Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Womens MTBers
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies,

If you mountain bike, what are you riding? I'm looking at maybe doing Xterra French River next year and would like to upgrade from my entry-level hardtail to a FS rig, but without breaking the bank (ie. full carbon S-Works is not on the radar!). Current top contenders: Scott Spark, Trek Lush/Fuel, Juliana Furtado.

I got a lot of good advice in the main forum, but since I am looking at a couple of women-specific bikes I'm wondering if anyone has already done this research. I would love all thoughts, wisdom and experiences!
Quote Reply
Re: Womens MTBers [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a Specialized Camber, 27.5 wheels. They run about $1600-1700 and are FS.

I bought it 1. because it was on sale and 2. my MTB friend said it was a great bike for what I'd be riding (off road tri, SF Bay Area trails). So far, I love it. No issues with the suspension or anything else. It fits me really well - and its NOT a women specific design. I actually bought the 'men's' version due to frame color... and because when I was comparing geometry, the only thing that I couldn't adjust later with a cut was the crank length. And at my size, the crank length was the same from women's sizing to men's sizing.

I am no expert on MTB, but when I started looking at the sport I was super lost and received what I thought was good advice. So I'm sharing my experience.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FullS is not necessary for this course imo. (looked at race videos). This does not appear to be a big-hit/big-drop technical course.
Front suspension, sure, I could argue that a cyclocross bike would be used (if higher level bike skills).

full suspension very wasteful in pedaling efforts unless you need that control for big rocky descents or boulder-y terrain.

Tree roots seem to be biggest obstacle - esp if rainy (see 2015 video). There is nothing more slippery than tree roots.

Tire pressure and handling skills will be better investments than a new bike.

What is your bike look like now? Happy to make suggestions to what you have if any are needed.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Womens MTBers [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Anne.

Let me be abundantly clear about this - I know that certainly do not need to upgrade anything, and not to full suspension. However, I would like to! People who have ridden the French River course like FS, although some didn't feel it was necessary. The general riding in my local area (Maine, NH, VT) lends itself to a full suspension trail/XC type bike nicely, and honestly, I would like more squoosh. And, N+1 ;o)

My current bike is a Liv Tempt. It's fine; maybe a size too small (XS), but not uncomfortably so. I'm more upright than aggressive. I'm 5'3, long-waisted with short arms and legs. I don't do a lot (read: any) mountain biking right now, but I'd like to and am planning to do more. So things like tire pressure are still a mystery to me. Should I be clipped in (would be SPD), or riding flats to start with? If flats, what are the best shoes? How big is a reasonable size hydration pack? What have I not even thought about yet?!

I've found a local women's mtb group who host a beginner ride once a week that I'm intending to become a regular at, and I'm all in for any information anyone is willing to impart! I don't even know what I don't know, at this point.
Last edited by: UK2ME: Jul 16, 19 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, having raced in VT (Catamount!) and NH back in the day, then YES full suspension. I wished I had had it back then. LOL. You are in mtb heaven (outside of W.VA)

for sure become a regular with that mtb group. Just like anything else, there is a lot to learn can't do it all in one day. Experience and learn every day. Familiarity with a course counts for a ton, so if yo

If you are nearby that course go and check it out. Any time you can check out a course the day before is good, even if just walking it.

Go get a Fitting done - if you are a STW (Super Tiny Woman) not only is frame size/brand important but suspension setup as well. Getting suspension to actually function with Not Much Weight requires nicer components/smart tuning. Don't forget your tires/tire pressure are part of that suspension. Hehehe back last century that was ALL you had for suspension, if like me you started riding mtb without fork suspension either.

Now we have tubeless setups (allows for lower pressure) plus nifty pressure sensors like TyreWiz

In regards clipping in/flats, you are always better off being attached to the bike. I know I speak like a crazy old lady, but I say this to get people off the mindset that clipped in = doom. You've got 5 points of contact with a bike, and you should have at least four of them at any given time. Two feet, two hands, and a butt (two cheeks, one butt). In mtb you are out of the saddle a lot, much more than on the road. Bumps, obstacles etc. So balance between hands and feet are all ya got. If feet slipp off platform, yeeet!

It's ok to fall over with feet still clipped in. Or karaaang off into the bushes still clipped in. Or slide down the hill still clipped in. I've done all of those....

Learn the bunny hop: pop that front wheel over the thing in front of you. Practice with nothing, or plastic cups. Learn to hop rear wheel. Learn to ride in mud and slippery slopes. This is fun.

hydration packs: well, I had three of them at one point, depending on the length of my event. Or hot damn hot it was. Nothing worse than 3L of water weight on your back for a 1hour ride.

feel free to pm me for mtb-familiar Fitter recomendation in your area (or just blurt it out here)

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Womens MTBers [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
If you are nearby that course go and check it out. Any time you can check out a course the day before is good, even if just walking it.

I'm hoping that I can become familiar with similar terrain here in Maine and then be able to take those skills to the pre-ride this time next year. My stepkid just graduated from college right up the road from Kingdom Trails - he took his mountain bike one year and rode it once. Kills me! (Although, said bike is likely going to be part of the trade-in that allows me to upgrade, so....)

Quote:
Go get a Fitting done - if you are a STW (Super Tiny Woman) not only is frame size/brand important but suspension setup as well. Getting suspension to actually function with Not Much Weight requires nicer components/smart tuning.

This is something really of interest to me. The research I've done indicates that the better women-specific bikes have components that are more suited to lighter riders - apparently a typical woman of a certain height is on average 30lb lighter than a man of the same height. Now, I am, ahem.... not light. I am hovering around 180 right now, and if I could ever get down to 150 I would be happier than a pig in manure. I suspect I would likely be as well placed on a men's bike as anything else - is that a fair assessment? Since the options are greater and you don't have to pay the Pink Tax, it would sure be preferable!

Quote:
In regards clipping in/flats, you are always better off being attached to the bike. I know I speak like a crazy old lady, but I say this to get people off the mindset that clipped in = doom.

Learn the bunny hop: pop that front wheel over the thing in front of you. Practice with nothing, or plastic cups. Learn to hop rear wheel. Learn to ride in mud and slippery slopes. This is fun.

I am generally inclined to clip in - despite all the people who say that you hone better skills on flats, there's something comforting about being attached to the bike. I have a CX bike that I bought with the intention of racing and never did, so developing off-road skills is something I'm all about at the moment.

Speaking of FUN.... That's exactly why I'm doing this! My season goal of "going long" has not been hugely successful and I'm a bit burnt out right now, so I am looking for ways to bring joy back into my bike and tri life. I'm hopeful that this might be part of it (along with lots of volunteering and cheering).

Thanks for the insights! I would love to know who you think would be good to talk to in my area - I live just south of Portland ME, but I don't mind a drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am not familiar with any Fitters quite near you, but if you are ok with a long drive here are my recommendations

Ian Buchanan, Fitwerks in Waitsfield, VT. SOOOoooper nice, was one of my instructors a million years ago.

Steven LeBoyer, Savile Road, Delmar, NY ALSO soooooper nice, as the name implies everything he does is tailored. MAjor brand to consider with him is Moots.

couple of other large shops with fitting services in the Boston area, including Landrys', Wheelworks (Yeti bikes a classic)

Will admit to being way behind the times in regards to mtb products, suspension theory, etc. Suffice to say that materials and design have improved for everyone, not just women (certainly knew a lot of whippet-sized guys who couldn't bottom out a 60mm travel fork)
But once you get the basic idea then you experiment and figure out what you like best. there is no 'one' way. Or you could be like my and not care and just thrash on.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently upgraded to the Juliana Furtado. It's an absolutely awesome bike. Climbs well, handles everything. I sort of think of it as my "bike for life." I don't know anything about the course you want to race but most Xterras include enough gnarly stuff that you'll be glad for the FS. A hardtail may be slightly faster if you're at the pointy end of the field but I find the better handling and confidence I get on my FS makes ME faster on pretty much everything that's not a fire road.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens MTBers [Trizebbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was shopping for bikes, I was seriously looking at the Santa Cruz 5010 / Juliana Furtado. I ended up getting an Alchemy Arktos at 40% off (they were selling off their barely used demo fleet. It's a big bike though (suitable for parks, has a 150 mm drop) and now I'm almost wishing I got something mid-drop for Xterra racing (or a hard tail).

My advice is to just demo a lot of bikes and see what you like best.

As for flats, I won't ever go back to being clipped in. Get good shoes and pedals and your feet will be stuck just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens MTBers [Trizebbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all, for the help and recommendations.

I demo'd a Furtado 27.5+ for a week, tried out a Santa Cruz 5010, and had a test ride on a Liv Pique Advanced. Ultimately, I preferred the confidence I got from the mid-fat tyres on the Furtado so that's what I ended up ordering. Waiting for the 2020 to be released at the end of this month, which gets me an upgrade to 12-speed on the "entry-level" build. Planning on adding a dropper before I bring her home, and then she'll be more bike that I ever need!

I'm super excited, and really looking forward to checking out some more of our local trails.
Last edited by: UK2ME: Aug 2, 19 11:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've made a great choice with the Furtado! I also have the 27.5+ setup and it's awesome. The increased handling and confidence it has given me has meant I've been riding so much more since I got this bike.
Quote Reply