Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlonmagazine.ca did not help the cause for triathlons by writing this article with a picture of a mass start rather than picture of cyclists nicely spaced on the bike course. Subtle psychological things that can work for or against in the long run. While things are unlikely, the local magazine can help it or help tank it (maybe I need to reach out to Kevin McKinnon and ask him to change the image on the article).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You seriously can’t have your head stuck that far deep in the sand, right?

There’s not a rolleyes emoji big enough for this post.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
You seriously can’t have your head stuck that far deep in the sand, right?

There’s not a rolleyes emoji big enough for this post.

indeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not the point about whether it will happen or not. Triathlonmagazine.ca need events and hope of events. They can let standard newspapers pile on, they don't need to help in making sure events get cancelled. Its not about believing if events will happen or not. If those in the industry contribute to events not happening then its their own loss.

The rest of us don't really NEED triathlon events even though we may want them, since we have sources of income different from triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alberta has stated that "no mass gatherings over 15 people" will be allowed for the rest of the summer (until Sept at least). I don't think that mass start photos of triathlon vs spread out cyclists is going to change the perception of the sport.

People seem to be firmly in the "if I can't have my thing, then no one can have their thing". People around here are even pissed off by solo cyclists/runners.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1000% agreed about people being pissed off about solo cyclists and runners.

I actually caught myself suffering from the same "envy". I saw some residential contruction and landscaping going and and was feeling irritated that those guys were either breaking the rules, or getting off the hook....then I thought to myself "they are spreading nothing and keeping people employed", so "good for them".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes they did. I live here. I am registered to race.

I don't want 3000 racers plus their families many from the USA where shit's about to get really fucking real coming here.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we need a like button.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
yes they did. I live here. I am registered to race.

I don't want 3000 racers plus their families many from the USA where shit's about to get really fucking real coming here.

OK fair enough if you don't want anyone coming to Penticton. You do realize though, that anyone from Ontario and Quebec where shit is equally bad to say, Florida, can waltz into Penticton right now if they want? I don't think you will need to worry about an foreigners getting into Canada any time soon. Federal govt has restricted that already to June 30th and its easily going to extended.

But today, I can book on Air Canada for a flight tomorrow to fly from Ottawa to Kelowna and drive down. Its actually crazy that I can do that if I want, but we can. (it feels ridiculous that we even have the option when someone can't take their kids to the local playground). Anyone from inside Canada can travel and infect fellow Canadians.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 24, 20 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any non urgent travel is strongly discouraged. So, sure you CAN, but where are you going to stay? Where are you going to rent a car? Heck, where are you going to eat without it being a pain in ass? Theres no ABNB. So you need a hotel with kitchen to have groceries.

So sure you CAN. But no one IS

Anything is possible. Till its not.

There will be no race. Just accept that.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman Canada 2020 Thread [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Any non urgent travel is strongly discouraged. So, sure you CAN, but where are you going to stay? Where are you going to rent a car? Heck, where are you going to eat without it being a pain in ass? Theres no ABNB. So you need a hotel with kitchen to have groceries.

So sure you CAN. But no one IS

Anything is possible. Till its not.

There will be no race. Just accept that.

Hey Rhys, I was just pointing our how ridiculous it is that I can travel internally in Canada from places equally as bad as most places in the US (other than New York New Jersey). Govt of Canada should just simply ground all aircraft as they have done in other countries (ex India, and their numbers are way better than ours).

If you think you're safer because Americans can't come to your town, you also need to lock out all Canadians (PEI did that for a while...they are now trying to figure out how to get other Canadians to come over and spend money there this summer). Americans are not your problem if we don't want the virus to spread in Canada. That cat is out of the bag. We have plenty of community spread in our own country. Americans coming or not coming is not going to move the needle.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 24, 20 20:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's only April, but travel restrictions are real.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/...affected-by-covid-19
AVOID NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL over the BC-ALBERTA BORDER

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/...en-saskatchewan-plan
  • Recommendations against non-essential international and interprovincial travel;
  • Mandatory 14-day self-isolation following international travel, exposure to COVID-19, or a positive COVID-19 test;

https://www2.gnb.ca/...ionForTravelers.html
Avoid all non-essential travel outside of New Brunswick.

Quebec has INTRA provincial restrictions.

Things are very likely to improve over the next few months. But getting a region 'covid free' will take extraordinary resources, and those fortunate regions will not be welcoming tourist any time soon.

The only way we could race IMC is if BC thinks that +50 gathering are ok (at least 60 days before the race).

The only way people will be able to travel there is if BC thinks their regions are clean enough and will not to be a source of contamination

Airlines will only flight (or not cancel flights) if enough people could travel between the 2 regions.

IM covid policy doesn't go into detail if there is any travel restrictions... but i will guess that anyone who can't travel to the race, due to governmental restrictions, get a spot the following year. But at some point, the question become how many people do you need to run the race.

Quote Reply

Prev Next