Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Random Tri Bike Frame Question
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about different frames, their respective strengths and weaknesses, why one might be "better" than the other, etc. Let's say that fit is equal across each frame to remove this variable. If a specific rider could select one frame to build a triathlon bike around, which would it be and why? In other words, is a Cervelo better than a QR, better than a Scott, better than a Trek, etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Random Tri Bike Frame Question [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well... this is virtually impossible to answer because "better" is in the eye of the beholder, and there are a lot of variables. For me, I would choose either the P3X or P5X frameset because I believe it is one (if not the) fastest and has lots of great storage. Here are a few other variables that folks might rank differently around the idea of better...
  • Lowest drag (fastest)
  • Easiest to travel with or maintain
  • Disc vs. rim brakes
  • Handling characteristics
  • Ride comfort
  • Integrated vs. standard brakes (if rim brakes)
  • Integrated storage
  • Integrated vs. standard cockpit
  • Weight
  • Bottom bracket type (some people may simply hate a BB, like press fit, threaded, or BBRight, etc.)

Last edited by: exxxviii: Jul 24, 19 15:38
Quote Reply
Re: Random Tri Bike Frame Question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured "better" would be a debatable topic. Lowest drag seems to be a common denominator in most discussions, along with integrated storage.

How about overall stiffness?
Quote Reply
Re: Random Tri Bike Frame Question [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
How about overall stiffness?
Stiffness really isn’t a decision factor in modern carbon bikes. But, that did remind me of a couple other variables that I added in: handling characteristics and ride comfort. Ride comfort and handling might be the alternate to stiffness. Some bikes transmit road vibrations more than others. And some steer like a river barge while others are more agile like road bikes.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jul 24, 19 15:45
Quote Reply