Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve been in NYC and outside most of the day. Itā€™s not a heat wave. Iā€™m sorry. This isnā€™t me saying Iā€™m a tough guy and everyone should HTFU, or because Iā€™m used to a hotter climate, itā€™s not a big deal. I was expecting to walk outside and be blasted in the face with heat and humidity this morning. Itā€™s just not there. Yes itā€™s hot. But it doesnā€™t feel like ā€œcity crisisā€ hot.

I just did a 45 min class at the peloton studio with 50 other people and no fans. That was hotter and more uncomfortable than running outside in this ā€œheat wave.ā€ Under my bike looked like a pool deck.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I just got a laugh that this race was cancelled yet I saw email talking about another local race to do ā€œnow that your NYC Tri is cancelledā€....same state and area that apparently is too hot to do one race but not another. That was funny.

Not to single you out, but this a near perfect example of not understanding environmental factors.

NYC is a big heat island. All that pavement, metal, brick get hot and stay hot. They trap the air and hold in the pollution. It is much hotter there than 20 miles east or west. The race I assume you are referencing is in Montauk, about 130 mile east. The high there tomorrow will be in the low 80's with a breeze. It is essentially surrounded by cool water.

Just going into western Nassau country will be noticeably cooler.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently, but that doesn't invalidate the science. Nothing in my post is incorrect.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Apparently, but that doesn't invalidate the science. Nothing in my post is incorrect.

Sorry, that wasnā€™t meant to reply to your comment. I just hit yours because it was last one in the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Cancellation was political

https://www.triathlete.com/...lon-this-year_381696

Great article! Does anyone know anything about the new course? Swim @ Coney Island? Bike to Manhattan on closed roads? Run Central Park?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! šŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:

Great article! Does anyone know anything about the new course? Swim @ Coney Island? Bike to Manhattan on closed roads? Run Central Park?

I havenā€™t heard anything about the new course.

2 of my friends went to get their rides in this morning and said it was the most pleasant ride in the past 2 months, lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:

Agree great article.

From what Iā€™ve heard the transition area will move to 99th Street. The bike will still be on the west side highway and run also in Central Park. The construction is impacting the current transition areas by 72nd street. I donā€™t think itā€™s a complete overhaul of the course just some changes here and there. But some parts may still be fluid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Iā€™ve been in NYC and outside most of the day. Itā€™s not a heat wave. Iā€™m sorry. This isnā€™t me saying Iā€™m a tough guy and everyone should HTFU, or because Iā€™m used to a hotter climate, itā€™s not a big deal. I was expecting to walk outside and be blasted in the face with heat and humidity this morning. Itā€™s just not there. Yes itā€™s hot. But it doesnā€™t feel like ā€œcity crisisā€ hot.

I just did a 45 min class at the peloton studio with 50 other people and no fans. That was hotter and more uncomfortable than running outside in this ā€œheat wave.ā€ Under my bike looked like a pool deck.

Donā€™t say itā€™s not that hot out there based on your INDOOR spin class.

I rode the GWB and 9w today from 11-3pm given Iā€™m no longer racing tomorrow. Brutal, but manageable conditions especially given most would be done by 11am. Regardless I agree with the view in the triathlete article.

Till the next one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Color me unimpressed that apparently only one island in the US is seemingly this hot that it has to be cancelled to protect humanity.

ETA: I'm not actually disagreeing with you that the conditions are hot, I'm simply disagreeing that they results in a total DNS. But as just was reported when it gets "political" it results in a shoulder shrug.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 20, 19 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newtryguy101 wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:

Donā€™t say itā€™s not that hot out there based on your INDOOR spin class.

I rode the GWB and 9w today from 11-3pm given Iā€™m no longer racing tomorrow. Brutal, but manageable conditions especially given most would be done by 11am. Regardless I agree with the view in the triathlete article.

Till the next one!

Lol, the spin class was only 45 minutes. I have been outside the rest of the day. Itā€™s hotter now later in the day, especially in the sun. But this morning it was fairly mild.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Thanks a I appreciate that. My wife has already started purchasing tickets to things all over town :-(

So your wife has convinced the mayor to cancel a tri, to go shopping?!? /Pink
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [Dane82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly - did you know there are places that sell womenā€™s cloths in NY šŸ˜©

Maybe DeBlazio is smarter than we think šŸ˜Š

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Jul 20, 19 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Exactly - did you know there are places that sell womenā€™s cloths in NY šŸ˜©

Maybe DeBlazio is smarter than we think šŸ˜Š

Thatā€™s not a high bar.

Iā€™d be shocked if he was dumber than I already think
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel pretty bad for those who planned to race who now bummed out (though I'm sure many are relieved). I remember how I felt when Bloomberg, I mean Sandy, cancelled NYCM --pretty deflated.

I was supposed to pace the NYRR 10 mile tun-up today, that was cancelled just before the NYCT announcement went out.

I got up and ran loops of Prospect Park at 8am this morning. It was 89 at the time with a "feels like" of 95 --super humid. It sucked big time. I got 12 miles in but couldn't have gone a foot more and was slower than what I would have been pacing the 10 for, for sure. Now it's a "feels like" of 106.

I agree with what some say that the "average" racer at NYC Tri isn't a Kona-level person and would not have done well in this heat. Many still would have crushed the race, sure, but I bet more would have dropped and the run would have been a miserable walkfest --there could be issues with people passing out or worse. It's nasty out and yeah it may be hotter elsewhere but people here aren't used to these temps and definitely don't train in these temps. Still sucks overall and I might feel different if I'd been reg'd to race but man, this heat blows.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's now 5:30am, the race should have been starting soon and it's 84*. By noon when it should be over, it will be up to 93*.

Unpleasant conditions, sure. Dangerous? Give me a break DeBlazio!

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! šŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just came in from another run on the trails near my house. As I was crossing the paved bike path, a group of casual cyclists was coming. They were talking and although I couldn't hear everything they were saying, I think it went something like this;

Did you hear that NYC triathlon was cancelled because of the heat?

Really, I thought they were hard-core?

Nah, they used to be hard-core, but those people are all retired from the sport. Now it's just a bunch of wimps who go around looking for the fastest courses with ridiculously easy swims.

I guess so, it doesn't even seem so hot out here today!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
It's now 5:30am, the race should have been starting soon and it's 84*. By noon when it should be over, it will be up to 93*.

Unpleasant conditions, sure. Dangerous? Give me a break DeBlazio!

That was my question... what are the actual race temps. We raced in my state yesterday, and it was about what Sweeny mentions above. Hot yes, but average for a summer race. later in the afternoon it was 103, with a heat index of 108. But by that time, the race had long since been over.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran about 12 miles this morning. Seemed to be about 4000 other people in the park anyway running or biking or rollerblading. Older folks, kids under 5, etc. Not a single lifeless body on the pavement that succumbed to the heat. Shade was nice. In the sun it was warm. But itā€™s summer...to be expected.

Iā€™m glad they cancelled though. There were a lot of hills and it was difficult for me since Iā€™m coming from the south where it is very flat. Itā€™s unfair to expect me to do hills that everyone here trains in when Iā€™m at home on flat ground. That would have been hard. [/pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
I just came in from another run on the trails near my house. As I was crossing the paved bike path, a group of casual cyclists was coming. They were talking and although I couldn't hear everything they were saying, I think it went something like this;

Did you hear that NYC triathlon was cancelled because of the heat?

Really, I thought they were hard-core?

Nah, they used to be hard-core, but those people are all retired from the sport. Now it's just a bunch of wimps who go around looking for the fastest courses with ridiculously easy swims.

I guess so, it doesn't even seem so hot out here today!

I did a mtb race this am. My wave (Cat2) went out at 9am, and it was already near 90 then.
Nobody died, I don't think there were even any major crashes, and it's a pretty technical course in spots.
It was unpleasant, and I had puddles of sweat pooling in my shoes by the end, but hey - it's July.

The Cat1's didn't START until 11:30 - ouchie.
But, their race went on unabated, with no shortening of the distance, or - GASP! - cancellation.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Tri this morning. Was 83 degrees at about 10am. They closed the course. Most were done except some back half of Olympic Distance who were likely mostly on 2nd loop.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to those that were looking forward to the race.

To those who havenā€™t raced let me tell you the water is disgusting* and the waiting to start race is excruciating. edit* the water is vile.

Itā€™s a fast bike and the run is fun and hot!

Itā€™s a one and done race for sure.

Definitely put it back on your bucket list again
Last edited by: Reactions: Jul 21, 19 15:21
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Changpao [ In reply to ]
Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah mine showed up on my CC statement about a week after the race was cancelled. No email but they gave me my money back. Check your CC.

Re: NYC Triathlon CANCELLED [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. My mistake- it was refunded.
Quote Reply

Prev Next