Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Darwin strikes again
Quote | Reply
Woman dies while trying to reach the bus that Chris Mccandless died in.

https://apnews.com/..._campaign=SocialFlow

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been to that bus. The Teklanika is not to be messed with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be staying in Healy next month when we visit Denali; as much as I have enjoyed the book over the years, I'm not dumb enough to try to find the bus given the challenges of crossing the river.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I'm going to be staying in Healy next month when we visit Denali; as much as I have enjoyed the book over the years, I'm not dumb enough to try to find the bus given the challenges of crossing the river.

You should at least get to Stampede Road and take the 1st part of the trail in until you reach the river.
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are going to do that but going no further.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:

From what I read, the river was running fast and deep do to recent rains. My guess is the crossing is dependent on recent weather, so if there have not been recent storms might be a simple crossing.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have read the book and seen the movie but still not sure about the bus. Did he know it was there and that was his destination or did he stumble upon it?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I have read the book and seen the movie but still not sure about the bus. Did he know it was there and that was his destination or did he stumble upon it?

Pretty sure he stumbled upon it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
hblake wrote:

I don’t remember but he seemed pretty unprepared in general, so that would be my guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

From what I read, the river was running fast and deep do to recent rains. My guess is the crossing is dependent on recent weather, so if there have not been recent storms might be a simple crossing.

It's never simple (except in winter when it's frozen)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:

They have a replica of the bus at the 49th State brewery in Healy. I recommend going there, having a beer, and calling it good enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:
hblake wrote:

I don’t remember but he seemed pretty unprepared in general, so that would be my guess.

Yeah, he stumbled on it. There's a lot of cabins in that area as well (at least one of which he vandalized).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it worth it? How was your experience?

I live here in Alaska and I feel they should move the bus out of that location. It’s pulling too many people to it that are ill-prepared and/or attempt something they have no business attempting.

But that is Alaska in a nutshell. Follow the laws otherwise enter at your own risk and be ready to suffer the consequences.
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

I live here in Alaska and I feel they should move the bus out of that location. It’s pulling too many people to it that are ill-prepared and/or attempt something they have no business attempting.

But that is Alaska in a nutshell. Follow the laws otherwise enter at your own risk and be ready to suffer the consequences.

I live here too and agree - they should get rid of that damn bus. I don't really keep track of the body count but it must be half a dozen by now. Senseless deaths, all of them, including the one that started it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

My friends and I went 2 years after the book came out. We have a lot of backcountry skills so we felt we were mostly prepared for the adventure. The beavers created a few dams that flooded parts of the trail so we ended up hiking a lot in water. Was it worth it - absolutely. Should the authorities move the bus - maybe now that there is a fatality? The one thing the bus has going for it is that it's in pretty unforgiving territory so the Instagramers will give up 1 hour or 2 into the trail. Here's my friend on the trail - taken with that technology known as slide film...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Should the authorities move the bus - maybe now that there is a fatality?"

There's been more than just the recent fatality. As I've said, there have been maybe half a dozen over the years. All young idealists in search of adventure, drowned in what is a dangerous river.

BTW she was newlywed less than one month and her husband was there with her.

Krakauer's book and Penn's film have created an attractive nuisance. Innocent (if naive) young people continue to die, and State resources are expended uselessly for body recovery and rescues. As usual, the profits have been privatized and the costs are being socialized. The fucking bus should be removed, and Krakauer and Penn should be sent the bill. Yes, I do feel strongly about this.
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your assessment. Has the state considered moving the bus to the other side of the Teklanika?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
I agree with your assessment. Has the state considered moving the bus to the other side of the Teklanika?

There's occasional talk of moving the bus, but given the current state budget difficulties and the resulting chaos in state government I don't think anything will happen.

In the good old days someone would've talked to the Army, and a Chinook would've picked up the bus and dropped it in a lake somewhere. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The irony here is that McCandless was in search of his own path and so these dimwits go out in search of their own path... by following his.

Get rid of the bus already.
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
The irony here is that McCandless was in search of his own path and so these dimwits go out in search of their own path... by following his.

That's obviously easier said than done. There must be reasons why the bus wasn't removed originally. And now those reasons are multiplied--like roads not being there anymore and overgrown with trees for miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

That's obviously easier said than done. There must be reasons why the bus wasn't removed originally. And now those reasons are multiplied--like roads not being there anymore and overgrown with trees for miles.

Just let everyone who makes it there take a souvenir with them. It'll go away eventually
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:

Just let everyone who makes it there take a souvenir with them. It'll go away eventually

Ha! So much genius in that proposal. They could just pull it someplace safer and then sell permits to take a piece of it. They'd make money and remove a danger at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

"You're all individuals!"
..."I'm not"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHbzSif78qQ
Quote Reply
Re: Darwin strikes again [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

"You're all individuals!"
..."I'm not"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHbzSif78qQ

A current song by Ava Max (I have kids)

“It’s okay to be different...
because baby so am I.”
Quote Reply