Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Berserkley descends into madness
Quote | Reply
The end of taco stands is next;

"In the latest chapter of California’s descent into liberal madness, the city of Berkeley – a hotbed of radical liberalism – became the first city in America to ban natural gas from new homes and businesses, including restaurants that use natural gas for stoves."

https://www.foxnews.com/...new-homes-businesses

Maybe coal can make a come back there.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Berserkley descends into madness [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What should they use? Electricity from coal and nuclear plants?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having to only use electric would be a huge operating constraint for certain restaurants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't love it, you can leave Berkeley.
Quote Reply
Re: Berserkley descends into madness [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:

According to the article, that is exactly what is happening. Good luck Donkeys!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing this has to do with the timing of the solar panel mandate. Since every new home now has to have solar, it would be less intrusive on someones electric bill to add some more demand there. Guessing the panels will way out pace the demand that losing gas will cause. And keep in mind that we live in California, not Iowa or Chicago, heat bills here at minimal, my gas bill is around 8 dollars a month, goes up to 12 in the winter. Solar on my roof would be 50+ times more than the gas I use..
Quote Reply
Re: Berserkley descends into madness [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My parents just moved out of their condo due to wildly out of control electricity bills.

I wouldn’t buy a hydro heated house.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Berserkley descends into madness [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
My parents just moved out of their condo due to wildly out of control electricity bills.

I'm really struggling to figure this out. Now, our home is a 1920 bungalow. We had oil heat, which was very efficient and affordable, so, let's set aside heat in this case b/c we live in WI. A couple years ago, we had natural gas installed. We converted the heat from oil to natural gas (but, again, let's set that aside). We also converted the water heater to gas, the dryer to gas, and the stove the gas. The savings over electric was dramatic. The cooking from electric to gas was monumental (it is simply better). Add the fact that our electricity comes from coal and the environment was also a winner. So, I just do not understand this.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I'm really struggling to figure this out. Now, our home is a 1920 bungalow. We had oil heat, which was very efficient and affordable, so, let's set aside heat in this case b/c we live in WI. A couple years ago, we had natural gas installed. We converted the heat from oil to natural gas (but, again, let's set that aside). We also converted the water heater to gas, the dryer to gas, and the stove the gas. The savings over electric was dramatic. The cooking from electric to gas was monumental (it is simply better). Add the fact that our electricity comes from coal and the environment was also a winner. So, I just do not understand this.

Stupids gunna stupid.

I don’t know what the right answer is. Fracking is a major problem. Coal is a problem. Here in Ontario we create so much green electricity that we end up paying Americans to take it from us (were fucking retarded, you’re welcome). And our electricity costs are sky high.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I just do not understand this. //

Read my post, the costs are offset by in large by the solar they "have" to have. We just dont use that much gas to begin with in CA, so comparisons to other cold weather states is pointless. And keep in mind, this is in new homes, all with solar. Older homes are grandfathered in to keep gas, so I dont really see the big problem you all do here..
Quote Reply
Re: Berserkley descends into madness [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So, I just do not understand this. //

Read my post, the costs are offset by in large by the solar they "have" to have. We just dont use that much gas to begin with in CA, so comparisons to other cold weather states is pointless. And keep in mind, this is in new homes, all with solar. Older homes are grandfathered in to keep gas, so I dont really see the big problem you all do here..

You wanna bet? Keep in mind this applies to restaurants as well (including food trucks) and no new restaurants (including food trucks) are putting in electric grills.

Why do you Californians hate taco trucks???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Berkely was the first to ban smoking in restaurants & bars, and first on other health regulations - trust them on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wanna bet? Keep in mind this applies to restaurants as well (including food trucks) and no new restaurants (including food trucks) are putting in electric grills. //

SO once again, you want to base you indignation on the one, and not the one thousand. I dont know the fine print for taco trucks, but I do know that the number of homes will be in the millions over the next years. SO for all you apparently math challenged out there, if you put up a normal solar system in CA, you will basically 0 out your gas and electric bills. So now that they build new homes with solar, it doesnt make sense to put in gas, as you will just be basically giving your extra power(generated by the sun by the way) to the grid. I have gas on my water heater, dryer, stove, and heater, and if I had a normal size solar system, I would pay nothing to run it all, converted gas and electric.

So in the macro sense, we will use a ton less coal and gas, and no doubt some smart guy is going to invent an electric stove to heat just like gas soon...

But continue with your indignation and champion the taco trucks, which of course are all now grandfathered in. Might have just made all those old trucks a lot more valuable..
Quote Reply
Re: Berserkley descends into madness [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Berkely was the first to ban smoking in restaurants & bars, and first on other health regulations - trust them on this.

LOL! Does Berkely approve fake sick notes?

Donkeys are funny!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
You wanna bet? Keep in mind this applies to restaurants as well (including food trucks) and no new restaurants (including food trucks) are putting in electric grills. //

SO once again, you want to base you indignation on the one, and not the one thousand. I dont know the fine print for taco trucks, but I do know that the number of homes will be in the millions over the next years. SO for all you apparently math challenged out there, if you put up a normal solar system in CA, you will basically 0 out your gas and electric bills. So now that they build new homes with solar, it doesnt make sense to put in gas, as you will just be basically giving your extra power(generated by the sun by the way) to the grid. I have gas on my water heater, dryer, stove, and heater, and if I had a normal size solar system, I would pay nothing to run it all, converted gas and electric.

So in the macro sense, we will use a ton less coal and gas, and no doubt some smart guy is going to invent an electric stove to heat just like gas soon...

But continue with your indignation and champion the taco trucks, which of course are all now grandfathered in. Might have just made all those old trucks a lot more valuable..

Indignation? Hey, you commies do what you want to do. But, you cannot get pissy when Free American laughs at you. Quit being a little bitch.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Berserkley descends into madness [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
JSA wrote:
monty wrote:

Indignation? Hey, you commies do what you want to do. But, you cannot get pissy when Free American laughs at you. Quit being a little bitch.

Lol without those Berkeley hippies, you probably wouldn't be posting this on the internet :)

LOL! Al Gore is from Berkeley?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
spudone wrote:
JSA wrote:
monty wrote:

Lol without those Berkeley hippies, you probably wouldn't be posting this on the internet :)

Without this Berkeley alum you wouldn't have much of a football team...

Quote Reply
Re: Berserkley descends into madness [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
JSA wrote:
spudone wrote:
JSA wrote:
monty wrote:

Without this Berkeley alum you wouldn't have much of a football team...

So even worse than 6-9-1?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in all seriousness, and without righteous indignation, this idea seems good in theory but in practice it's less than effective because of all the NIMBYism you see in the Bay Area. They're not building new housing up there, which is why rents and real estate costs are through the roof.

Multi-family housing close to mass transit is just as important as solar panels on all houses and businesses in the big scheme of things.

Finally, all of this is sort of silly until we are able to lessen dependency on the grid. The long pole in the tent is batteries... until we can store all the energy we can harness from solar we're not truly independent.

monty wrote:
I'm guessing this has to do with the timing of the solar panel mandate. Since every new home now has to have solar, it would be less intrusive on someones electric bill to add some more demand there. Guessing the panels will way out pace the demand that losing gas will cause. And keep in mind that we live in California, not Iowa or Chicago, heat bills here at minimal, my gas bill is around 8 dollars a month, goes up to 12 in the winter. Solar on my roof would be 50+ times more than the gas I use..

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Berserkley descends into madness [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you been to the Bay Area recently? Have you seen the transit villages built or being built in Fremont, Dublin, and Walnut Creek? Have you seen the in-fill developments in the Tri-valley and East Bay?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

They don't build new homes in Berkeley. Its well documented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:

You mean according to the opinion piece.

People may leave Berkeley for all sorts of reasons, but I’m guessing the number of people who have left over a restriction that, if enacted, will only apply to new construction that has been permitted after 1/1/2020 approaches zero.
Quote Reply
Re: Berserkley descends into madness [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:

You mean according to the opinion piece.

People may leave Berkeley for all sorts of reasons, but I’m guessing the number of people who have left over a restriction that, if enacted, will only apply to new construction that has been permitted after 1/1/2020 approaches zero.

Agreed. Now the rampant and aggressive homeless population on the other hand....
Quote Reply