Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When do you go to a Dr about depression? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Totally unrelated to my mortgage thread...

I think I'm depressed. My wife thinks so too. Life has been an epic shit storm, on personal, marital, and professional fronts for a little while now. I feel like it's all I can do to hunker down and weather the storms, rather then be proactive and attack/fix my problems. I have no energy or drive for my workouts. I'm procrastinating making some pretty big decisions at work. I just feel behind on everything.

I've never been on anti-depressants or anxiety medication. I'm usually an even keeled guy, but, do deal with some intense anxiety (mind is often racing, I have a hard time leaving thoughts or work unfinished, etc). I don't know what to expect wrt medication or if I should be exploring other options.

Part of me doesn't like the idea of blunting my feelings (if that's even what the medication does) and would prefer to try anything else to right the ship. I don't know if my emotional state is contributing to my problems, or just caused by them.

I'm not sure if I need to HTFU or seek help.

Three sentences into your post, I said, out loud, "now." The brain is a wonderful, complex, fucked up thing and chemical imbalances can cause hellish results, many of which can be corrected quite easily. Make an appointment today! Despite your Canadianity, I like having you around this place and would like to keep seeing you here ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't wait. Go now. I often wait too long to go back (adjustment of doses, new issues, or just to chat) and always get angry at myself for waiting so long to do it. When you get back to feeling closer to your "normal", you will likely realize how far off that level you were and question why you waited.

As for meds, I have been on some that made me a zombie, one that made me sleep for 24 hours straight, and some that did absolutely nothing. It really seems to be trial and error until you and your doc find that one that works best for you. My mix now is usually great. If things start to become not great, we temporarily adjust the mix until life gets back to normal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: When do you go to a Dr about depression? [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ASAP!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't read all the responses, but the answer is right away.

If you think you're depressed, seek assistance. Don't "just" go to a MD to get a prescription. Go see a therapist. For a lot of us it's a temporary thing that can be worked through...not a permanent state. You need both an MD and a therapist to sort out your particular situation.

Quote Reply
Re: When do you go to a Dr about depression? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I think I'm depressed. My wife thinks so too. Life has been an epic shit storm, on personal, marital, and professional fronts for a little while now. I feel like it's all I can do to hunker down and weather the storms, rather then be proactive and attack/fix my problems. I have no energy or drive for my workouts. I'm procrastinating making some pretty big decisions at work. I just feel behind on everything.

I've never been on anti-depressants or anxiety medication. I'm usually an even keeled guy, but, do deal with some intense anxiety (mind is often racing, I have a hard time leaving thoughts or work unfinished, etc). I don't know what to expect wrt medication or if I should be exploring other options.

Part of me doesn't like the idea of blunting my feelings (if that's even what the medication does) and would prefer to try anything else to right the ship. I don't know if my emotional state is contributing to my problems, or just caused by them.

Three sentences into your post, I said, out loud, "now." The brain is a wonderful, complex, fucked up thing and chemical imbalances can cause hellish results, many of which can be corrected quite easily. Make an appointment today! Despite your Canadianity, I like having you around this place and would like to keep seeing you here ...

What if it is my Canadianity that is causing the depression??

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is an election coming maybe things will change hahaha.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

At some point, you may need to leave that communist country.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: When do you go to a Dr about depression? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Remind yourself, at least you're not French Canadian :)

I'm feeling better already!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't talk about this here in this forum but I am 7 years in stage 4 cancer battle. I'm still working, still leading out in many endeavors, I even have done several tri's in the first 4 years (retired from racing now) - I've been preparing so hard to take care of my wife after I'm gone, etc. Not all this time has been hard but in the midst of this and all that life brings I finally ask my oncologist in April for some help - I think of this as just taking the edge off. She put me on a very small dose of Zoloft and it has really helped me.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: When do you go to a Dr about depression? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:
I don't talk about this here in this forum but I am 7 years in stage 4 cancer battle. I'm still working, still leading out in many endeavors, I even have done several tri's in the first 4 years (retired from racing now) - I've been preparing so hard to take care of my wife after I'm gone, etc. Not all this time has been hard but in the midst of this and all that life brings I finally ask my oncologist in April for some help - I think of this as just taking the edge off. She put me on a very small dose of Zoloft and it has really helped me.

I know I've taken some jabs at you off and on with the political stuff, but man - I'm really sorry to hear this, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 7 years sounds like you've really kept up the good fight though. My thoughts are with you and your family.

X2

Keep fighting the fight. Cancer is bullshit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next