Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

50-55% FTP for long commute - beneficial?
Quote | Reply
I work 30 miles away from my house. Two times a week I will do intervals on trainerroad then hop on the bike and ride the hour and a half to work. Generally, I can easily average around 60% of my FTP on the way to work and around 50-55% on the way back without it impacting my runs/swims. My question is: is there benefit? I know "zone 2" is generally above 60%, but it takes me a lot of mental effort to hold 200+ watts for an additional 6+ hours a week. Suck it up?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: 50-55% FTP for long commute - beneficial? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a commute. Just ride.

When I do this, I typically do any "work" I want to get in, on the ride back home.
Of course, I often say I'm gonna do this, but then decide that JRA steady is fine.

Given that you've already done intervals prior, why would you feel compelled to add more "more" to the commute part?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 50-55% FTP for long commute - beneficial? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because... more is better, right?

It's a way I can get more "base" miles in my legs than having to rely solely on my 4 or 5 hour ride on the weekend.

Last edited by: cloy: Jul 17, 19 11:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice, subtle way to brag about your 320 watt FTP.

If I had a 30 mile commute where I could ride in steady high Z1, I'd do it. Unfortunately my commute is 5 miles with lots of stop signs and lights. I tried turning it into extra "base" miles and found it to be a waste of time.

Maybe just try it and see how your body responds.
Quote Reply
Re: 50-55% FTP for long commute - beneficial? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Nice, subtle way to brag about your 320 watt FTP.

If I had a 30 mile commute where I could ride in steady high Z1, I'd do it. Unfortunately my commute is 5 miles with lots of stop signs and lights. I tried turning it into extra "base" miles and found it to be a waste of time.

Same exact experience. I almost wish I had a longer commute just so it would be worth it to ride my bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd keep them at 50-55%, or less if necessary to still hit key workouts. Yes more is more. It will definitely benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: 50-55% FTP for long commute - beneficial? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 You did your real training for the day, just ride and enjoy. Staring at power numbers all the time can get pretty mentally exhausting ...

Murphy'sLaw wrote:
It's a commute. Just ride.
When I do this, I typically do any "work" I want to get in, on the ride back home.
Of course, I often say I'm gonna do this, but then decide that JRA steady is fine.

Given that you've already done intervals prior, why would you feel compelled to add more "more" to the commute part?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All volume is beneficial, even z1, provided you're getting the intensity sessions in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any time I can ride my bike to work instead of driving, it is beneficial to my enjoyment of life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I work 30 miles away from my house. Two times a week I will do intervals on trainerroad then hop on the bike and ride the hour and a half to work. Generally, I can easily average around 60% of my FTP on the way to work and around 50-55% on the way back without it impacting my runs/swims. My question is: is there benefit? I know "zone 2" is generally above 60%, but it takes me a lot of mental effort to hold 200+ watts for an additional 6+ hours a week. Suck it up?

Unless you are doing RAAM or Paris Brest Paris.... NEVER EVER ride 50% FTP.

This is rule number 1 on ST. you could get your $0 subscription to this place revoked for even typing 50% and FTP in the same sentence. Now if your name is Petr Sagan, you're allowed to do whatever you want to do....but even Cam Wurf is not permitted to ride at 50% FTP!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 50-55% FTP for long commute - beneficial? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
cloy wrote:

This is rule number 1 on ST. you could get your $0 subscription to this place revoked for even typing 50% and FTP in the same sentence. Now if your name is Petr Sagan, you're allowed to do whatever you want to do....but even Cam Wurf is not permitted to ride at 50% FTP!!!!

Its funny, this a total non issue in cycling. The vast majority of training rides I do with my teammates at camps come in right around 50% FTP average with large portions consistently below. You could say its not the best use of time but I've ridden with some really top guys who do their endurance really easy.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: 50-55% FTP for long commute - beneficial? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
All volume is beneficial, even z1, provided you're getting the intensity sessions in.

↑ This ↑

Sean H wrote:
I'd keep them at 50-55%, or less if necessary to still hit key workouts.

I agree with Sean; better to error towards the side of "easy" to avoid potentially degrading the qualify of your High Intensity workouts. Don't worry about what side of the (completely arbitrary) Z1/Z2 boundary you're on. Relaxed miles are still miles.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take. Power. Meter. Off. Commuter. Bike. Just. Ride.

/endthread
Quote Reply
Re: 50-55% FTP for long commute - beneficial? [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
cloy wrote:

Its funny, this a total non issue in cycling. The vast majority of training rides I do with my teammates at camps come in right around 50% FTP average with large portions consistently below. You could say its not the best use of time but I've ridden with some really top guys who do their endurance really easy.

Yeah, but you guys are riding 36,000km per year (and probably Cam Wurf is, but he just does all his mileage during Ironman racing LOL).....so for sure, you and Peter Sagan can ride 20,000km out of that at 50% FTP....the rest of ST barely logging 6000km per year and spending the rest of the time on the couch or on the forum.....well 50% FTP out of the puny 6000km per year is waste of time.
Quote Reply
Re: 50-55% FTP for long commute - beneficial? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

This is rule number 1 on ST.

Dude.......this is the biggest piece of crap I've read today.

Yet the morning is still young and I've only read the news about the supreme leader of the US, the local news, the BBC online, read the financial news and skimmed 6 threads on ST so the bar is pretty low, at least for ST. There's still hope.

To the OP:
You're not going to be less fit. ride on!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 50-55% FTP for long commute - beneficial? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought he just forgot to put it in pink... but maybe not... that's ST for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I thought Dev was being tongue-in-cheek too. Oh well...

+1 to just using those miles as a steady way to 'knit' together your key sessions.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I thought he just forgot to put it in pink... but maybe not... that's ST for you.

Pink....unless you are riding less than 200 hrs per year (does that make sense)....if someone's volume is low, then make it count....if volume is high (which was the other extreme about riding RAAM) then sure. Biking is not like running....if volume is low on running, we still have to run slow if we don't have a big base until we have one.
Quote Reply