Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Waxing a car
Quote | Reply
Am I using too much wax on my car. Have a Ford Explorer.

Using a random orbital waxer with a 7 or 8" bottom. Usually will squirt an X pattern on one buffer pad (on the bottom of the orbital waxer) and use that to wax the car. Will add wax as it seems there isn't any more getting on the car. I end up using 4-6 clean buff pads to get all the wax off. As a pad starts to load up with wax I'll swap it out. I believe the pads are Terry Cloth.
Is this about the amount of pads I should be using or am I putting too much wax on the car?
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing a car [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try washing your car like this;

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing a car [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wax on

Wax off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking, I don't think I've ever waxed a car.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing a car [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Me neither.

And if I did, I don't think I'd ever bother waxing a Ford explorer (no offense to the OP).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wax your car by hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing a car [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Me neither.

And if I did, I don't think I'd ever bother waxing a Ford explorer (no offense to the OP).

The latest generation of Explorer is actually quite nice. In reality, a far better option than most of the comparable German SUVs, and Toyota SUVs, which are massively over hyped/priced.

To the OP: I've only ever applied a coat of wax and then buffed it off once dry. Never done it the way you're suggesting. I feel like JSA might have a good answer to this query.
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing a car [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Me neither.

Yeah, neither has the previous owner(s) of this car:

I agree with the post it's better to wax by hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your favorite method to get all the hard to reach places?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing a car [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to reach spots I do by hand. I can get about 85% of it with the buffer. Sometimes I don't even go for the hard spots. Just try to get the big areas, hood, sides, some flat spots on the rear. Only wax 2-3 times a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Hard to reach spots I do by hand. I can get about 85% of it with the buffer. Sometimes I don't even go for the hard spots. Just try to get the big areas, hood, sides, some flat spots on the rear. Only wax 2-3 times a year.

How do you get her to stand still while you use the buffer on her?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

Do you have the swirl scratches? Back when I did such things myself, I always detailed my cars by hand and never waxed in a round motion. Instead, my motion was always straight, with the line of the component I was waxing. I enjoyed the process, and my zero-swirl black cars shined like a black mirror for an afternoon.

Now I have a truck and IDGAF. She gets washed once a month.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing a car [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

I hadn't either until I bought a white car and saw little tiny flakes of rust on the surface. It's "fallout" - tiny bits of metal from brakes, the atmosphere, etc. that land on your car and rust. They buff right out, but I only do it once a year.

Other than that, just my motorcycle which was equal parts to protect it and also recreation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing a car [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or get yourself a teen karate kid learner.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing a car [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:

Now I have a truck and IDGAF. She gets washed once a month.

Ha, I looked at my truck today and realized I haven't washed her in possibly a year. Theres still mud stains from the mudding I did in March. It's fun to get out of my dirty red truck at the courthouse in my suit and tie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a lot of pads. I use these types of pads to wax a boat and have good luck with them.

https://shurhold.com/...ducts/pro-polish-pad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Are you letting the wax dry completely before buffing it off? Shouldn't take that many to buff off if you are letting it properly dry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to give my car a Brazilian Wax by leaving a patch of dirt right up the middle of the hood.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never heard of such a thing as too much wax.

Been using Adams polishes and care care products, car is 13 years old and looks good as new.
https://m.youtube.com/...Adamspolishes/videos
Quote Reply