Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Well, then there’s this...007 [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a great idea...just like the female Ghost Busters movie and Oceans 8.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this must be Daniel Craig's last Bond movie. It almost piques my interest enough to see it to see how and why they bring him out of retirement.

I'm perfectly fine with agent 007 being a black woman. I think it's confused many that it's just a re-use of the agent code. The next Bond movie isn't going to have a black woman lead. NTTAWWT. It just wouldn't be a Bond movie, simply because James Bond isn't a black woman.

I predict that the next Bond movie will reboot the Bond character with a new male actor as 007. Just my guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Well, then there’s this...007 [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
softrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:
Who will be the first critic who will dare to write a negative review about a black female Bond and expose himself/herself to being called woman hating racist?

You realize James Bond is still a white guy, right?

I know that. But if we have 007 Jane Bond and it flops who will be the racists to blame? Audience? Critics? Someone gotta be guilty...

Who did they blame when the Oceans XX (I forget) movie flopped?

I haven't seen that come to cable at all. Worse than the remade Ghostbusters?

It wasn't that those movies were redone with women. It was that they were redone with women badly.

It actually wasn’t terrible, but it was pretty blatantly just a female rip off of the regular Oceans formula.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Well, then there’s this...007 [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Like many things. If the movie is a good movie most will not care. If the movie stinks, people will blame it on that.

I have no problem with 007 being a woman. It would be strange if James Bond was a women. Very similar to if Bruce Wayne was a women or Selena Kyle was a man.

They did a female secret agent movie just a couple of years ago, Atomic Blonde, starring Charlize Theron. It did ok, about $100 million in box office. In comparison, Spectre, the most recent Bond film, has north of $800 million. If we stick to a new IP however, say John Wick, that only has in the realm of $90 million.

It could work, but you have to make a decent movie and divorce the character from Bond. As I and others have said, you could easily make the next agent 00X and pick whatever number you want. You could build a 00 universe with a bunch of movies featuring different agents, and then bring them together for some spectacular Avengers style movie.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember the Bourne movies though. They were excellent... until the one with Jeremy Renner which was crap.
Quote Reply
Re: Well, then there’s this...007 [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
..and the last one - which was an even bigger pile of shite
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
j p o wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
softrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:
Who will be the first critic who will dare to write a negative review about a black female Bond and expose himself/herself to being called woman hating racist?

I know that. But if we have 007 Jane Bond and it flops who will be the racists to blame? Audience? Critics? Someone gotta be guilty...

It wasn't that those movies were redone with women. It was that they were redone with women badly.

It actually wasn’t terrible, but it was pretty blatantly just a female rip off of the regular Oceans formula.

So just like Ocean's 12 and 13 ripped off Oceans 11. And looking on the wiki's, better domestic gross and very similar critic scores on a smaller budget.

Not sure I heard an outcry when that movie was redone with men twice. Or Ghostbusters 2, wtf was that movie?

It isn't female casting that is causing the issue. It is bad remakes. Stop blaming the womins.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:
Like many things. If the movie is a good movie most will not care. If the movie stinks, people will blame it on that.

I have no problem with 007 being a woman. It would be strange if James Bond was a women. Very similar to if Bruce Wayne was a women or Selena Kyle was a man.

They did a female secret agent movie just a couple of years ago, Atomic Blonde, starring Charlize Theron. It did ok, about $100 million in box office. In comparison, Spectre, the most recent Bond film, has north of $800 million. If we stick to a new IP however, say John Wick, that only has in the realm of $90 million.

It could work, but you have to make a decent movie and divorce the character from Bond. As I and others have said, you could easily make the next agent 00X and pick whatever number you want. You could build a 00 universe with a bunch of movies featuring different agents, and then bring them together for some spectacular Avengers style movie.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I would be more likely to follow several agents of Mi6 in a set of movies, that way Bond can still be Bond, and you can have every flavor of human interest you want as an agent.

They have only once reused an agent code name and it was at the very beginning, hardly makes it "canon."

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hollywood really loves killing franchises, don't they?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Well, then there’s this...007 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Hollywood really loves killing franchises, don't they?

I have no idea what you are talking about...

Quote Reply
Re: Well, then there’s this...007 [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
j p o wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
softrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:

So just like Ocean's 12 and 13 ripped off Oceans 11. And looking on the wiki's, better domestic gross and very similar critic scores on a smaller budget.

Not sure I heard an outcry when that movie was redone with men twice. Or Ghostbusters 2, wtf was that movie?

It isn't female casting that is causing the issue. It is bad remakes. Stop blaming the womins.

Well, there’s a difference, even if only conceptually, between a sequel to a successful movie with the same people, and “reimagining” a movie with an entirely different cast, especially going from a group of men to a group of women.

The main problem being, sometimes the desire to have an all woman cast, or to cast minorities, comes at the expense of making a movie with good acting or plot. Sometimes that’s true with sequels too, but ideologically, it’s different.

The all female Ghostbusters was bad because the writing was shitty, and the women were not entertaining in their roles. It just adds insult to injury that people know the only reason that crap movie got made was to prove some sort of point about having funny women being just as good as funny men.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
j p o wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
softrun wrote:
windywave wrote:
softrun wrote:

Well, there’s a difference, even if only conceptually, between a sequel to a successful movie with the same people, and “reimagining” a movie with an entirely different cast, especially going from a group of men to a group of women.

The main problem being, sometimes the desire to have an all woman cast, or to cast minorities, comes at the expense of making a movie with good acting or plot. Sometimes that’s true with sequels too, but ideologically, it’s different.

The all female Ghostbusters was bad because the writing was shitty, and the women were not entertaining in their roles. It just adds insult to injury that people know the only reason that crap movie got made was to prove some sort of point about having funny women being just as good as funny men.

That part I can definitely agree with. I think I'd feel different about a female 007 than Ocean's or Ghostbusters. It would still be in the flow of the series. For the other two they came back many years later with no talk about the movies in the decade or two between movies and decided to trade on the name just to get a female-centric movie.

But if the writing, directing, and producing of any of those was top notch no one would be bitching. It wouldn't detract at all from the movie if it was good, but I agree, it does amplify it when it sucks.

It shows they were just riding a current trend to make a buck, not tell a story. I'm not sure Jar Jar is any less offensive if Darth is a woman though. So I'm back to it being the fact the movie sucked more than it being women.

How about they just stop shitting on previously good movies?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Well, then there’s this...007 [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
I predict that the next Bond movie will reboot the Bond character with a new male actor as 007. Just my guess.
I agree. They tossed the SJW's a bone. I think it's all smoke and mirrors and the next Bond movie is a complete reboot.
Quote Reply
Re: Well, then there’s this...007 [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a problem with a woman being 007, but then it's not a James Bond movie. Like the Creed movies, Rocky is in them, but to me, they aren't Rocky movies. I wonder if there will be "Bond Men" with outrageous names like Pussy Galore. Maybe Dick Throbbin?

I wanted to see Idris Elba as the next Bond.
Quote Reply
Re: Well, then there’s this...007 [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
zed707 wrote:

I agree. They tossed the SJW's a bone. I think it's all smoke and mirrors and the next Bond movie is a complete reboot.

Hmmmm. I've read talk about them casting Idris Elba as the next Bond. Maybe the black female Bond is being filmed/considered to lesson the negative impact from those who wouldn't want a black Bond.

Personally, I think Elba would do great as JB. Though as Slowguy suggested above - they could open up the franchise by casting him as another 00X character so they could get several different movie lines going. I love the idea of them have multiple story lines and then converging.
Quote Reply
Re: Well, then there’s this...007 [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Perseus wrote:
zed707 wrote:

Hmmmm. I've read talk about them casting Idris Elba as the next Bond. Maybe the black female Bond is being filmed/considered to lesson the negative impact from those who wouldn't want a black Bond.

Personally, I think Elba would do great as JB. Though as Slowguy suggested above - they could open up the franchise by casting him as another 00X character so they could get several different movie lines going. I love the idea of them have multiple story lines and then converging.
I believe Idris said he didn't want the role. I want a younger Bond. Give me someone who is 30-35. I don't mind a female secret agent, but not as 007/Bond. Make her a 00 agent, give her a good back story/personality and have them team up from time to time a la Avengers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next