Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [altissimotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altissimotri wrote:
wintershade wrote:
While I agree IM is probably not healthy (on you body, mind, or relationships), finishing your first is a truly special life experience -- especially if you get lucky and have a good day (weather, nutrition, performance, etc.). You can say all you want about the power of Ironman's marking machine, etc. but there is a reason (having something to do with the experience itself, I surmise) that people eagerly tattoo a brand's logo onto their bodies.

Maybe consider raising money for charity (setting a high goal, maybe $5K?) and be open that you are going to use $1K of the proceeds to fund your entry fee?

I've never met someone who regretted doing the 1st Ironman. The Nth Ironman, is another story.... Just keep it in check and keep your real priorities front and center. It's easy to get sucked down the Ironman lifestyle rat hole, and the cost of that is more than financial.... but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I agree with this dude. I've been doing tris for about 8 years now and this is the first year where I probably won't get to do at least 1 triathlon. I did several Olympics and Sprints, about 25 70.3 races and 1 full Ironman. As I got older and had 2 kids, my time to train became less and less and I started to suck out there on the race course. I think I've just about run my course this time around, but I hope to get back into triathlon at a later date when life doesn't demand so much time and energy that I would have used for training. To fill the void, I'm sticking to just running and I've re-discovered my jazz saxophone chops from my college days....much easier to manage with 2 little ones at home where I am a heavily involved Dad. I miss tri, but I got to the point where I wasn't motivated to invest the time to properly train for my favorite distance (70.3). I definitely don't regret any of it and I'm really, really glad I did the single 140.6 on my resume as it was an incredible life experience! I've also been volunteering at races as a way to give back to the hobby and I've had just as much fun watching everyone else suffer when I don't have to.

I continue to get slower as well. It’s ok. I realize that you can’t fit everything into a day. I tried early on when my kids were born. It just doesn’t work. I ride my bike when I can and I stay active enough to do the races. More importantly, I want my kids to see me being active and not a lazy old guy watching tv. I was slow, but I managed to finish the Door County half Ironman this weekend and I am continuing to train for a full Ironman in Italy. The kids did the triathlon on Saturday. It was a great experience for them. I have taken them on runs with me and they surprised me with a 5.4 mile cross country run a few weeks ago. Damn impressive for two 10 year olds.

I think you have to look at it from a different perspective when having kids. The money could be spent on a camping weekend, or a water park. Why not a family triathlon weekend? My kids were so excited and screamed so loud in transition for their slow Dad. Good times.
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
I would blow much more money on drinking and eating out and other crap if I wasn't doing triathlon.

Compare it to golf.

Riding a bike is hardly free. You have to amortize that cost across all the house your spent on it. I ride a $4000 bike, so if I never have to do any sort of maintenance and only ride the bike I bought out of the box, it'll take 4000 hours to be $1 an hour. 400 hours for $10 an hour. So nearly a year of an hour a day to be $10 an hour. But then I'd go through some chains, cogs, the price to get it fit, anything that brakes, tubes, tires, head unit, power meter, etc. I've been tracking everything like that on my bike and all in after 16 months of ownership I'm at $19 an hour. That does not include clothing, which would be even more. Hardly free.

I also golf, and since you brought up that analogy let's play that out. My irons were 700, woods added another 600, putter was 200 and wedges were 200. Bag was 150. So that's 1850. That will last me about 10 years, though I have to regrip every year so add another 100 a year. So that's 2850, or 285 a year. I play about 50 rounds a year, and require 12 dozen balls so 500 a year there, and maybe another 100 a year for gloves. So we're taking 900 bucks a year for equipment. And each round costs me 50 bucks. So 2500 in rounds. That's $3400 for my total cost (again, clothing not counted) and I get ~200 hours of fun out of it. Or....$17 bucks an hour. Pretty close to biking.

But maybe I should exclude greens fees since you excluded race fees and just count my range expenses (ie, practice to practice)?[/quote]
Thanks for the analysis of bike vs golf. I now know that I can take up golf when I'm done cycling.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, run. I mean run away from this sport as fast as you can.

It doesn't even seem to be a matter of "falling out of love", but rather "continues". I think you are trying to find some reason to grind it out... Don't do it... Run away, sell your bike, and don't even look back.

Life's too short. Do what you enjoy.

boobooaboo wrote:
Tri continues to be boring
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 21, 19 4:17
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think triathlon is that expensive. Then again, I tend to run on the same equipment for years (I prefer the tried-and-true vs. a new gadget every month) and I don't do Ironman.

Local races are usually about $75 to $100 to get in to. About the same price I would pay for a nice dinner out.

I have a vision someday, when I don't have to work as much, of cruising around the country doing destination races. Plan would be to get a small SUV, one of those roof top tents (like these) to save money on hotels, and knock out a shorter race each weekend, maybe with an HIM to cap it all off. Someday.......
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started my triathlon racing a little backwards by doing a 70.3 first. I just did my first sprint yesterday after 7 years of racing and it was such a great change of pace. Every passing year I feel more and more compelled to continue to support local races. Next year I'm aiming for every Without Limits race in September in Colorado. The best part is that the total cost of all of those races will cost less than a single half-ironman. Local races are usually quite affordable and provide a great race experience, you just may have to sacrifice finishers medals and a backpack that you'll probably never use.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [Lindenin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you think about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle triathlon is darn right cheap. Yes you can maintain health by diet, walking, running, cycling, or swimming, but triathlon puts all these together in a great package. I’m even having second thoughts about IM branded races. Thinking I would rather pay a little more to race on a weekend then to sit out on an opportunity to race. If I get tier 1 pricing a half is $250 that’s not bad for what you get. After doing this for years the continuation costs are very low, and most of the new stuff I buy is really not essential (crap, my wife is right)!
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
palmtrees wrote:
As a young person about to do their first ironman (and truly addicted to the sport at this distance), what are the drains on life you guys are talking about?

There are a fair number of good threads here about this topic. Here is one I started some time ago, which has lots of useful advice. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...over%20life#p6860726

Basically, racing Ironman competitively generally consumes something like 15-20 hrs week of training time, many additional hours on related activities which can add up in a hurry (researching gear/races/etc., maintaining bikes, "slowtwitching" as my wife calls it) and it's among the more expensive hobbies one could take up (cheaper than sailing and race car driving, but more expensive than running or pick-up basketball). As you get older, you will have more demands on your time and/or people who'd like to think it's their right to exercise control over your spending, which can lead to obvious problems.

But for now, enjoy the freedom young grasshopper!

Staying single avoids these issues, generally speaking. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
I would blow much more money on drinking and eating out and other crap if I wasn't doing triathlon.

Compare it to golf.

Riding a bike is hardly free. You have to amortize that cost across all the house your spent on it. I ride a $4000 bike, so if I never have to do any sort of maintenance and only ride the bike I bought out of the box, it'll take 4000 hours to be $1 an hour. 400 hours for $10 an hour. So nearly a year of an hour a day to be $10 an hour. But then I'd go through some chains, cogs, the price to get it fit, anything that brakes, tubes, tires, head unit, power meter, etc. I've been tracking everything like that on my bike and all in after 16 months of ownership I'm at $19 an hour. That does not include clothing, which would be even more. Hardly free.

I also golf, and since you brought up that analogy let's play that out. My irons were 700, woods added another 600, putter was 200 and wedges were 200. Bag was 150. So that's 1850. That will last me about 10 years, though I have to regrip every year so add another 100 a year. So that's 2850, or 285 a year. I play about 50 rounds a year, and require 12 dozen balls so 500 a year there, and maybe another 100 a year for gloves. So we're taking 900 bucks a year for equipment. And each round costs me 50 bucks. So 2500 in rounds. That's $3400 for my total cost (again, clothing not counted) and I get ~200 hours of fun out of it. Or....$17 bucks an hour. Pretty close to biking.

But maybe I should exclude greens fees since you excluded race fees and just count my range expenses (ie, practice to practice)?

Thanks for the analysis of bike vs golf. I now know that I can take up golf when I'm done cycling.[/quote]
2500 rounds takes 200 hours?
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
marklemcd wrote:

Compare it to golf.

But maybe I should exclude greens fees since you excluded race fees and just count my range expenses (ie, practice to practice)?

Thanks for the analysis of bike vs golf. I now know that I can take up golf when I'm done cycling.[/quote]
Riding a bike is hardly free, but the cost of riding your bike can be offset by the saving because you don't need to take public transport, or worse, drive your car to work, and the associated time saving compared to taking a bus as well. The public transport really add up if you are spending nearly $1 for a 2-minute ride on the bus.
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

You conveniently amortized the cost of the clubs over 10 years, while amortizing the cost of the bike in a single year, and then didn't factor in the residual value of the equipment. No wonder golf looks cheaper! So let's look forward another year and see what it looks like. 400 hours of biking is something like 7-8k miles? What kind of consumables and maintenance are you going to go through on that? Let's call it 2 sets of tires, 4 sets of tubes, a big chainwheel, a cogset, a chain, a set of brake pads, a set of cables, a bottom bracket, and a couple of wheel truings. Even if you have a shop do all the labor besides tires, that's maybe $1000. So $2.50/hour. Year 2 of golf is the same $17/hour.

Start with a $2000 new bike instead of a $4000 new bike, and your knock $5/hour off your first year. Or buy a $4000 bike used for $2000 at the beginning of the year, then sell it for $1500 at the end, and your $/hour for the bike is $1.25/hour every year instead of $10/hour for the first year. You can save money on golf with used equipment, but not to the same degree, as the biggest expense is greens fees.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Sep 24, 19 4:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
The cost was one of the factors that scared me off of triathlons. I'd lurk on slowtwitch and see threads on paying $300 to have someone tell you how high to put your seatpost, or which of your many $7000 bikes would you choose for a hilly course on an overcast day, and the like.

But then I literally ran into a triathlon last summer. During a long run, I went through the bike leg of a triathlon and the run leg ran an out-and-back on the same trail I was running and I encountered most of the field at some point. There were frumpy ladies on hybrid bikes and fat guys on WalMart bikes. I thought "I can do that".

Still there's a lot of sticker shock as I looked into triathlon: the bikes first of all, but also bike computers, and power meters, and indoor trainers, all of which I didn't know existed 3 months ago, and other stuff... Plus entry fees and travel to races. It does seem like triathletes spend A LOT of money.

I'm coming from the ultrarunning world where all you need is a $70 pair of shoes a couple times a year.

I'm actually surprised to see people balk at race fees. From an outsider's viewpoint, those entry fees seem small compared to everything else.

But I registered for the same sprint triathlon I ran into last summer. The entry fee was $60. I've paid more for ultras that frankly had very little infrastructure. I've also done ultras for free that had great support and lots of food.

Anyway, the entry point if you don't want to keep up with the Joneses isn't that high. I'll be riding my rusty 1977 touring bike and won't have a wetsuit or an official triathlon leotard thing or biking shoes. But neither will some others. Looking at the photos from last year's race, quite a few did have aero bikes and special triathlon stuff, but quite a few didn't.

Just being involved doesn't seem that expensive.

Likewise, the time commitment is whatever you make it. If you want to be competitive, it'll take a lot of time, but so does just about any other sport.

I love your post. Totally agree.

boobooaboo wrote:
I ride MTB primarily now (Utah). Though I spend plenty of time falling off of it and hurting myself.

As to the poster who asked about training - focusing on a goal can end up shoehorning you into a certain type of training. The hill repeat I was doing for RB400 were max effort - HR up around 190 type of thing. A few times a week.

Point is...my imagination needs a kick in the pants sometimes! That’s where my original post comes from I suppose.

I know many MTB'ers who find anything but MTB, and general outdoors/mountain related sports, boring.
To each his their own.
A few of them tried X-Terra triathlons, to stay close to their preffered sports, I guess :-)...

Do you feel a need to enter a 140.6 distance "classic" triathlon ? If so, then yes, there will be for sure some parts of the training you will not be ecstatic about. You don't have to follow other's path on triahtlon training.
Tell us about your love and passion for running, we didn't read about that one yet... ;-).

Louis :)
Last edited by: louisn: Sep 24, 19 5:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any sport/hobby a person does has costs, and there are much bigger costs for some sports/hobbies than long course triathlons.

I have friends who race motorcycles and cars as a hobby. Like three Porsche cars in the driveway and another being worked on in the garage. Consider the cost of parts, tires, tools, fuel, etc. The need for a trailer to carry a car (or two) to the track, the hotel and restaurant costs, track fees, etc.

I have other friends who fish on the ocean. The reels, boat rentals, travel costs add up quickly.

Other friends who scuba dive. Similar costs to deep sea fishing.

In my case I compete in triathlon, including long course races because I love the feeling of walking into the race location, the race expo. The energy of the competitors all bringing their bikes to transition. The excitement waking up on race day. The satisfaction of completing a leg within a goal time. The crowd cheering on complete strangers as they start the run.

A long course race is the punctuation of a 2-3 year training cycle, followed by a new cycle with different goals, training locations and focus. Life will give you those changes. For me, my next long course triathlon will be flipping the bird at cancer, every swim stroke, pedal and stride a big FU to the broken cells in my body that are telling me to just lay down and die. Crossing the finishing line, for the race but also every training activity, is winning, not giving up, fighting for life, time and joy.

If you don't feel that way, find the sport/hobby that does give you the feeling. The sport/hobby that you would like to keep doing it until you are the oldest person in the game. The sport/hobby that you would do even if you had to do it after a dose of chemotherapy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
I'm not even sure IM is good for most people's health (mental or physical), plus it's expensive. I've never done anything longer than a half, and haven't done an actual tri in a few years. My main holdup on that is entry fee. This guy paid $891 just for entry into IMPC. Crazy. I'll continue to do endurance sports so that I'm fit and can randomly do FUN and CHEAP events. Tri continues to be boring and expensive in the face of events like the Birkie, Red Bull 400, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/...jByf6T6rHwqkOSJJ%3A6

youngster, i grew up as a runner first, then a nordic racer. you're right, the birkie is terrific. here was my problem: summer. so, i took up bike racing as well and then i heard about this fantastical race: the ironman. and i raced it, the first year it was ever held in kona.

it's almost 40 years later, and i'm still doing this sport, but that ironman remains the only full distance triathlon i've ever done. i raced twice this year at multisport events where the entry fee was $40. i recently entered a national triathlon championship, and the entry fee was $100. i'll be racing the bike leg on a bike that i've had for 7 years.

just the knowledge that an event like ironman exists seems to harsh the contentment some folks might otherwise find. i'll never understand that. you and i each celebrate the variety. so... let's celebrate it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can spend as little as $250 on a GOOD used single speed cross bike and race twice per event (category AND single speed races) and up to 4x per weekend at about $20 a pop if you do a series discount.
Quote Reply
Re: A continued conversation on monetary cost of IM/Tri...and boredom with Tri events. [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disagree. Ironman is mostly volunteers that receive little or no training, including the dangerous jobs like driving an automobile on the course. Chinese Ironman products have become increasingly pricier, yet lower in quality.

Rocket_racing wrote:
And big events cost big money. I don’t think anyone is getting rich overnight. Staff, insurance, medical support, etc. You get what you pay for.
Quote Reply

Prev Next