Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?!
Quote | Reply
Worked fine, next day won't turn on, won't charge. Anyone have this happen? Time to get a new one, or quick fix? Thanks for input...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?! [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried using the same micro-usb cord to charge something else to ensure the cable/plug is not the issue? And even then, sometimes micro-usb plugs can be finicky...where some plugs I have to wiggle them a bit before the charge engages.

If it's indeed the head unit not taking a charge, then I would report to Garmin support. Even if it's out of warranty, sometimes they throw you a bone on a discount for buying a replacement. Or just buy a Wahoo.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?! [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not on a 520. But had that on a previously reliable 910xt
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?! [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happened on my 500. Called up garmin and they were awesome, sent me a whole new unit. They did the same thing when I stripped out the screw on my vector 2 pod. Nothing but positive things to say about customer service there. Sometimes the call takes a bit but worth it in the end for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
Worked fine, next day won't turn on, won't charge. Anyone have this happen? Time to get a new one, or quick fix? Thanks for input...

Call Gamin. Tell them what happened.

They'll do something for you, one way or the other.

Make the call, there's no downside.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do, thanks!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?! [Bduke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bduke wrote:
Happened on my 500. Called up garmin and they were awesome, sent me a whole new unit. They did the same thing when I stripped out the screw on my vector 2 pod. Nothing but positive things to say about customer service there. Sometimes the call takes a bit but worth it in the end for sure.

But was it still within the warranty period?

I had an 820, 3 years old, recently get to the point where I couldn't ride more than an hour or 2, not using navigation and with battery save mode on.

The only option was to get a refurb unit from them at a discount. I guess even that was not required of them as it was out of warranty, but still kind of annoying as it was not a cheap unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?! [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's a dead battery, quite easy to replace the battery if you're handy. I broke my 800 by stressing the USB connector while charging on the bike, was able to find a bottom case (which includes the charging board and the USB connector) on eBay and replace.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?! [MetinUz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has happened twice to my 800. I'm not sure why it happened, but in each case the unit was charged to at least 70%, accidentally left it on after an hour'ish ride, went back 30 minutes later and it had turned off. The next ride, it would not turn on. I wondered if it somehow got confused about how much charge it had so I left it on the charger for almost two full days and it magically came back to life. It may not be the same as your issue, but that's my n=2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, did you try a hard reset?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?! [MetinUz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MetinUz wrote:
If it's a dead battery, quite easy to replace the battery if you're handy. I broke my 800 by stressing the USB connector while charging on the bike, was able to find a bottom case (which includes the charging board and the USB connector) on eBay and replace.

I had looked at that -- possible to buy battery and install kit. But watching the videos and some comments it still looked you need some reasonable "fine motor skills" :-). Which is not me. Pretty sure I'd end up with a non-functioning device in the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?! [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Out of curiosity, did you try a hard reset?

I did, AFTER the post (hopped on Garmin site and did a search), and it worked :). So, if anyone has this problem, try holding the ON/OFF button for 10m seconds. It will reset and if that is the only problem.... functioning computer again!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I've run into before with my 520 is once it starts to fill up with old files it can get slower and eventually crash - needing either a hard reset or deleting the files in USB mode. It was more of a bootloop presentation for me than not powering on, but possibly worth keeping in mind going forward (cleaning out old files).
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 520, only a few years old, suddenly DEAD?! [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 500 was not under warranty at the time as far as I can remember. With the vector pod, I wasn’t even the original owner, over tightened the screw and it broke off leaving me SOL. Called garmin and they took pity on me and sent me a whole new pod.
Quote Reply