Sports equipment bags and cases can’t contain clothing or other personal items. They must be used only to carry sports equipment.
  • The bicycle must be placed - with handlebars fixed sideways and pedals removed - in a rigid and/or hard-shell container** specifically designed for shipping or in a bicycle suitcase (in the case of collapsible bicycles).

I would be incredibly surprised if anyone points that out during a flight. I think that's probably to minimize risk in a lot of different shipping options, but everything about the BBA screams protection and quality.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to hear if anyone has used the BBA Tri Aero Easy for a Specialized Shiv current model size Large? According to BBA's size guide, it should fit with only lowering the seat post (I am 190 cm), however, it seems unrealistic to me looking at inside-box photos of tri bikes size M barely making it. Also, specifically, can the shark fin remain in place? The stock wheels plus Roval's disc wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [erik2021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you guys use the BBA easyfit? Do you take off the rear derailer and chains? What else do you put in the box? If you pack other things in the box, what do you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrazyR wrote:
When you guys use the BBA easyfit? Do you take off the rear derailer and chains? What else do you put in the box? If you pack other things in the box, what do you use?

I always take mine off and wrap it in bubble wrap and tape it tape the frame. Don't bother taking chain off. Normally also put shoes, helmet and wettie in but depends on airline and if weight is an issue I'll take those carry on. Bubble wrap frame as much as possible, or wrap with towels.
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My $0.02 on this box after traveling with it a bit:
—Don’t bother with any additional padding anywhere—just not needed
—Do 100% take off your rear derailleur and chain. I took mine off, padded it, taped it to the chainstay…and TSA must have pulled it out to inspect it, because it was out of the padding, u taped to the frame, and bounced around all over my freaking brand new Factor. Thankfully all superficial damage but still, highly, highly, annoying. Next time: pulled it totally off, took chain totally off, carried them on in my hand luggage.
—It’s really tightly sized even for someone who is 5’10 utilizing a 54cm frame. Just only barely clears SL7 & Ostro. Haven’t tried P5 yet. Would absolutely not bother if you are any bigger / ride a larger frame
—I wish the clasps were more robust. TSA jammed one on sideways and I had a real struggle to get it off then bend it back into shape. Also can start to hear some sounds / see some bending from the bottom hinge. This goes for box generally also—wish plastic was stiffer & clamshell interface more defined (part of this relates to hinge flimsiness). It’s a good design but their margin must be incredible given materials / manufacturing aren’t super high quality.
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [AGTC1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say padding the frame isn't needed, sure don't bother if there is nothing loose in the box, but otherwise its well worth the precaution. Bubble wrap is cheap, light and easy.

And large frames fit fine.
Last edited by: lastlap: Jul 14, 23 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [AGTC1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone notice the gears on the rear wheel rubs / chips the bikebox? It seems to wear the box quite a bit. Does anyone do anything to reduce this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CrazyR wrote:

You can pad the frame with foam, bubble wrap, towels.

I personally use a towel, my wettie, shoes etc. The box is big enough that you can take a 10d trip pack everything you need to race and do whatever after in the box and take just a backpack on the plan.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: BikeBox Alan Aero Easyfit bike case? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
CrazyR wrote:

You can pad the frame with foam, bubble wrap, towels.

I personally use a towel, my wettie, shoes etc. The box is big enough that you can take a 10d trip pack everything you need to race and do whatever after in the box and take just a backpack on the plan.

Do you do anything with the cogs? It seems that cogs on wearing down the box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't do anything other than take off wheels and pedals. I drag my bike all over the world - it has been from California to Europe at least 5 times in this last year (I go to Germany for work and take my bike with me). My seat and handlebars/aerobars fit as-is, even with BTS bottle cage. I've never had anything get damaged.

TSA opens my box 100% of the time. I get a new TSA slip every trip. I just take painters tape and tape the chain and derailer to the frame.

I don't have any wiggle room for extra weight (staying within the free 50 pound checked bag limit) since I use the extra space as luggage. I use those cheap string backpacks you get at races to pack stuff into and I put it between the handlebars.

I made the mistake once of packing it full and it weighted over 75 pounds. This cost me $200 with the airline and it was awful to drag around. I am better off paying for a 2nd checked bag and keeping the box below 50 pounds.

Also, a wet wetsuit weighs more than a dry one. I raced and flew home that night and my wetsuit wasn't dry in the box. It pushed it over 50 pounds so I pulled it out and had it in my carry-on, which didn't smell great in the plane.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply

Prev Next