Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What would Trump's presidency be like if....
Quote | Reply
he didn't have access to a phone to post stupid shit on social media? If he was judged only on his results so far? Especially going back to the days of "it's the economy, stupid!".

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: What would Trump's presidency be like if.... [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it goes to who you ask.
30% of the population would complain if he gave away a free, painless cure for cancer.
30% of the population would be OK if he ate a live baby on TV.
40% decide the election.
It's this way with every President.

To me the question is going to be Trump Fatigue. Beyond having to listen to his sh&t, he would easily win reelection based on the state of affairs. But we have to listen to his nonsense. That causes Trump Fatigue.
Now add the overt hatred no matter what he says/does and that adds to the Trump Fatigue. Generally speaking, Americans don't reward cry-babies, so we'll see if the 40% take this into account.

Without his self-imposed fatigue, he would have a pretty high approval rating.

My prediction is if the Democrats can nominate a likable 50-60 year old, non crazy person, they would win. But it seams like that the current primary playbook is to play to the 30% that would hate him no matter what. I don't think this will be enough even with Trump's self imposed fatigue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He could be in worse shape. His tweets control the new cycle, so there is less of a focus on all the corruption.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see...

Tax cuts disproportionately going to the richest Americans that will phase out.
Tax cuts for corporations that will never phase out.
Starting a trade war with China. I suppose he ran on this.
No meaningful progress on healthcare.
No progress on climate change/holding on to coal as a viable energy source.
No progress on nuclear energy.
Record military spending.
No issue with Russian interference in our elections.
Horrible appointments to the supreme Court.

I'd consider it a pretty huge disaster. On par with George w bush, no. Luckily he hasn't started any actual wars. So definitely second worst president of the past 50 years. W bush still the worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
he didn't have access to a phone to post stupid shit on social media? If he was judged only on his results so far? Especially going back to the days of "it's the economy, stupid!".

Would there still be babies in cages, some of whom will never, ever see their parents again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well there’d be a lot less evidence that he’s a narcissistic man-child, but still that comes through in most of his speeches and interviews too.
Quote Reply
Re: What would Trump's presidency be like if.... [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: ironmayb: Jul 16, 19 14:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, 10 posts into a TSD thread and I actually agree with most of what has been posted.

Well except for Jacob's this: "Horrible appointments to the supreme Court. " \\

Umm, this (Hillary's awfulness aside) was what got him elected. I'll give him this, he has (mostly) kept the promises he made to his base. Problem being he mostly b/c he threaded a path to the WH that I don't know can be duplicated. 77,000 across three states, that under performed Obama by almost 600,000. Math is not kind to Trump/Repubs moving forward.

Unless the Dems do something really stupid. Which they appear to be trying to do.

It is way early in the cycle. If I'm the Gov of a purple state with a 4-6 year record of growth (almost impossible to not do over last 10 years), I'm looking at the field and thinking about DNC support + mainstream. There are 3-4 Gov's that fit that bill, none of which are running. Yet.

Biden hasn't yet completely blown it. Warren is un-electable. Sanders had his Icarus moment.

And if the Dems don't win in '20, beating Haley in '24 is going to be really, really hard (though economics 5 years out are a grey mist that makes likeability fuzzy).

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: What would Trump's presidency be like if.... [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: What would Trump's presidency be like if.... [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:
Let's see...

I'd consider it a pretty huge disaster. On par with George w bush, no. Luckily he hasn't started any actual wars. So definitely second worst president of the past 50 years. W bush still the worst.

So in a 50-year period, your list goes W and then Trump as the worst. This is a 50-year period that includes Carter and Nixon?
Quote Reply
Re: What would Trump's presidency be like if.... [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
Let's see...

So in a 50-year period, your list goes W and then Trump as the worst. This is a 50-year period that includes Carter and Nixon?

Sorry, you are also wrong.

A 50 year period that includes Ford.
Quote Reply