Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3:51 in Muncie - Short Race Report
Quote | Reply
I like doing race reports and I raced well this weekend, so I thought I'd throw a short one up. After a solid, yet disappointing race at Gulf Coast 70.3 in May, I was ready to have a day at Muncie 70.3. I had some solid workouts leading up to the race and felt confident race morning.

Swim - 30:15
Warm temps race week led to a non-wetsuit legal race so I used my swimskin. With the rolling start, I hopped in ~3 minutes after the gun and had mostly clear water the whole time. They switched the swim course this year so we didn't have to swim much directly into the sun. I tried to push but still ended with a relatively disappointing swim. I need swim lessons ASAP, please help...

Bike - 2:04:57
T1 went well and I hopped on the bike. I started my Garmin only to get a message that my power meter battery was low. It lasted maybe 5 minutes and died. I raced the rest by feel and pushed when it felt right. BBS had me going around 2:02-2:03 on my target power of 310 watts so I'm assuming I was closer to 295 for the ride. I was able to miss most of the double loop traffic and had, thankfully, a fairly uneventful ride. In the last 2ish miles, I caught the three lead guys and the four of us started the run together.

Run - 1:12:03
I started the run feeling super fresh and I contribute that to the lower power I put out on the bike. I went to the lead and never looked back. Luckily, it never got as hot as forecasted (temps hovered in low 80's) so with my ice/water strategy, I was able to stay cool enough to push the pace. I ran almost a perfectly even race, with my front half in 36:06 and finished the second half in 35:57.

Total - 3:51:31
Super happy to be getting to the pointy end of 70.3 racing but still see a lot of swim/bike improvement to be had before making the jump to pro. My girlfriend and I are moving to Boulder, CO in 2 weeks, so if anyone has some suggestions of good swimming groups/coaching in the area, I'd really appreciate the help. Any other suggestions from the ST community are welcome as well!
Quote Reply
Re: 3:51 in Muncie - Short Race Report [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's super fast out there. It's a bad course for spectating and that run gets LONELY!

For what it's worth, I live nearby and I've never had a fast swim in any race out there. I don't know if there is a weird current or it's just always a little long....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice work indeed...stalk TO and Rinny in boulder ;)

what did your nutrition look like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is crazy fast, 1:12 run blows my mind. Huge congrats.

One question, 30 min swim isn't slow for the AG race, why did you start 3 minutes after the gun?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Killer race Matt! That bike split was fantastic and the run even better.

Welcom, in advance, to Boulder. There are some very strong and competitive swim groups out here, mainly at Rally Sport or Colorado Athletic Club. Also, you can open water swim at the reservoir all summer.
Those gyms will be great for kicking your ass during workouts, but probably not the best time to get good 1-on-1 technique work. I’ve heard good things about Eney Jones as a technique instructor.

You’ll find no shortage of strong cyclists and runners to train with. Check out the Boulder Track Club Sunday group long run. Plenty of paces to chose from, but you’ll probably end up running with the front group based on your speed.

Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions about the city.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I think I can relate to people on this forum, understand their issues and share mine. And then somebody posts 1:12 half-marathon off the bike!

Congratulations! Sweet victory!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You flew by me on the run like I was standing still! I was just thinking "man he's gonna blow up in the heat, just let him go!" Nope you ran like an animal! Congrats on the win! What's next for you?

Eric Engel | http://www.ironmandiary.com
15% off INFINIT Nutrition w/ code: EENGEL-INFINIT
15% off AltRed w/ code: EENGEL-ALTRED
20% off AMP Human http://amphumanperformanc.refr.cc/ericengel
AP Racing "The Crew" | INFINIT Nutrition | AltRed | AMP Human
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conky wrote:
I like doing race reports and I raced well this weekend, so I thought I'd throw a short one up. After a solid, yet disappointing race at Gulf Coast 70.3 in May, I was ready to have a day at Muncie 70.3. I had some solid workouts leading up to the race and felt confident race morning.

Swim - 30:15
Warm temps race week led to a non-wetsuit legal race so I used my swimskin. With the rolling start, I hopped in ~3 minutes after the gun and had mostly clear water the whole time. They switched the swim course this year so we didn't have to swim much directly into the sun. I tried to push but still ended with a relatively disappointing swim. I need swim lessons ASAP, please help...

Bike - 2:04:57
T1 went well and I hopped on the bike. I started my Garmin only to get a message that my power meter battery was low. It lasted maybe 5 minutes and died. I raced the rest by feel and pushed when it felt right. BBS had me going around 2:02-2:03 on my target power of 310 watts so I'm assuming I was closer to 295 for the ride. I was able to miss most of the double loop traffic and had, thankfully, a fairly uneventful ride. In the last 2ish miles, I caught the three lead guys and the four of us started the run together.

Run - 1:12:03
I started the run feeling super fresh and I contribute that to the lower power I put out on the bike. I went to the lead and never looked back. Luckily, it never got as hot as forecasted (temps hovered in low 80's) so with my ice/water strategy, I was able to stay cool enough to push the pace. I ran almost a perfectly even race, with my front half in 36:06 and finished the second half in 35:57.

Total - 3:51:31
Super happy to be getting to the pointy end of 70.3 racing but still see a lot of swim/bike improvement to be had before making the jump to pro. My girlfriend and I are moving to Boulder, CO in 2 weeks, so if anyone has some suggestions of good swimming groups/coaching in the area, I'd really appreciate the help. Any other suggestions from the ST community are welcome as well!

I was in that group of 4 off the bike and your run pace was insane! With those Bike and Run splits people should be very scared if you get the swim lessons you desire. Phenomenal race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race, those are amazing splits.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: 3:51 in Muncie - Short Race Report [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
Sometimes I think I can relate to people on this forum, understand their issues and share mine. And then somebody posts 1:12 half-marathon off the bike!

awesaome post made me smile. I hope you can beat him in the swim or at least can relate to his swim issues lol

and well done OP
Quote Reply
Re: 3:51 in Muncie - Short Race Report [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:

+1
Quote Reply
Re: 3:51 in Muncie - Short Race Report [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Awesome race to the few guys here I ran out with.

Ill definitely look into into those clubs in Boulder, especially the running group.

In response to other questions:

I followed the rules of self-seeded swim starts and started in the 27-30 min group. There were probably 60-70 people to start before me (most lied about their swim time) but I'd rather have some people to catch.

Nutrition on bike is Infinit in BTA, Gu salt tabs in another bottle, and 3 Gu gels. Run nutrition was 2 gels and water/ice at every aid station.

And Boulder 70.3 is next for me! Should be interesting with the altitude.
Quote Reply