Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [jonmhicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the issue and they replaced mine. It was showing my altitude at 50k feet. Haha, my TSS was off the charts
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same with my 935 that was only a few months old. New one on the way!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [grrladventure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine in December 2016. I'm guessing that's well out of warranty... this is too stupid, though. If I could just turn the altimeter off, that'd be fine. I mean, not great that the altimeter didn't make it 3 years, but it's not like I know anything about altimeters and how long they tend to last. But they should just put a setting in garmin connect that would let you turn it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turns out you can 'correct' the altimeter in strava as well. good to know, since i go there much more often than i go on garmin connect.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can’t fix it. I have had 6 of the 935 go bad on me From Oct tell now. Called on Monday to get another one and they upgraded me to the 945. They are back ordered for 2 more weeks with AG Nationals and IMMT coming up , just great!!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
You can’t fix it. I have had 6 of the 935 go bad on me From Oct tell now. Called on Monday to get another one and they upgraded me to the 945. They are back ordered for 2 more weeks with AG Nationals and IMMT coming up , just great!!

I've sent 3 back, do you swim a lot? I do and I swear the chlorine damages the barometer sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
danstu4 wrote:

I've sent 3 back, do you swim a lot? I do and I swear the chlorine damages the barometer sensor.

I swim around 4-5 times per week. I think you are right that the chlorine kill the barometer. I used the 920 and had no problems and the 935 I have nothing but problems. It’s ridiculous that you have to baby it so much
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
triathlete37 wrote:
danstu4 wrote:

I swim around 4-5 times per week. I think you are right that the chlorine kill the barometer. I used the 920 and had no problems and the 935 I have nothing but problems. It’s ridiculous that you have to baby it so much
Now i use a 735 to swim since there is no barometer hole, and the 935 for running and cycling. I had the same trouble with the 920.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. The real Q...Anyone's else's Garmin altimeter still working?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latest, from Garmin:

"So, we would be looking at a replacement on this. The device is out of warranty and you would be looking at $120 plus tax for a newly overhauled unit. These come with a 90 day warranty on them.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,"

pretty weak IMO...

I'll probably replace the watch this fall. The GPS on this wasn't accurate enough to just get the same thing again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the same email from Garmin Support. $160 to replace my Fenix 5 with a refurb.

Not sure I want to spend more money to fix something that is really just an annoyance. I'm like you I wish I could just disable it completely. And if I do get a new watch I'd rather upgrade to something actually new. IDK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my 820 isn't a total mess - but is nowhere close to accurate. Consistently have the same start and finish but climb hundreds of feet less than descend. Correctable in GC - if i remember or care enough
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 920 generally calculates my first mile with about 22,000 feet of elevation (I live in VA Beach elevation maybe 20 feet above sea level), after the first mile it returns to normal.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [onder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a new victim of the altimeter going bad on my Garmin Forerunner 935. I purchased mine when the 935 was new and hot on the shelves a couple of years ago. I have been wearing it daily to count flights of steps I complete (I climb a lot of flights daily). Only in the past week or so it started to go bad. Today it read 0 flights after I climbed at least 10 flights. I went through Garmin customer service chat - total 10 minutes. They did the Baro test too. My Baro Temp read 288.9. They are expediting the replacement - everything at no cost - since I have a race coming up in 2.5 weeks. I have to say I LOVE Garmin customer service.

One thing Garmin mentioned that could break the altimeter was wearing it in a hot tub or pressing the buttons a lot underwater. I have worn mine into the hot tub for a few minutes after my swim workouts. They will replace it regardless.

onder wrote:
The Baro Test screen will show with values (see picture below).
The barometer is likely broken when any one of the following conditions are true:
  • Valid? says Not Valid
  • Local Pressure does not fluctuate
  • Local Altitude is off by 10,000 feet (3000 meters) or more
  • Baro Temp is more than 50
If just one of the bullet points are true, the barometer is broken.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Aug 20, 19 15:55
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else's Garmin altimeter go completely haywire? [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
One thing Garmin mentioned that could break the altimeter was wearing it in a hot tub or pressing the buttons a lot underwater.

A swim watch that breaks in water. Brilliant.

My altimeter never worked. I bought it right before IM Boulder last year and it had some outrageous elevation totals. Even runs with almost no elevation change will show thousands of feet. As long as it isn't used to calculate workload, VO2 max, etc, then it doesn't bother me that much.
Quote Reply

Prev Next