Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
. Like the draft legal champs coming up in Tempe, those I plan to go to, just because of location.. [/font]

The problem with Tempe is that the other cities don't want to work with Tempe to let the bike courses go through it. That's why you get a ridiculous & somewhat dangerous 3 loop 70.3 bike course and 2 loop Oly courses. Mesa/Chandler realized pretty early they received very little in the way of hotel nights/tax revenue compared to what they were spending. Then you've got WTC who has put restrictions on when other triathlons can use Tempe Town lake (not sure if they still do that)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty [font Open Sans wrote:

[/font]
It would just be nice for the rotation to come close to us, like it is for you. Doesnt have to be CA, although I bet it would break all attendance records if they did. WA, AZ, OR, NV would be nice, even some adjoining states would be just a couple hour flight. Like the draft legal champs coming up in Tempe, those I plan to go to, just because of location..

Ha, see you there.

desert dude wrote:

The problem with Tempe is that the other cities don't want to work with Tempe to let the bike courses go through it. That's why you get a ridiculous & somewhat dangerous 3 loop 70.3 bike course and 2 loop Oly courses. Mesa/Chandler realized pretty early they received very little in the way of hotel nights/tax revenue compared to what they were spending. Then you've got WTC who has put restrictions on when other triathlons can use Tempe Town lake (not sure if they still do that)

Not sure if there are are restrictions from WTC. But Tempe Beach Park is highly impacted as an event site. When the weather is nice there seems to be something going on at least every three weeks. There's a lot of triathlons there when you think about it now. On a fall thru Sprint Calendar this seems to be what's on the docket this next year: LifeTime Tri, Sun Devil Tri, Draft legal Nats, IMAZ 70.3, IMAZ, and Cactus Man.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jul 25, 19 15:10
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been there done that! I would prefer to see a new location every 2 years. Milwaukee was nice and worth the trip, but I won't be going to another Nationals until they have a new location. Celveland was not a horrible location, but after the swim on the first year I can see why people dont want to go back.
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [Pun1sher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if that says more about lack of bids or more of an "we know what we have". I don't think Milwaukee had any issues did they? It sucks when a national championship type event has to be modified, and yes we get it.....apply "safety" to an modification and you can't really push back. I just kinda shoulder shrug at some of the "safety" decisions....but again I get it, a guy died in Cleveland, so the optics and decision making will most certainly reflect based on that.

Take a look at Collegiate Nats....it's as if they seemingly ping pong back and forth between Tuscoolsa Alabama and Tempe AZ. Obviously early April means no NE locations because of the cold. But AG Nats they can host just about anywhere (well Florida Aug is probaly out because it's too "hot", but you know what I mean).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all the middle aged people doing triathlon, it’s annoying that Natl Champs need to be that first or second weekend in August every year. It is the absolute height of family vacation season.

I don’t have an alternative suggestion about timing. It is what it is, but that’s why I’ll probably never do it
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Atleast the date is pretty much the same weekend in August for what 10+ years now? So in that aspect you don't have to wait for just 5 months before the event for USAT to tell you the location and date.....Of course AG Nats is the biggest money maker for USAT so that's the easiest to take care of, other nationals not so much.....they didn't decide the DL race until what summer which was 3-4 months before the race.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I wonder if that says more about lack of bids or more of an "we know what we have"

There was an article in the Coeur d’Alene newspaper in September 2018 saying that they were one of the three finalists and that USAT officials were here to evaluate potential courses, etc. however given it was 10 months later until an announcement was made, I wonder if the city of CDA had shifted gears to put their money/focus on being part of the rotating Ironman NA championship instead. I started hearing about that deal from people here in the know a month or so before USAT ended up announcing Milwaukee as the 2020/2021 site

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vaca the week after. I've done that a few times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
For all the middle aged people doing triathlon, it’s annoying that Natl Champs need to be that first or second weekend in August every year. It is the absolute height of family vacation season.

I don’t have an alternative suggestion about timing. It is what it is, but that’s why I’ll probably never do it

Who takes family vacations? Most people still have to work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next