Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
True, it was a NA centric response (on what is a mostly NA centric forum)....
Yeah, I know. Just messin' with you!
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
insideride wrote:
Bike handling skills ARE important and rollers have a positive influence on how you ride. People who have lots of experience (especially BMX/MTB/CX ) already have skills that rollers won't really improve. But for many of us, riding rollers develops steering and balance skills that are a notch above what you learn just riding down the road. And they help you stay sharp.

You're projecting your own inabilities and lack of skills, here.

That's great that you're aware of them, and taking steps to address them, but again, it's straight up nonsense to suggest that rollers are this magical thing that give you these higher level skills that you can't get by, you know, actually riding your bike in various situations. I mean, hell, does it blow your mind that there are high level road and crit racers (and just regular riders that don't race) that don't ride rollers? Or are they just naturally endowed with these elusive magical bike handling skills?
Why do you continue to beat this to death? I think everyone here has pointed out that they are a supplement, not a replacement. Not mandatory, but a "nice to use".
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
insideride wrote:
I stand by what I said before.
Plenty of racers already have great bike handling, but for many cyclists, just riding the rollers is essentially a drill for specific skills, ones you would not learn except in specific circumstances. They include:
Riding in a narrow space, keeping a neutral stance, powering out of collisions with other riders, getting out of the saddle without shoving the bike backwards......

Just curious. How do you get out of the saddle without "shoving the bike backwards"?
he could have added "relative to riders around you", frame of reference being important. On rollers I suspect you want to smoothly move your CG forward.
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
"required" and necessary I think are 2 things....from your list I would "require" these:

-Emergency, controlled stop
-Look over either shoulder while traveling down the road.
-Remove, drink from, and replace water bottle while looking ahead.

Those are just basic every day moves that will make you safer and more predictable out on the roads and in races.

I would add predictably hold a line on a curve....this seems to be real problem from what I’ve observed with triathletes.

I've seen a lot of triathletes that can't even hold a line on a straight road. I'm guessing most of them have never owned a road bike in their life and learned on a time trial bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry you don't agree. Shall I rephrase it?
Getting out of the saddle in close quarters while avoiding contact with riders directly behind you is a "characteristic" acquired through "experience". You drill it into your "technique" until you do it "instinctively" in all situations. Rollers (whether floating or rigid) will naturally develop this skill...oops, I've called it a skill again.
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
rubik wrote:
insideride wrote:
Bike handling skills ARE important and rollers have a positive influence on how you ride. People who have lots of experience (especially BMX/MTB/CX ) already have skills that rollers won't really improve. But for many of us, riding rollers develops steering and balance skills that are a notch above what you learn just riding down the road. And they help you stay sharp.

You're projecting your own inabilities and lack of skills, here.

That's great that you're aware of them, and taking steps to address them, but again, it's straight up nonsense to suggest that rollers are this magical thing that give you these higher level skills that you can't get by, you know, actually riding your bike in various situations. I mean, hell, does it blow your mind that there are high level road and crit racers (and just regular riders that don't race) that don't ride rollers? Or are they just naturally endowed with these elusive magical bike handling skills?

Why do you continue to beat this to death? I think everyone here has pointed out that they are a supplement, not a replacement. Not mandatory, but a "nice to use".
Surely you know this is the internet, right?
Quote Reply
Re: What Should Be Mandatory Bike Handling Skills? [insideride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
insideride wrote:
Getting out of the saddle in close quarters while avoiding contact with riders directly behind you is a "characteristic" acquired through "experience". You drill it into your "technique" until you do it "instinctively" in all situations. Rollers (whether floating or rigid) will naturally develop this skill...oops, I've called it a skill again.
You cannot learn not to conserve momentum.
You can learn to move smoothly and that may be advantageous on rollers, so if that was your point, fine. I'm just trying to clarify what is, and is not a skill, and check I understand what you meant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
insideride wrote:

You cannot learn not to conserve momentum.
You can learn to move smoothly and that may be advantageous on rollers, so if that was your point, fine. I'm just trying to clarify what is, and is not a skill, and check I understand what you meant.

It's not just moving smoothly, it's learning how to (smoothly) apply extra power over a certain duration to overcome the transfer of momentum, in turn keeping your bike from (relatively) lurching "backwards" into the wheel of the rider behind you. p=mv, but F=ma (I'm talking out my ass there, I'm not an engineer, but it's something like that) and in this situation, you can skillfully apply additional F, and rollers can help you learn how to execute that - if do it wrong on the rollers, it's quite obvious, so you can get objectively better at it with minimal bloodshed and/or profanity on the part of your fellow riders. Of course if you are all out of discretionary F to apply, then you're going to lurch unavoidably, but hopefully the rider on your wheel has seen the writing on the wall and isn't right up in your business in that case.
Quote Reply

Prev Next