Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Venue: Arthur Ashe Stadium, Flushing, NY
Today: Pro-Am for $3m to chosen charities
Tomorrow 1pm: Duos competition, 50 teams, 6 games, winners split $3m
Sunday 1pm: Solos competition, 100 players, 6 games, winner takes $3m
Total prize money $30m

Should be a pretty cool event.

Honestly when I've seen those top guys doing what they do, it's more impressive than top athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Inaugural Fortnite World Cup [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How can someone watch it live? My sons will be all about it.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Inaugural Fortnite World Cup [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first stop would be Twitch.tv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't believe I'm saying this but I'll be watching. The skill level of the top players is truly mind-boggling.
Quote Reply
Re: Inaugural Fortnite World Cup [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Can't believe I'm saying this but I'll be watching. The skill level of the top players is truly mind-boggling.

It just doesn’t seem possible but then again I have all the deficiencies of a near 50 year old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My college-aged sons are geeked about this event. It's crazy that there's $30 million in prize money for a video game tournament. What's crazier still is that one day soon it won't seem crazy at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kids are rooting for Lachlan in an unsustainable way. They're going bonkers.
Quote Reply
Re: Inaugural Fortnite World Cup [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
How can someone watch it live? My sons will be all about it.

There is a Fortnite YouTube channel that will have it live.
Quote Reply
Re: Inaugural Fortnite World Cup [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Venue: Arthur Ashe Stadium, Flushing, NY
Today: Pro-Am for $3m to chosen charities
Tomorrow 1pm: Duos competition, 50 teams, 6 games, winners split $3m
Sunday 1pm: Solos competition, 100 players, 6 games, winner takes $3m
Total prize money $30m

Should be a pretty cool event.

Honestly when I've seen those top guys doing what they do, it's more impressive than top athletes.

At some point in time they will actually become athletes, maybe the body might not be as important, but the mind will have to be very sharp. Eventually people will realize that what they put into their bodies, how much they sleep, etc. Should be interesting to watch the players evolve. My guess is that players with more personality and more Youtube clout will get hosed by players that simply have better genetic traits + work harder.

Should be interesting to watch the evolution. In addition, how long before doping becomes an issue. Will they test for Adderall and Vyvanse? Will there be a conspiracy at some point with eSports/Epic tweaking little things in the game in favor of personalities?

And to think Youtube sold for a 1.65 billion. Deal of the century.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Inaugural Fortnite World Cup [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 1
(The Pro-Am games started around 5:35 in the stream.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never played Fortnite and not even really sure how its played and have no intentions of starting.

So how the hell did I end up burning my entire Sunday watching the Day 3 Finals? Sad. Sad.

Quote Reply
Re: Inaugural Fortnite World Cup [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
I've never played Fortnite and not even really sure how its played and have no intentions of starting.

So how the hell did I end up burning my entire Sunday watching the Day 3 Finals? Sad. Sad.

I watched a little. Fwiw, I actually played my first game about two weeks ago when visiting my sister's family and their son ask me to play. I have played some since as I was 1/8th gamer growing up and gamed at a pretty high level but haven't really gamed in about 15 years. I have to say, even watching isn't that exciting personally, I would rather play than watch.

I think what is more exciting is the case-study here with the 30 million prize purse. Is it sustainable? What they basically just did was give every kid and excuse to play and tell their parents what the benefits and potential value is.

The prize purse made a huge headline across all major news because it makes a good news story. Who doesn't want to hear about the gamers who took home 3 million. The question though is this sustainable. I noticed the kids (the average age of the players was 16) were given Nike jackets on stage. Will these kids sign individual endorsements or will the sponsors choose to sponsor the events instead.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Inaugural Fortnite World Cup [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time I checked, Epic Games has brought in over $2billion from Fortnite, they're averaging ~$200million/month, and their development and maintenance costs have been substantially lower so I'd say they can afford to sustain $30million purses for a long, long time. Let this sink in: Bugha earned more than Tiger Woods earned for winning The Masters. Personally, I was blown away by the gameplay and impressed by the coverage (watched the final). I've probably spent ~50 hours in the last year playing with friends on weekends and I can't fathom the way those guys played (I was a decent gamer as a kid).

Quote Reply
Re: Inaugural Fortnite World Cup [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The prize money was insane...and went pretty deep into the field. And players had opportunities to double dip into the categories. Add in top of that the age of the players winning was so young (compared to other competitive sports).

Bugha is 16 yro.

I've been a hard gamer before, but FPS type of games were not my thing.

Observations:

On average the players didn't really seem all that excited when they won, compared to other competitive events. Maybe it's gamer personality, maybe age, dunno.

Where were the girl gamers? Was there even one girl in the 100 players for the solo world cup event?

I was a bit surprised how much players the from the USA comprised the money winning finishers.

Someone mentioned it above, but seems gaming events would be easy to influence or manipulate. Big money at stake will make this an issue eventually.

Last edited by: Endo: Jul 29, 19 5:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
The prize money was insane...and went pretty deep into the field. And players had opportunities to double dip into the categories. Add in top of that the age of the players winning was so young (compared to other competitive sports).

Bugha is 16 yro.

Observations:

On average the players didn't really seem all that excited when they won, compared to other competitive events. Maybe it's gamer personality, maybe age, dunno.

Where were the girl gamers? Was there even one girl in the 100 players for the solo world cup event?

I was a bit surprised how much players the from the USA comprised the money winning finishers.

Someone mentioned it above, but seems gaming events would be easy to influence or manipulate. Big money at stake will make this an issue eventually.

Danyan of Sunshine Soldiers on Day 1
https://www.instagram.com/danyancatsq/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:

Bugha is 16 yro.

Observations:

Not sure I’d agree about the players not being excited when they won. Pretty much every game winner jumped out of his chair and shouted an expletive that was silenced out. Those guys were pumped. The Duo winners were perhaps a bit less excited when they went up for the trophy but by then it had sunk in a bit, and I think the Norwegian is a bit quiet, so yes, a bit of personality too.

There are a lot of girls who play Fortnite, as much as 40% at times I read. Girls had equal opportunity to qualify for the event, but none did.

Re USA players dominating the solos, that was a big question before the event... would the EU or USA players dominate. EU won the duos but the top four solos were US players. One of the best solos was KING who is from Argentina.

No reason for Epic to try to influence the game, and it could damage what is an incredible product that they’ve done an exception job creating and promoting.

What I would like to see is a Ryder Cup style tournament between the US and EU playing the “Friday Fortnite” style of play. In that format, you have 2 duos going head to head (in a squad of 4) where each duo has to kill as many players as possible in the game. It means the players have to scramble all over the map trying to get as many kills as possible, which is a lot more entertaining than everyone trying to survive to endgame,
Quote Reply