Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New scott plasma for Kona ?! [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Plasma 5 in a XL is bigger than the IA in a 58 (but neither is bigger than a B14).

Do you have your armpad X/Y?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: New scott plasma for Kona ?! [leontuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • Plasma 6 disc / HMX frame
  • SRAM RED eTap AXS
  • Zipp 808 NSW
  • Syncros Creston
  • € 14.999,00

Quote Reply
Re: New scott plasma for Kona ?! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And honestly who cares what Scott does. Finding a dealer in the US is pretty dang tough. Then finding a dealer in the US who understands tri bikes is even a bigger ask.

Scott has a pretty good product but their marketing & pull through in the US is shit on their best day.

A few years back, when the Scott Plasma was released, I seem to recall that Dan Empfield gave it 5-Stars - said it was the most underappreciated top level Tri bike on the market!

When Dan says those sorts of things about a brand, it's Gold!

At the time I was selling ad space in the Official IRONMAN Race/Event Programs for North America. I recall sending along the article with Dan's endorsement and a bot of a pitch on an ad in the IM Program to whoever was in charge of Marketing for Scott in North America at the time. Followed up a few times, via phone, social media, and eMail - never heard anything back.

They seem to be more focussed on MTB right now.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 16, 19 7:22
Quote Reply
Re: New scott plasma for Kona ?! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I don't blame them. It's a much bigger market and their mtb platform is pretty slick. Every mountain bike they make comes from a handful of molds so their tooling cost is much lower than you'd expect for such a diverse product line.
Quote Reply
Re: New scott plasma for Kona ?! [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My retul bike fit had a stack and reach of 590 and 445 respectively and saddle height of 887 I can send you the full report privately.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: New scott plasma for Kona ?! [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am actually stunned given the investment and lack of return that companies are still innovating TT bikes.

Why?

Bike brands still trying to do a "cervelo"!

Bike brands still working on the trickle down technology strategy.

If nothing else, it get's people talking about the brand, get's media coverage, etc . . so there is some marketing value that does spill over.

I recall when I was working at Sugoi years ago, we would always have at least one really loud, and colorful cycling jersey in the line-up. The magzines and the media always wanted to get pictures of these jerseys. Shops would order them and use them in their merchandising and their shop displays and windows. We would do ALL of this, knowing that 90%+ of customers when they get to the cash register are buying something either black or white in color!!

Quote Reply
Re: New scott plasma for Kona ?! [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
writhe wrote:
leontuna wrote:
Any news about it ?!

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...5-triathlontt-bikes/

Well, a 5 year old article is fairly new in the grand scheme of the universe.

Hehehehehe
Quote Reply
Re: New scott plasma for Kona ?! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't blame them. It's a much bigger market and their mtb platform is pretty slick. Every mountain bike they make comes from a handful of molds so their tooling cost is much lower than you'd expect for such a diverse product line.

Results help - for a year there they had BOTH men's and women's MTB World Champions wearing Rainbow Jersey's.

That does help with the marketing dollar allocation, where you will be spending dollars, allocating dollars and resources - even in new product development areas!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
And honestly who cares what Scott does. Finding a dealer in the US is pretty dang tough. Then finding a dealer in the US who understands tri bikes is even a bigger ask.

Scott has a pretty good product but their marketing & pull through in the US is shit on their best day.

A few years back, when the Scott Plasma was released, I seem to recall that Dan Empfield gave it 5-Stars - said it was the most underappreciated top level Tri bike on the market!

When Dan says those sorts of things about a brand, it's Gold!

At the time I was selling ad space in the Official IRONMAN Race/Event Programs for North America. I recall sending along the article with Dan's endorsement and a bot of a pitch on an ad in the IM Program to whoever was in charge of Marketing for Scott in North America at the time. Followed up a few times, via phone, social media, and eMail - never heard anything back.

I bought one of the original Plasmas. I thought it look faster standing still than I could ride it. Within a couple of months, the LBS no longer sold Scott. I vaguely remember something about bad blood between Cannonade and Scott. I believe I was told C-dale told the LBS, "Them or us." I do not know if that's true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Results help - for a year there they had BOTH men's and women's MTB World Champions wearing Rainbow Jersey's

So I guess by that logic we're soon to be riding Canyon in all disciplines, given the investment they're making in MVDP ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next