Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What have others done? - Mad Calf attack
Quote | Reply
I'll try and keep this short.

I've read lots on the subject of ''mad calf attacks'' - background
Came into Triathlon five years ago - runner all my life - ran 2:40 marathon - Comrades in under 7:30 back in the day. Never had a running injury in my life - now 59.
Typical week's training - 4 x cycling (two 2 hours rides/two1 hour) - run 2/3 times 30/40 mins - swim - 4 times a week - only aiming at sprints.

Here lies the problem.
No pain in the calf area when I cycle/swim. Stand alone runs fine.
Last two sprints have ended in me hobbling to the finnish line - approx 1.5 miles into the 5km my right calf spasms to a point where I am unable to run. In the following days it easies then kind of goes away.

I have had the following treatments following race:
Graston - immediate relief (painful but works)
dry needling - also helps

On a daily basis - I roll with a lacrosse ball , foam roller, stim machine etc

I've also tried - calf sleeves (does not seem to make any difference - pickle juice not the magic bullet I had hoped for).

I'm now stuck do I just give up running and stick to cycling?

I would appreciate any feedback on what others who have had this issue have done.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: What have others done? - Mad Calf attack [AXELLE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem, but only in races. Still happens sometimes , usually in the start of the run and then it slowly goes away. The days after were very painful.
I guess it only happened in races because i overbiked.

https://acprestation.se/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just thinking logically here as much as possible.
It appears that running preceded by cycling is what is the main risk factor for your calf spasms. That would suggest that something related to the bike leg is the main precipitant for this happening and where I would be focused on trying to change things to stop it from happening.
Things that come to mind immediately would be related to your bike fit/position and whether this can be optimised. Given it occurs on just one side it be be interesting to see if there are any mechanical issues on the bike that potentially contribute. It does not sound like it is something related to nutrition/hydration given what you have tried, especially if it is occurring just in a sprint race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get it as well as you can, then get some Hoka's, the new Bondi would be a good start..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would start by backing off the bike or at least try riding a higher cadence and see how goes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often do you run directly after biking during training? I used to have this problem crop up, but only during sprint tris at max effort, and I started working on doing some running, even if only 5 minutes, after every bike session.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
This kind of spasm can often be neural in origin.
There are a few things I see in clinic which could be the possible cause.
1. Hyperextension at the spine in the swim, particularly in a wetsuit. Maybe not the cause is your case, but I’ve seen it irritate the nerve roots or appear to and cause cramps on the run.

2. Bike position. In the opposite to above TT position with excessive flexion in the lower back, often causing a kink appearance when viewed from the side, can cause a mild disc herneation and nerve irritation.

3. Worn cleats, particularly shimano yellows and speedplay. Causing a lateral rock which seems to annoy the calf somewhat! Coupled with a cleat position that is set forward and it’s a recipe for neural irritation.

How do I treat? Depends on the cause, but often neural flossing works well, coupled with greater lower back strength, hex bar deadlifts etc.
Quote Reply