Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Land of the free... [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
[What's more likely:

1. Due to the conflicting documents and being in the car with his brother who entered the US illegally, they were confused about the individuals status.
2. Racist border patrol/immigration people are going out and rounding up Mexican Americans and illegally detaining them.

And that makes it ok to ignore the constitutions? Why do you think it is acceptable to detain an american citizen for over 3 weeks, without allowing them to contact anyone, no access to lawyer, or even going in front of judge.

if they were confused about the documentation, why did they keep him for 3 weeks?[/quote]For the last time, I never said it was OK. It was a mistake, one I think was understandable given the circumstances. You're using black and white thinking, a cognitive distortion. If they thought the individual entered the country illegally, he had no constitutional rights. Why do you think the House recently passed a $4.5 BILLION border funding bill? I'm assuming it was largely in part of all the people trying to enter the US and having to detain them for longer periods of time than anyone wants, just like what happened to the individual in question.
Quote Reply
Re: Land of the free... [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
chaparral wrote:
[What's more likely:

1. Due to the conflicting documents and being in the car with his brother who entered the US illegally, they were confused about the individuals status.
2. Racist border patrol/immigration people are going out and rounding up Mexican Americans and illegally detaining them.

And that makes it ok to ignore the constitutions? Why do you think it is acceptable to detain an american citizen for over 3 weeks, without allowing them to contact anyone, no access to lawyer, or even going in front of judge.

if they were confused about the documentation, why did they keep him for 3 weeks?

For the last time, I never said it was OK. It was a mistake, one I think was understandable given the circumstances. You're using black and white thinking, a cognitive distortion. If they thought the individual entered the country illegally, he had no constitutional rights. Why do you think the House recently passed a $4.5 BILLION border funding bill? I'm assuming it was largely in part of all the people trying to enter the US and having to detain them for longer periods of time than anyone wants, just like what happened to the individual in question.[/quote]
You are 100% wrong here. He is a citizen, he has constitutional rights. Those rights just don't disappear if the government wants them to. That is the whole point of the constitution, that the government cannot deny you those rights. You understand how dangerous your line of thinking is, right? You are saying, if the government wants to, it can just assume you are not a citizen and deny all your rights under the constitution. You are honestly saying that it is ok to deny someone their rights, because a document had an error in it. That is wild.

Read how he was treated in the facility. They tried multiple times for him to sign a document claiming he was not a citizen and they could deport him. In your scenario where this is an honest mistake, why would they do that? If they couldn't prove he was not a citizen, why didn't they release him, why keep him locked up and try and get him to admit it? If it was a mistake, why keep him locked up after they couldn't show he not a citizen?

Also, you are 100% wrong, because even if he was not a citizen, he still has constitutional rights.
Quote Reply

Prev Next