Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 2020 TREK Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just so bummed to see them still ignoring the demands of the market and not putting disc brakes on.

Besides, the brakes on the SC suck. That bike has NEEDED disc for years. I love my SC but am considering dumping it and moving to something with disc.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: New 2020 TREK Speed Concept [MergeMultisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MergeMultisport wrote:
1) I'm just so bummed to see them still ignoring the demands of the market and not putting disc brakes on.

2) Besides, the brakes on the SC suck. That bike has NEEDED disc for years. I love my SC but am considering dumping it and moving to something with disc.

1) Given the potential between a slower bike or not taking the time to move things a big jump forward, I'm glad they haven't. As for 'demands of the market', I'd say its market push, not customer pull.

2) You'll be buying a brands first generation offering then. Unless you race a lot on technical courses, I'd wait if I were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MergeMultisport wrote:
I'm just so bummed to see them still ignoring the demands of the market and not putting disc brakes on.

Besides, the brakes on the SC suck. That bike has NEEDED disc for years. I love my SC but am considering dumping it and moving to something with disc.

The "market demands" doesn't look like a real "demand" for Trek because they SC are still selling at a rate that Trek is making a profit that's big enough to meet their business plan.

Trek has stated several times that they can't make a SC faster with disc brakes so why do it. They can improve their current braking power probably. I can see disc brakes on a Road bike. I'm not against disc brakes but they are not a must and not a "market demand" and on a Tri-bike.........if you're braking a lot...........you're doing it wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MergeMultisport wrote:

I just got a new SC in the fall. I think the only reason I'd like discs on it are maybe for easier wheel swaps of different rim widths, and easier initial brake setup. Otherwise I'm still pretty happy with the overall design.

I was tempted by the Cervelo PX, but the frameset alone would have cost me a good $2500+ more than the trek frame, plus the cost to switch my wheels to discs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MergeMultisport wrote:

well when you wear a speedo it negates the negative impact of having disc brakes i guess :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
Quote Reply
Re: New 2020 TREK Speed Concept [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There a lot of things that could be improved with or without disc brakes on this bike. Albeit small things, but in total would make a nice improvement.

• Get rid of the BB90 bottom bracket. Kill it, no really. Has to be something a 30mm spindle can work on or the designer should be shot (or beat with a wet noodle)
  • Redesign front end to something like the new Cervelo P5D/X. Include tilt, include integrated bottle mounts. Just license the Tririg Alpha.
  • Please make the headset bearings a bit larger. It's a replacement item for our two bikes fairly often.
  • bigger deeper bento box
  • integrate blipbox / Di2 junction
  • lighter weight is always nice. It's proven it doesn't matter much, I still like it, and will pay for it - yea I know.
  • Make it accept 25 or even 28mm tires. Make sure all Disc wheels (not talking brakes) fit easily.
  • Ditch the little gizmo in the chainstay. Nobody uses that.
  • Create a bike box for it and make the steps for disassemble / assemble such that most anyone could do it. Premier has this right.

If they did just those things, and the rest of the bike was the same I'd buy a new one. It doesn't need to be faster, it's already fast. It has pretty good storage, and the storage for flat kit, etc... is awesome. Brakes are good, I don't know what people complain about (heck try the Felt IA's). A bit tricky to setup but very good. Disc's or no discs doesn't matter to me.
Last edited by: blackey: May 22, 20 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: New 2020 TREK Speed Concept [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with all that, and I guess I'd prefer disc brakes just for easier wheel swaps of different rim widths, and easier routing/setup. But with all that, I guess we are just talking a Cervelo PX.... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you ask rather than get a fitter?
Quote Reply

Prev Next