Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Big Reveal tonight who's excited... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checking the official website https://www.chevrolet.com/...-generation-corvette

To see if I can find out that info. Given this is on the new electrical architecture I would expect it to but who knows what GM has put on it.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Reveal tonight who's excited... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found it interesting that they added kW to the description... 'producing up to 495 horsepower (369 kW) '
Quote Reply
Re: Big Reveal tonight who's excited... [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
I found it interesting that they added kW to the description... 'producing up to 495 horsepower (369 kW) '

I believe because Australia historically uses kW to measure horsepower. Since it will be made in right hand driver, good chance they are planning on selling a few in Australia.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Reveal tonight who's excited... [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

I believe because Australia historically uses kW to measure horsepower. Since it will be made in right hand driver, good chance they are planning on selling a few in Australia.
Doesn't everybody (except the US and maybe still the UK) use watts as their unit for power for everything (and not just for light bulbs)?

I looked into buying a Porsche in 1985 when I was stationed in Germany. The sales pitch included something like, "Yah, zee engine vill produce XXX kilovatts at YYY rpm!" Made me think how many 'murcans wondered if they were buying a car with an electric motor.

I don't know how many Corvettes GM might sell outside the US, but good for them to provide the power in units of watts.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Reveal tonight who's excited... [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
chaparral wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

Doesn't everybody (except the US and maybe still the UK) use watts as their unit for power for everything (and not just for light bulbs)?

I looked into buying a Porsche in 1985 when I was stationed in Germany. The sales pitch included something like, "Yah, zee engine vill produce XXX kilovatts at YYY rpm!" Made me think how many 'murcans wondered if they were buying a car with an electric motor.

I don't know how many Corvettes GM might sell outside the US, but good for them to provide the power in units of watts.

Most place uses watts for power for the vast majority of things, even the US. But cars, lots of places still use horsepower. And the crazy thing is there are a couple slightly different horsepower ratings out there. Germany uses DIN horsepower. A couple countries us PS, that is slightly less prescribed version of DIN that is essentially "metric" horsepower. My favorite is Italy where it is CV, or chevaux vapeur, which translate to "vapor horse." That is because it originated as way to measure steam engines, hence the vapor.

I mean, car companies generally don't use kW, because it is lower number than horsepower, so it makes the car seem not as good. That is why it is only really Australia and South Africa that historically base advertisements on kW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I saw 2 non camoed ones today. Sat in one. The HVAC controls don't twist, but each one has some tactile differences. I think as a driver there might be one or two of those switches you want to move often, and I would think you will learn the feel of them. But from the drivers perspective they really are in your periphery. Oh and as a none vette fan.. Sitting in this thing was a bit out there. The cockpit effect is in full force. Been in the benchmark Midengine supercars and this one was easier to get in and out of and just seemed more cockpit like (if that's what folks want I think this car delivers)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The E46 BMW had a slight tilt of the dash toward the driver. I really liked the cockpit feel of it while driving and enjoyed it as passenger too. Easier to relax (and/or sleep) as passenger.

Never been much of a fan of the vette in the past, this one looks pretty sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was younger I was enamored with supercars: Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. When I finally got the chance to sit in one roughly around age 17 the glamor quickly wore off: even at relatively “normal” 6’2” I couldn’t get in the friggin thing (I think it was a Ferrari California convertible). Even as an impressionable teenager my immediate thought was “I would never own such a car”.

If Chevrolet eased the ingress/egress issue that would probably be a marked achievement on its own. They had video of the car on Bloomberg this morning and, IMO, it’s gorgeous. They’ll probably sell a ton of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jay Leno did a review in this 'Leno's Garage' series in YouTube. Gorgeous car for sure, and the interior looks great. I usually get disappointed in the quality of the interior on the 'Vette's but looking forward to sitting in this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Reveal tonight who's excited... [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Jay Leno did a review in this 'Leno's Garage' series in YouTube. Gorgeous car for sure, and the interior looks great. I usually get disappointed in the quality of the interior on the 'Vette's but looking forward to sitting in this one.

The options for the interior look way better. But at probably around 80k for the LT3. I would really have to like it a lot.

The 4 year old c7s are pretty cheap now too. I generally avoid new cars if I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They’ll probably sell a ton of them.

Almost sold out already according to this article.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen a few out in the wild now. There were a few that looked like they were doing laps around Milford during Milford Memories, and I saw a black one in Ann Arbor and a white one at Costco.

The white one had regular (non-manufacturer) plates on it, but a Captured Test Fleet sticker in the windshield.

Nice looking cars in person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.thedrive.com/news/36429/this-chevy-corvette-c8-with-ferrari-badges-was-an-a-troll-job?fbclid=IwAR3vfStgkHZICP4CUOw0B4-5zSzyu7nK_Slze_egkbJQ16bAKFQeLOZn6cw

Quote Reply

Prev Next