Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Refilling bottles at Aid Station
Quote | Reply
I'm doing IM Ohio 70.3 this weekend. I've decided that I'm going with a profile design bottle holder BTA (30 oz.). I'm planning on riding dirty on the saddle (no bottle cage holder). I have my tube taped under the saddle and a small xlab stealth pocket on the top tube holding my tire valves, two co2 cartridges, co2 inflator, crack pipe and 3 gels. In other words, I'm going minimal to reduce weight and drag.

What would be the best way to refill my BTA hydration system? I'm thinking I could simply ditch it and start with a 24oz Gatorade bottle, but I'd have to take it out every time I drink which is not the most efficient position every time I drink. The other alternative is to stop at the 30 mile aid station for a total refill. What's my best option? In the past, I've used an additional rear cage behind the saddle and filled the entire BTA while riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fill the 30oz BTA bottle, bring a 20oz bottle on the downtube to dump in once you've emptied the BTA. Snag gatorades as necessary from aid stations to top up.

Screwing up nutrition is going to cost you way more time than the minimal weight/aero savings you're debating
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might have a point. Faster than stopping at an aid station for a quick refill. I wonder if I can zip tie my gorilla cage to my saddle rails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I could ... start with a 24oz Gatorade bottle, but I'd have to take it out every time I drink which is not the most efficient position every time I drink.

What do people here think about the cost of taking the time to fill up a bottle on the fly vs the cost of pulling a bottle out to drink every time you do take a drink? It's not obvious which to me is better/worse. I dislike having the straw in my face and bending over to drink personally, though if it were demonstrably faster I'd get over it . . .

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After years of trying different things I settled on a very simple setup for 70.3s. One bottle between the bars, one bottle behind the seat, take on one bottle from an aid station. It's hard to screw up. The time out of aero drinking from a bottle is actually overblown IMO and better than the hassles of refilling, etc.

I also have my tube taped under the seat and tire tools in an xlab bento on the top tube. I can't believe the chuck wagon setups I see on bikes at races.
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's slower to take the bottle out every time to drink, because you're getting out of the aero power position every time. I had a guy crash in front of me 0.1 miles into the bike once because he was reaching for his rear cage. Funny thing is that the pro cyclists at the TDF use standard cages to drink

ericlambi wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
I could ... start with a 24oz Gatorade bottle, but I'd have to take it out every time I drink which is not the most efficient position every time I drink.

What do people here think about the cost of taking the time to fill up a bottle on the fly vs the cost of pulling a bottle out to drink every time you do take a drink? It's not obvious which to me is better/worse. I dislike having the straw in my face and bending over to drink personally, though if it were demonstrably faster I'd get over it . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuck Wagon set ups lol! So true. Hilarious when people people ride with dual rear bottle cages, BTA and downtube bottles for a 70.3 or a ginormous speed fill. Thirsty much?

smoom wrote:
After years of trying different things I settled on a very simple setup for 70.3s. One bottle between the bars, one bottle behind the seat, take on one bottle from an aid station. It's hard to screw up. The time out of aero drinking from a bottle is actually overblown IMO and better than the hassles of refilling, etc.

I also have my tube taped under the seat and tire tools in an xlab bento on the top tube. I can't believe the chuck wagon setups I see on bikes at races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I am using the wrong bottle cages, but the on course water/gatorade bottles do not fit in my cages. Instant launch with the smallest bump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I think it's slower to take the bottle out every time to drink, because you're getting out of the aero power position every time.

Why do you need to break aero to remove/drink/replace a bottle from your BTA setup? It's a one-handed operation with only one arm/elbow out of aero position for a very short time each time you drink (every 10 minutes or so). Probably less aero penalty than having a straw sticking up 100% of the time.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a legit consideration. The on the course bottles do tend to be a bit smaller but while mine rattle a little I have never had one launch. And I'm usually only taking on the third bottle with maybe 20-30 mins to go in the bike so it's never been a big deal to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
I think it's slower to take the bottle out every time to drink, because you're getting out of the aero power position every time.

Why do you need to break aero to remove/drink/replace a bottle from your BTA setup? It's a one-handed operation with only one arm/elbow out of aero position for a very short time each time you drink (every 10 minutes or so). Probably less aero penalty than having a straw sticking up 100% of the time.

This. Not to mention you're out of aero more than you think in most races (cornering, climbing, no-passing zones) when you can take a quick sip.
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly...

i have an xlab sidekick cage mounted BTA. i don't even get my hand off the pad to pull the bottle out and drink. for a 70.3 i use a BTA and aero bottle on the down tube. i haven't had to use more than this, but if I had to, I would replace the bottle i brought BTA - toss it and get something from the aid stations. not sure if those bottle are a good fit or not, but having an angled cockpit might help.
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've decided to go with a single BTA bottle cage with the front of the bottle facing me. I'll discard at aid stations and grab a new bottle at each. Kind of ridiculous I didn't ditch the hydration system with the straw a long time ago. This is what you see most pros doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use the speedfil A2, and just tuck the straw down so it's hidden most of the time. I don't mind it up, it actually reminds me to stay on top of hydration. For me, the Giro Aerohead isn't the best for staying in aero and grabbing a bottle to drink, since the lens covers the top half of my face. So, another reason I stick with the A2 and straw.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Funny thing is that the pro cyclists at the TDF use standard cages to drink
This is a UCI thing. Bottles must be in a cage inside the triangle. Cages anywhere else are not allowed.
mwanner13 wrote:
I'm planning on riding dirty on the saddle (no bottle cage holder)... In other words, I'm going minimal to reduce weight and drag.
This may be less aero. I just referenced an old Cervelo wind tunnel study they did in which they determined that BTS bottles may (probably do) improve aero for most people. So, even if you do not drink from it, you might want to consider a BTS for improved aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTA with a straw, and 2 bottles BTS. Tuck the straw when not in use. And fill the front on the fly with the bottles in back. If I used On course liquids, I’d maybe grab a bottle as needed at aid stations to refill the front. But I don’t like the idea of trying to manage that on the fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My nutrition goes in an aero bottle on the seat tube and use a refillable Xlab Torpedo for water. I switched to this setup about 10 or 12 70.3s ago after trying multiple other setups.
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Funny thing is that the pro cyclists at the TDF use standard cages to drink
This is a UCI thing. Bottles must be in a cage inside the triangle. Cages anywhere else are not allowed.

yep...but you can shove them in your jersey :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm one of those guys, but I need 20+oz an hour or I crash and burn. I basically drink straight through a HIM or full IM. I even killed 30oz of liquid 2 weeks ago on the Carolina Beach Double Sprint which ends with a swim so you can't be over eating.

I run a speedfil and the double BTS if I'm doing Infinit to make sure I have up to 6 hours or nutrition or a speedfil with a single empty BTS if I'm on a Gatorade/water from aid with base salts and nutrition.

Sucks to be a sweater but the Chuck Wagon is necessary or else you end up crying dry tears
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. Torpedo BTA and 2 bottles BTS. Refill while in motion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you are going minimal to save weight and drag I'm guessing to save time and then stop and fill your bottle at an aid station? Yep makes sense...
Quote Reply
Re: Refilling bottles at Aid Station [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to toss the empties at aid stations in favor of full bottles on the fly. I've done it before and see a lot of other athletes do it. The volunteer holds out the bottle as you grab it going by. Seems efficient to me.

Shambolic wrote:
So you are going minimal to save weight and drag I'm guessing to save time and then stop and fill your bottle at an aid station? Yep makes sense...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I'm going to toss the empties at aid stations in favor of full bottles on the fly. I've done it before and see a lot of other athletes do it. The volunteer holds out the bottle as you grab it going by. Seems efficient to me.

I'd suggest practicing this a few times. Sometimes the volunteers will run/jog next to you while they hand you the new botte which makes it a lot easier. Trying to grab a stationary bottle from someone when you're going even 5-10 mph is not always easy.
Quote Reply