Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore speed plays for about 6 years then went to Shimano; since I was having to replace the cleat about every year in the speedily to to play / wear. Got the Shimano with max float and still developed knee pain that took a few months to go away even after switching back.

Speed play are going to give you a broad fit range and are faster, but will require a little more maintenance. I wont cheat on them again. They are on all of my 4 bikes now.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long time speedplay fan, but I admit I am getting frustrated with the rocking that develops on mine (zeros).

I have a pair that are less than 6 months old, and I've put the cleats on both my older Shimano TR-60 shoes, and a new pair of Bonts. As far as I can tell, the adapter plate is flush with the shoe, with those purple spacers under it to match the curve of the shoe. Metal cleat looks flat. When I clip into the pedal, I can take my foot out, hold the shoe in my hand and rock it side to side, a lot.
I do use my cleats pretty opened up rotation wise, and use that a lot due to hip imbalances, and can't help but wonder if I am putting more wear on the pedal body than most because of the rotation I use.

I've tried Shimano a few times, but the float is just no where near as free......but I may try again...
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding my size 41 Bont Zeros; I thought others might be freaked out by seeing a gap so threw in the epoxy idea. I have no problems with Speedplay; they are great.

I see about the Shimano MTB now; I guess the looser spring tension and possibly upright posture saves my knees. Before I get a new bike I will get a pro bike fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay verses Shimano pedals [Ttakata73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Bont Helix and Zero + shoes but they are both 4 hole versions which you can specify if you order directly from Bont. I typically use the Helix on zero pedals and the Zero+ on zero aero pedals. I don’t use any shims and have no issues on either sets of pedals.
Quote Reply

Prev Next