Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [FFigawi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - that's only about 106 inches so should be plenty of room for creative measuring if a ticket agent goes rogue.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got lucky. It actually is buried on their website that it's only for tickets purchased after July 17th. Just not on the page with baggage restrictions. Super scummy IMO and I'm going to avoid flying delta from now on for sure
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about doing the Challenge Cancun next year. I always fly Delta (status) and this is really good news. But here's the deal. I currently do all my races on an old Giant Defy (road bike) but I'm planning on buying a tri bike in the next 18 months. It's probably a good idea to wait until I buy a triathlon bike to also buy a proper case for it. A case that will fit the bike. I don't want to spend money now on a case that might not fit the tri bike.

In that case, no pun intended, I was looking into getting a regular bike cardboard box for this trip to Cancun. Fedex sells bike boxes (https://www.fedex.com/...-boxes/services.html) and the measurements (54" x 28" x 8" = 90") are under Delta's requirements (115").

Is this the way to go??
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gguerini wrote:

In that case, no pun intended, I was looking into getting a regular bike cardboard box for this trip to Cancun. Fedex sells bike boxes (https://www.fedex.com/...-boxes/services.html) and the measurements (54" x 28" x 8" = 90") are under Delta's requirements (115").

Is this the way to go??

So I am always giving my mates a hard time about spending money on fancy bike boxes and one of them laid down a challenge for me to see how well a cardboard box would hold up to my travel habits.This box carried my CAAD8 undamaged on 31 flights over three continents in 2017/18 before the check in staff in Brisbane started laughing at how much tape was holding it together and told me that I should retire it.I am almost due to retire the box that is two boxes removed from this one.

Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
gguerini wrote:

Is this the way to go??

So I am always giving my mates a hard time about spending money on fancy bike boxes and one of them laid down a challenge for me to see how well a cardboard box would hold up to my travel habits.This box carried my CAAD8 undamaged on 31 flights over three continents in 2017/18 before the check in staff in Brisbane started laughing at how much tape was holding it together and told me that I should retire it.I am almost due to retire the box that is two boxes removed from this one.

hahah that answers my question!
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman ... have you finished with your research? What is the conclusion?

I've read this entire thread. I thought from reading this that as long as the bike case is under 50 lbs AND under 115 linear inches that Delta would waive the fees. I have an international flight on Delta next week. I called up Delta to confirm. What they stated was that anything over 62 linear inches OR 50 lbs would incur the excess luggage fees. This is contrary to what is said in some of the posts in this thread. Perhaps, the person at the data center answering my phone calls (talked to 2 different agents on two separate calls) is not as keep as the agent on the ground at the airport.

It would be nice to hear from a bunch of people on ST who purchased a ticket after July 17, have flown on delta since the purchased of that ticket, and what the result was when they brought their bike bag to the airport.

Slowman wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Now that I have another screen in front of me I have real numbers.

So when you go to the standard check bag allowance page it gives you the cost up to two bags. Now those two bags cannot exceed 62 inches. Which means like one bike box fits maybe.

So then I clicked on the baggage fee and details rules. Then onto the overweight and oversized bags. When you go to oversized it says bags larger than 80 inches aren’t allowed. Well that obviously can’t be the right section either because only one or two bike boxes fit. No one could ever fly on delta if that was the case so oversize isn’t the right section to use.

Then you click on specialty items, then sports equipment. For all sports equipment at the top of that section it says you now get up to 115 inches. So this is the correct section at least. And it says normal bag fees apply.

For the bike section it says “standard baggage allowance and fees”. You still have to be under 50lbs to not get an overweight fee. But it really does look like the bike fee is gone. There is other section you could actually cover a bike under besides the bike section.

that's what i thought it said at first read. but if you look at it closely, what's more likely is that you can't take the bag on at all of it exceeds 115". not that it goes as regular baggage under 115".

i think it's likely that they've matched american. however, at the ticket counter the agent is simply going to look up the rules and read them. what is that agent likely to interpret? in any case, we're researching it now.

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:

I've read this entire thread. I thought from reading this that as long as the bike case is under 50 lbs AND under 115 linear inches that Delta would waive the fees. I have an international flight on Delta next week. I called up Delta to confirm. What they stated was that anything over 62 linear inches OR 50 lbs would incur the excess luggage fees. This is contrary to what is said in some of the posts in this thread. Perhaps, the person at the data center answering my phone calls (talked to 2 different agents on two separate calls) is not as keep as the agent on the ground at the airport.

It would be nice to hear from a bunch of people on ST who purchased a ticket after July 17, have flown on delta since the purchased of that ticket, and what the result was when they brought their bike bag to the airport.

I flew at the end of July before I knew about this updated policy and it was a tale of two.
Leaving Los Angeles flying to Michigan -- was charged $150
Leaving Michigan for Los Angeles -- was charged $0 (mind you, I'm Delta Platinum and bags are free but not bike bag fees)

So, I got home, found this thread and called Delta to tell them about my $150 charge. They refunded my money and apologized. So, the policy does exist!!

I'm also flying tomorrow morning at 6am... we'll see how it goes but I'll definitely have all website info pulled up to show them.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's the bicycle policy per the website:

• Bicycles… are allowed as checked baggage on most flights and fees … apply.
  • Standard baggage allowance and fees based on cabin and travel region apply.
  • Bicycles weighing over 50 lbs. will be charged the applicable excess weight fee.
  • If outside linear dimensions (length + width + height) exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm) or exceeds 100 lbs item not accepted.
  • Items in excess of baggage allowance will be subject to additional or overweight baggage fees.

the website agents say they have a "tool" for these questions and the tool says bikes checked as regular baggage. the first 2 points above tend to justify this. standard baggage allowance and fees apply. but... the dimensional statement simply says that anything over 115" is not allowed on the plane (not that it'll get charged an excess fee). so, what about stuff under 115"? and more than 62". online agents say charged as regular bags.

nevertheless, i have a note in right now to Delta, i'll get the answer back in writing. what i asked is:

1. are bikes, in hard shell cases, under 50lb, charged as regular checked (not oversized) baggage?
2. "Baggage Protection" (insurance) starts at $3,500. Are bikes that are lost given a price limit if Delta needs to reimburse the customer? is it $3,500? or something else?

we'll see what they answer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flew Delta this weekend to a race and back. Checked by bike in soft shell scion tri case. Delta charged me the $30 bag fee, no extra charge. Agent explained regular luggage has the 62 inch limit but bikes good to 115”. Also a 50 lb limit but they usually grace you up to 51 pounds. In this day and age of tracked luggage lost bags are extremely rare. Delta has always treated me very well, if you ever encounter a problem politely ask to speak to a “red coat agent”( a semi-supervisor). They are special trained and vetted to handled problems. Delta prides itself on treating people right.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also just flew Delta to Nice this week with tickets booked after the policy change... 48 lbs, EVOC Pro bag, had to sign a liability waiver for a soft-sided bag. Counter lady initially said $30 (hometown to hub), but I reminded her the bag needed to be through-checked through two itineraries both Delta, so $60 (international, hometown to hub to Nice). She got frazzled in the process, and didn't end up charging me for the bike!

Most people flying through my small hometown airport have bikes or skis with them, so glad they knew the policy!
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [fate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flew from DTW to LAX on Tuesday with a bike fee of $40 as it was my second bag. No hassles at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:

alright. the definitive answer is on our front page. also, please note a new thread, the Ministry of Travel, which is there to answer any questions about travel, whatever travel may mean to you, as long as it's in the context of swim, bike and run. we'll pay special attention to this thread, that is, rather than simply a thread, it's a "curated" thread, meaning we'll monitor it as if it were a tech support thread.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just flew Delta from the U.S to Europe. For my trip, my bike box, with its 100 linear inches was free. However, since it was 73 lbs, they gave me the option to remove 23 lbs from my bike box for pay the $100 excess fees. Since I didn't have enough room anywhere to store the extra 23 lbs, I chose to pay for the excess fees.

Prev Next