Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transporting a disc wheel - options
Quote | Reply
TT bike will be flying with me, in a Trico case.

Last time I did this I shipped wheels using Bikeflights (also shipped the bike). This time would like to use the wheel in a local race (state TT) so would not have time to ship it.

So wondering about packing the disc in the Trico. That just makes me nervous. Anyone do that regularly?

Also thought: could I put in in a (cardboard) wheel shipping box and check it as checked baggage? (wouldn't cost me anything). Not sure how wise that is.

If neither of those seem like good ideas, I would probably ship it and try to borrow a disc for the local race or just ride a normal wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Transporting a disc wheel - options [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
TT bike will be flying with me, in a Trico case.

Last time I did this I shipped wheels using Bikeflights (also shipped the bike). This time would like to use the wheel in a local race (state TT) so would not have time to ship it.

So wondering about packing the disc in the Trico. That just makes me nervous. Anyone do that regularly?

Also thought: could I put in in a (cardboard) wheel shipping box and check it as checked baggage? (wouldn't cost me anything). Not sure how wise that is.

If neither of those seem like good ideas, I would probably ship it and try to borrow a disc for the local race or just ride a normal wheel.

For flat discs I’ve cut disc size cardboard out of a thick bike box or similar. This was for hardcase with only one side needing protection. For the trico u could sandwich between two pieces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know about a Trico case, but I got some thick underlay from a carpet store and cut it into 4 circles just slightly bigger than the the size of the wheels...never had any problems at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go the checked bag route, make sure you pad the hell out of it. I've had a disc banged up pretty bad by baggage handlers before (multiple punctures through the carbon) and fwiw Southwest denied any claim for repair/replacement
Quote Reply
Re: Transporting a disc wheel - options [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
If you go the checked bag route, make sure you pad the hell out of it. I've had a disc banged up pretty bad by baggage handlers before (multiple punctures through the carbon) and fwiw Southwest denied any claim for repair/replacement

good to know, thanks. (and to the others' suggestions also)

Another thought I had was to just put the disc only (no front wheel, so it has some more room) inside the Trico case, and put the front (808) in a box and check that -- sufficiently padded. Seems like less risk of getting holes poked through that wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was always paranoid of punctures from the frame while cramming my disc into my Tricot, so I bought a Wheel Safe, or used Tri-spokes, which fit better. There just isn't enough room in a Tricot to protect the sides of a disc, particularly if TSA opens it up and shuffles before cramming it closed. Check out most discs, they have side punctures from packing & transit. They are pretty vulnerable from side-impact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody just take them as a carry on? That was my plan. I think in a soft wheel case (with some padding) it should fit just fine in the overhead compartment.
Quote Reply
Re: Transporting a disc wheel - options [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Anybody just take them as a carry on? That was my plan. I think in a soft wheel case (with some padding) it should fit just fine in the overhead compartment.

I can't imagine how a wheel in a soft case would fit in an overhead bin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
Culley22 wrote:

I can't imagine how a wheel in a soft case would fit in an overhead bin.
It very well may not...but I'll put it up next to my wife's (not mine...because I hate people that bring these, and yes that includes my wife when she does) carry on suitcase. As long as it isn't "taller" than the case, it should fit fine (it may be taller...). And if not, i'm guessing that the coat bin they have would work (but then you're gambling that they will be nice and let you put it in there). Again, all things I'll need to get checked out prior to me bringing my new sets (plural) down to where my bike is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian, Gary uses a Trico case for his TT bike but puts the wheels in a separate case. I've found a double wheel shipping box to work quite well for flying. Missed you this weekend in IN. See you in Colorado Springs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always carry my disc as a carry on. Have done lots of flights around Europe this way, plus a trip from Europe to Australia for the 2017 UCI Worlds. Just stick it in a soft wheel bag and make sure nobody tries to jam any hand luggage on top of it. Never had a problem with fitting it in the overhead bins.
Quote Reply
Re: Transporting a disc wheel - options [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chgrubb wrote:
I always carry my disc as a carry on. Have done lots of flights around Europe this way, plus a trip from Europe to Australia for the 2017 UCI Worlds. Just stick it in a soft wheel bag and make sure nobody tries to jam any hand luggage on top of it. Never had a problem with fitting it in the overhead bins.

Interesting. I would not have imagined it would fit. It surely is bigger than the carry-on sizing bin that they sometimes use to reject carry-ons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it is slightly bigger, but I have never been asked to put it in the sizing device at the gate.

One nice tactic I learned from a friend who also takes his disc as carry on is to put a suit bag over the top of the disc - most simple suit covers fit over a wheel perfectly - then you just look like somebody carrying a suit in a suit bag - they never get checked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm headed out tomorrow (work trip) and i'm going to do a quick eyeball test to see how they fit on the AK airlines planes. I'd think if you get on early you'd be good, or get a flight attendant to put it in the closet for coats. But I think this will work. If it doesn't...$300 triall3sports wheel case coming I guess...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chgrubb wrote:
Yes it is slightly bigger, but I have never been asked to put it in the sizing device at the gate.

One nice tactic I learned from a friend who also takes his disc as carry on is to put a suit bag over the top of the disc - most simple suit covers fit over a wheel perfectly - then you just look like somebody carrying a suit in a suit bag - they never get checked.

Wow I would have never thought a wheel would fit in overhead-are you talking wide body aircraft or 737/a320 types?
Quote Reply
Re: Transporting a disc wheel - options [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything from 737 upwards. I would never have thought it either until I saw a girl one day carrying a bike wheel onboard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So here's what I ended up doing:

TT bike in Trico case, with the disc as the only wheel. I positioned it toward right edge so that the freewheel would be in the dead space under the downtube. Felt like there was plenty of room.

Front wheel went in a wheel bag, then in a Zipp box they use for shipping wheels. Then I just had that as checked baggage. They put a Fragile sticker on it, but made me sign a release.

Bike went with me on the way there, but then back via shipbikes.com (but still checked the front wheel as it was no charge)

Everything got there and back just fine.

The Trico is really a beast to muscle around. But it's 20 years old now and still working. Makes me appreciate my Ritchey Breakaway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not know about the Trico, but it seems to be, when I look on their site, about the same as my hard B&W Box. I flew a couple of times with both wheels in it. Also with a discwheel. First I pack them in wheelbags, than I pack them with the frame in the box. Why not? Do not see why shipping a wheel seperately would be safer.
Quote Reply
Re: Transporting a disc wheel - options [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I first tried packing with both wheels in the case.The wheels overlap, so it would be the disc pressing on the other wheel or vice-versa. Maybe not a huge deal, but when I tried to then fit the lid and tighten the straps, it just felt very tight -- like I was really going to have to push down to get it all together

Never had an issue with spoked wheels, but I didn't want to take a chance here. With only one wheel the lid went on much easier, and it was no issue to check the wheel box.
Quote Reply