Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo p3-SL or Quintana Roo CD0.1
Quote | Reply
Been riding a 2005 Cervloe p3-sl and am pretty happy with the bike - MOP AG'er, two years deep into triathlon with four HIM's and a half dozens shorter races under my belt. On the P3 i upgraded the cockpit and added some race wheels this past season and enjoyed the updates. Now i have the opportunity to purchase a 2010 Quintana Roo CD0.1 - Ultegra set up with metron shifters and a solid cockpit. Decent price, but i hate the colors. Assuming (and i know its a big assumption) the other components are close enough to be negligible, do i stay put or upgrade to a carbon frame for a grand?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p3-SL or Quintana Roo CD0.1 [Edor5505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2017 CD0.1. Haven't had tire clearance issues, but the brakes can be quite annouing to adjust. Especially the rear brake. I'm also not a huge fan of the behind the fork front brake, but that ia for aesthetic reasons, not performance.

It's definitely a solid bike, but I'm not sure I'd upgrade to it from a P3-SL.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p3-SL or Quintana Roo CD0.1 [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good feedback. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd race the P3-SL every day of the week.

I've got a flat black anodized P2-SL and a new P3. While the P3 is faster, the P2-SL is way cooler. There may come a day that I will upgrade the P3 to something faster, but I'm never getting rid of the P2-SL.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the CD0.1 2010 model was my first tri bike. I upgraded to the 2014 model with DI2 at the end of that year. The bike is plenty fast.

The rear brake is a PITA though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming that you have a long and low fit thus the decision between the old and the new here?

These frames are some of the most aggressive S/R ever built (speculating on the QR about that).

In pure "old school but still super aero" bling factor... the P3-SL wins all the way. As others have mentioned you likely aren't going to get a lot out of this transition. Perhaps investing in a tunnel visit and subsequent helmet swap after that visit will pay greater performance dividends.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is any such thing as a "collectible triathlon bike" the P3sl is on the short list. And the QR has that stupid behind the fork brake with the cable loop sticking out....UGH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Being a 2010 model, I assume that the CD0.1 is used?

If so, I think that you can do better. QR has a wide range of PR model bikes and Felt has the IA series. I expect most any of these can had for a similar price. Some shops even have a trade in program, check in to this.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good data points here. Thanks to all for your counsel. I think spending a little on a front end clean up, fit dial in and perhaps a new skin suit will make more difference than the frame change. And save me several hundred bucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo p3-SL or Quintana Roo CD0.1 [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
If there is any such thing as a "collectible triathlon bike" the P3sl is on the short list. And the QR has that stupid behind the fork brake with the cable loop sticking out....UGH!

Agreed, used to own one and now with a TR front end and TR brakes you could build up a very beautiful (and fast) bike. Also it was for its time a pretty light TT bike.

Maurice
Quote Reply