Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transporting Tri Bike a very long distance.
Quote | Reply

Dumb question possibly but I'm wondering if there is any benefit of keeping my aero wheels off my bike while transporting my bike across the country. I'm driving around 1800km to race Whistler this weekend and wondering if there is any detriment to my wheels (Hed Jet 6/9+) being fully exposed to the elements (sun, rain, wind, ect) while driving(bike on carrier). I could take the wheels off and put them in the car (although crowded).
Anyway, just wondering people's thoughts.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Transporting Tri Bike a very long distance. [chrisandcebu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of rack do you have? I'd put the whole bike in the car if possible. Otherwise, take the race wheels off if possible to keep them nice for race day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will be fine on the back of your car during the whole drive.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're thinking that your wheels that are designed to be used in and withstand the elements (sun, wind, rain, etc.) are somehow going to be damaged by being in the elements?
Last edited by: logella: Jul 24, 19 5:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove about 7 hours for a race and put the wheels in the car, but the bike hung off the back.

I did this because I was hanging the bike off the back of a fairly aerodynamic sedan and didn't want 80 mph wind smacking the deep wheels on the side for the whole ride. If you are putting it on the roof or behind an SUV, I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've driven from Michigan to Oklahoma City 3 times with my bike on the back of the car with my older Jet 60/90's that's 1600 Km
To Englewood Florida 3 or 4 times, that's 2000 Km
To Myrtle Beach SC, that's 1200Km

I think you'll be OK :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People have been known to ride across continents with their wheels intact at the end of their journey. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not neglect the influence of rain.
I did IM Austria 3 weeks ago with a huge thunderstorm ONLY in the last 15 minutes.
When I looked at my bike 10 days later, the cranks could hardly move. Water had entered the bearings and I had to replace them.
Also my electronic rear derailleur did not work correct anymore, I had to oil it and now it works again.

Be careful with your stuff: better IN the car. Better put your traveling guests on the carrier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My race wheels are Hed Jets. My rack is a hitch-mounted, tray-style Thule. I put my training wheels on for a 90 minute drive to a race this past weekend. I didn't want to take a chance or some random road debris (i.e. a rock) getting kicked up and punching a hole in the aero fairings on my race wheels. It takes less than 5 minutes to swap wheels at the race site. Why risk it?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Transporting Tri Bike a very long distance. [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
I would put them in the car.

x2. If you can't put the whole bike in the car, at least put your nice wheels inside.
Quote Reply