Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2 HIM's in 2 Weeks...Bad Idea?
Quote | Reply
I just finished Muncie 70.3 on Saturday and outside of some lactic acid related soreness, I still feel pretty fresh (Male 55 - 59). I had the idea today that perhaps I should sign up for Ohio 70.3, which is on 7/28. I am already planning on Tawas 70.3 in early Sept but thought now that I feel good, why wait until Sept if I feel like I could be ready for another one in 2 weeks. I wasn't sure if others felt that was a bad idea and if so, why.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 HIM's in 2 Weeks...Bad Idea? [tojunialto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not? If you've trained and feel good, let it rip.

I did two full Ironman races eight days a part and was fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is an excellent idea. If you feel good, race again and enjoy the day!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just keep the body moving between them and go for the second race.

Race when things are going well, the body is responding positively, and the desire is there! And sounds like it is so yeah, go race and have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tojunialto wrote:
I just finished Muncie 70.3 on Saturday and outside of some lactic acid related soreness, I still feel pretty fresh (Male 55 - 59). I had the idea today that perhaps I should sign up for Ohio 70.3, which is on 7/28. I am already planning on Tawas 70.3 in early Sept but thought now that I feel good, why wait until Sept if I feel like I could be ready for another one in 2 weeks. I wasn't sure if others felt that was a bad idea and if so, why.

I did this last year-IMLP 70.3>IM AC 70.3 two weeks later.

Would suggest that even if you 'feel pretty fresh', you should do cycling first, very easy, then add back some short swims and try to do a very short (~1/2 hr run) late in the first week and then only a few short runs during race week for race 2. I did a total of 3 swims-(each ~40 min)/4 bikes (30/60/60/30min) and 3 runs (each ~30min) between the two races.

The fitness is already there and you do not want to risk injury but need to help recover the muscles faster. I PR'd both races, but the second one got me to 70.3 worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tojunialto wrote:
I am already planning on Tawas 70.3 in early Sept

If you're talking about Sunrise Side put on by 3Diciplines, they killed the 70.3.

[url wrote:
http://3disciplines.com/event/?x=28&y=1[/url]]
With a heavy heart, the popular, long standing Half distance event on one of the countries best half bike courses has been deleted.

Since you're a midwesterner and depending on how close to Indy you are, there's also Tri-Indy for an Oly next weekend if you want something cheaper and shorter than another IM 70.3.
Last edited by: mgreer: Jul 16, 19 5:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tojunialto wrote:

If you feel good enough, go for it. It will be an interesting fitness test to see if your body bounces back well! Take it a little easy this week. Put in a decent ride and run this weekend, throw in some race-pace pickups midweek next week, and get ready for the next show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you feel good and want to race, then race. If you think you can do it, you will. If you think you can't, you won't. Either way you'll be right. Just finished up racing in three IM 70.3 over three consecutive weekends. I'm 60. Another guy in the 50-54 age group did the same though he started a week after I did and went a week longer. And third guy in his 60's did two of them 14 days apart. If trained up right, you can hold a peak of about six weeks which puts your Tawas race right on the edge depending if you did Muncie at the start of your peak week or just outside of it.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tactics2faster-new
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another person here who has done it (in fact, three times) Challenge Melbourne/Geelong70.3 double (back when you could have 2 races on following Sundays)

Massage and stretching between, maybe some shorter sessions in between as well.

Mostly, just stick a smile on your face and go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried it last year. a hard 70.3 that I bonked in, then xterra Ogden the next week. It was not fun, no power no speed everything was painful, really made me dread my next race which, back door brag was Maui xterra. Haha but really I was 9th age in xterra ogden nothing special and it was rough.... went into Maui dreading that pain, but i had fresh legs and it was soo much fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It kind of depends on how you respond to lots of racing. I find racing (especially the travel/logistics aspects) very stressful in a way that is not conducive to piling on more fitness, even smaller events. So if it were me, I'd rather just have 2 races and get a proper build block between the two and really bring my A-game to both races, rather than risk showing up to the 3rd mentally burned out.
Quote Reply