Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mark Sanford mulling primary challenge to Trump [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
I think someone like Nikki Haley could take the party's nomination and have a good chance in the general election- especially against Biden.

She's been coy on Trump -calls him out selectively and infrequently, but has put enough distance from him to make herself not one of his team- and might be the only person to be able to get elected after working in the Trump Administration.

She checks a bunch of my boxes. I like that she was a governor and has some experience in the executive branch dealing with a legislative branch. A little light on national security and foreign policy- her couple of years as US Ambassador the UN are a good start, but she needs some additional help from the right running mate or the right National Security team.

Here is why she doesn't run now: no upside.

Brutal battle with Trump weakens her in the general. If she wins both battles (and I think she would, fairly easily as the Dems have yet to put anyone with her CV up) she is faced with a VERY divided base & split congress. And in the face of a must-come-soon recession. She loses to Trump in primaries & Trump loses general she is blamed for loss (see G. Ford). She wins & 1/5 - 1/4 of Trumps voters will simply not vote for her. Problem with Repub math is it used to be win FL or OH and R's win. That time is past. Too many traditionally blue states that went against HC (worst candidate ever) but too many reds now purple, and the math is turning way against the traditional R candidate....and Trump has severely worsened the brand with an entire generation.

She is young. 4 years of raking in $$ (personally)/building allegiances/bidding her time....there is no downside, outside of time. A (minor) recession is coming....though global macro matters could make it marginally worse + prolong it. Trump has to run the table, again, which against a main-stream Dem/centrist would not happen. But the Dems seem intent on harri karri. Bloomberg, wisely, has apparently decided to sit out the shit-show '20 is going to be.

Lots of moving pieces.

'20 is going to be interesting.

I can't wait for it to be over.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Sanford mulling primary challenge to Trump [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
jmh wrote:
I think someone like Nikki Haley could take the party's nomination and have a good chance in the general election- especially against Biden.

She's been coy on Trump -calls him out selectively and infrequently, but has put enough distance from him to make herself not one of his team- and might be the only person to be able to get elected after working in the Trump Administration.

She checks a bunch of my boxes. I like that she was a governor and has some experience in the executive branch dealing with a legislative branch. A little light on national security and foreign policy- her couple of years as US Ambassador the UN are a good start, but she needs some additional help from the right running mate or the right National Security team.

I agree and wish she would run. However, who in their right mind would challenge Trump now, get bogged down in the infantile mud-slinging that would inevitably occur, instead of waiting 4 more years and not having to deal trying to take away his rabid base?

exactly my thoughts
No one has a prayer of running against Trump. First of all I dont see anyone out of politics other than Trump , that would be willing sacrifice everything be president. Both parties are doing there best to scare anyone not in the club to run. And although many on here completely fall for some milktoast like a kasich or a romney, the rest of reality doesn't.
Besides... why should someone else run? Who here thinks that the idiotic claimes of ( add your favorite 'ism here)
wont be lobbed against anyone that is running agaist the left?
Remember that racist pos John Mcain? How about that sexist murderer Mit Romney? Yea....
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Sanford mulling primary challenge to Trump [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
jmh wrote:

I agree and wish she would run. However, who in their right mind would challenge Trump now, get bogged down in the infantile mud-slinging that would inevitably occur, instead of waiting 4 more years and not having to deal trying to take away his rabid base?

I keep hoping that Trump would resign, Haley becomes vice president, and then she runs.

Because if you wait, you end up having to suck up to him in some of the worst ways possible in order to get an endorsement from him and get his cult to follow you now instead of him.
Quote Reply

Prev Next