Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Augusta New Bike Course - Insights
Quote | Reply
Hey - I got an email with the update to the Augusta 70.3 Bike Course. Wanted to know if anyone can give any insider tips, insights or heads up. I raced Augusta back in 2013 so I know the first half is more technical and hilly than the later half. Anything else would be helpful (sharp turns after descents, road quality, etc).

Thanks in advance!

https://www.ironman.com/...%3D%3D#axzz5uc5lacXE

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right!
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta New Bike Course - Insights [BumbleBrian20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced the new course in 2018 and the prior course in 2017. I honestly did not notice a difference. They were both equally fast and flat.

In 2017, I averaged 21.8 MPH on 218W AP and 1,450' elevation gain. In 2018, I rode 21.6 MPH on 193W AP with 1,605' elevation gain.

Big caveat: my 2018 fitness was way down from 2017, but my bike was way upgraded (deeper wheels, lower position, better other drafty stuff, etc.).
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta New Bike Course - Insights [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year elevation is 1,761 ft and no railroad track crossing. Someone said last year's elevation was 1,583. Some rolling hills but should be a good course.
Quote Reply
Re: Augusta New Bike Course - Insights [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the elevations I cited were as determined by my 735XT, which does not have a barometric altimeter. The numbers are useful for general directional similarity, but by no means precise.

I looked at what I rode last year compared to this year's course, and they look very close. There are a couple minor road differences in the middle, but they are probably not material in the speed or technicality of the course.
Quote Reply