Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!!
Quote | Reply
...now I'm SOMEBODY!

Anyhow after reading through the comments on the books by genre thread I saw a few really good suggestions. For some background I'm awesome at buying books but terrible at actually reading them..a genius idea dawned upon me - get a library card!

Had the day off yesterday to go fishing with a buddy but that fell apart the night prior. Kept the day off and had one of the most relaxing days I've had in a long time (long trail run, sauna, ice bath, stretching, acupressure mat, spun a bunch of vinyl, and the LIBRARY). Dedicated a few hours to reading. It was pretty great. Started with Man's Search for Meaning by Frankl (tip of the hat to Midwestroadie and a few others who mentioned this one).

First library card I have had since...I don't even know.

There should be a point to this post I suppose - support/visit your local library sounds like a good one?

Another good point to tie to this post is the importance of just taking a day off to do things that relax you. Can't recall the last time I spent a day like that but will be making it a point to do one every few months or so. Feeling mentally and physically refreshed is pretty great.
Quote Reply
Re: THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!! [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
...now I'm SOMEBODY!
Sadly, too many people won't get your subject line or this quote.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!! [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
...now I'm SOMEBODY!

Be careful not to hide behind the cans.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!! [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
...now I'm SOMEBODY!

HE HATES THESE CANS!!
Quote Reply
Re: THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!! [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you!! When books cost between $5-$15 its much cheaper just go to the library. I have co-workers who read between 3-5 books a month on their kindles but then say how much they spend it sounds crazy when they are free at the library.

Sure you may read the hottest/latest NY times bestseller about 6-12 months behind everyone but you'll still read it.

My local library offers cool features such as downloadable ebooks, online book holds, online reservations (they will hold the book up front for you to pickup), and a book mobile that will drive to different locations to deliver/pickup books.

I'm in luck because it is walking distance from my work, so I can go over lunch to get a new book or return a book. I probably have 20 books checked out right now, two for me, 18 for the kids.
Quote Reply
Re: THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!! [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't remember when the last time I bought a book was. I just use the library. I don't know if other states have it but in Maine there is a statewide catalog so I can interlibrary loan most anything despite only having a small but nice local library to use.

Only short-coming is more obscure or very recent books are typically not available.
Quote Reply
Re: THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!! [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Good for you!! When books cost between $5-$15 its much cheaper just go to the library. I have co-workers who read between 3-5 books a month on their kindles but then say how much they spend it sounds crazy when they are free at the library.

Sure you may read the hottest/latest NY times bestseller about 6-12 months behind everyone but you'll still read it.

My local library offers cool features such as downloadable ebooks, online book holds, online reservations (they will hold the book up front for you to pickup), and a book mobile that will drive to different locations to deliver/pickup books.

I'm in luck because it is walking distance from my work, so I can go over lunch to get a new book or return a book. I probably have 20 books checked out right now, two for me, 18 for the kids.

Our library has a digital lending division. You download the books to your device and keep them for two weeks just like a book. I prefer to read on a device. The backlighting seems to work better for my eyes. Reading an actual book makes me sleepy.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!! [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read on a Kindle e-reader, and I get books from the library digitally and also through a Kindle Unlimited subscription. I really like being able to try a book and then stop reading if I don't like it. Previously I would spend $10 - $20 on a book and wouldn't want to read another book until I finished. This usually meant I would read less and less. Now I can drop books in the middle and not worry about it.
Quote Reply
Re: THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!! [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
...now I'm SOMEBODY!

But will he have enough time to read after he gets that second job?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
...now I'm SOMEBODY!

HE HATES THESE CANS!!

Cat juggling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

Yeah man..I'm way more excited about this than I probably should be. Just learned that I can put books on hold online for a drive by/counter pick up. Looking forward to saving some money. Also I'm in a smaller town in Idaho nowadays. Super easy to get in/out.

Ironically I'll probably actually read these "free" books.

Looking forward to sitting the kiddo down at least 1x a week to get him to put a book or two on hold as well.
Quote Reply
Re: THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!! [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
...now I'm SOMEBODY!

HE HATES THESE CANS!!

Cat juggling!

I damn thee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you really check out all the services your library system provides. Just some of the services from my library system:
InterLibrary loans - they will get obscure books from other systems throughout the country,
Digital book downloads - available on many formats,
Dvd's - latest releases if movies and TV shows,
CDs - some I us still listen to music that way,
Computer services - various programs,
WiFi Hotspot loans - can get an unlimited data hotspot for 7 day loan (have used these tons),
Children and Adults Programs - reading clubs etc

All the above is "free at the library" - you've paid the local taxes that pay for this already so you might as well use the services.

Libraries are great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kids are voracious readers and we hit the library every week or two. According to the library, I have saved $4,500 so far in 2019 by using the library compared to buying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should look to get on lists for the digital rentals. Like you can download books to read on your ereader.

Also most libraries have a decent dvd collextion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

Huh? Kindle unlimited is $9.99/mo. Unlimited books at one flat monthly fee.

Amazon Prime Unlimited is $120/yr.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE...THE NEW LIBRARY CARD IS HERE!!! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on what you're reading. If it's material not carried on Amazon Unlimited you'd still need to purchase & that could be where it gets costly. It wasn't worth the $10/month for me when I looked into it, but I went back to paper books anyway for the tactile feel, ease of note-taking, and scent of the paper & mostly purchase used these days so that keeps costs low enough as it is.

JSA wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:

Huh? Kindle unlimited is $9.99/mo. Unlimited books at one flat monthly fee.

Amazon Prime Unlimited is $120/yr.
Quote Reply