Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aftermarket battery for Garmin Edge 820
Quote | Reply
After 2 short years... the battery of Edge 820 is not able to finish my long rides (+5hrs).

More or less the same thing happen with my 810. I'm not really crazy about getting a new computer that will only last 2 years...

Just wandering if anyone could recommend an aftermarket option (and if i need any specialized tools to change it)

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Aftermarket battery for Garmin Edge 820 [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
After 2 short years... the battery of Edge 820 is not able to finish my long rides (+5hrs).

More or less the same thing happen with my 810. I'm not really crazy about getting a new computer that will only last 2 years...

Just wandering if anyone could recommend an aftermarket option (and if i need any specialized tools to change it)

Ben

For these kind of issues Garmin can typically be talked into exchanging the computer for a refurbished unit at $99 if its out of warranty. You can ask that they send it ahead of returning your unit by paying twice the cost and they'll ship the new one immediately then refund half when your unit arrives at Garmin.

Quick search online turned up this option:

https://www.newpower99.com/...min%20edge%20820.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moy6K4h7AIM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any external USB battery should work. Not sure how the 820 plays when being plugged/unplugged while recording a ride.

Another option is going full on dynamo on your front wheel.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a direct reply to your Q... but an observation from my use of a rather old Edge 800.
Ive found mine holds up well enough for 8-10 hr days out, PROVIDING I'm not on the map page constantly and not forever zooming in amd out on the map page - as that puts the screen light on and just generally eats battery power. (It halves in life if I do constantly feck about on the map page).

Are you on the map page ? Or have the backlight on constantly ? Altering those can make a big difference.
Also on a 820 is it constantly connected to a phone with bluetooth ? There's another drain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:

Ben

Wow. I've got a 510 that's still going over 12 hours between charges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI -
There is a replacement battery offered out on Amazon. I did that, but it wasn't any better. Still wouldn't last 5 hours, and the product is glued together, so taking it apart is a bit risky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, sound like i should disable few features before i get a new battery... hopefully, it will get me thru summer! (and only change computer next spring)
Quote Reply