Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power Output and Bike Set Up
Quote | Reply
Hi, has anyone experimented with their bike setup to see the effects on power output - if so what test protocols did you use, and what power output differences did you consider significant in altering the bike setup.

i.e if in one TT effort with one bike setup you could maintain 5 watts more power on average than in another setup - would you consider keeping the setup - or would you conclude 5 watts to be a negligibe difference - given all other factors remained the same?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Output and Bike Set Up [alex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used my computrainer and HRM. A 3.5 mile course at a 1% incline. I found that at the 78-79 degrees I was riding I could put out abc watts. As I slide back to 76.5 degrees I was able to put out about 15-20 more watts at the same hr. I was a bit faster don't remember the time but I figured more watts same hr and faster then 76.5 was the winner. This was several years ago so I don't have exact numbers for you but I have been riding at 76.5 on my TT bike since then. Didn't affect how I ran off the bike the year I made the switch. It was also more comfortable for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Output and Bike Set Up [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The idea of using the c-trainer for fit is good, but fraught with complications. desert dude's example is good, but ignores aero factors. Presumably a slacker seat angle has the rider more upright.

Even small changes in position may require a "break-in" period for your body to really utilize the new position. I guess if it were physically possible you could ride a 30 minute TT between each change. Even this is not really giving your body the full time it needs to adapt to all but the most trivial of changes.

If you give your body enough time, then you cannot separate the performance change from normal changes you would see through changing fitness levels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you experiment with power positions, remember: Putting out power is one thing, getting off the bike and running fast is another.
Gaining a minute on the bike and then losing 90secs on the run because you're more "booty-locked" is (for those of us who are lousy at math) a bad trade.
Summary IMHO: For tri purposes, it's generally wiser to find the most run-friendly bike position, and learn to apply power in that position.

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
It is not that simple ... [alex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
one also has to look at what a particular setup does to aerodynamics and endurance, not so easy to test. 5 watts more may be better or it may be worse.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses,

Everyone has valid points, I have conducted many tests - and it is very difficult to come up with concrete data to persuade me in either direction with setup, as mentioned - the more tests you do the better trained you are - so it is hard to compare and doing tests in different positions consecutively in the same session has the problem of fatigue - possibly tests that are more aerobic - rather than at threshold would be better s0 that fatigue is not a factor - but then again we race near threshold - and this is where we want to be most efficient.

If I have any answers or good results will let you know.

Al
Quote Reply