Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs
Quote | Reply
Walk me through your process, from brine/marinade to finish. I'm talking specifically about drumsticks and bone-in thighs. I can never quite seem to nail it. I usually end up with an over charred exterior.

I have a single zone Weber, so, cooking with indirect heat is out, which works against me.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rarely do it but I marinate in something like vinegar and spices for at least six hours. If your marinade has sugar in it that may be the problem. Take them out of the fride AND the marinade an hour before I want to grill them. Grill them in batches on one side of the grill about 6 to 8 minutes each then set them on the other side to finish while cooking the other batches. Constantly monitoring and moving them and use a digital thermometer to check them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leave the skin on, sprinkle a med/heavy dose of Lawyre’s season salt on both sides of both thighs and drumsticks. Place on a 3 second fire, turn over every 3-4 minutes for 45 minutes or until cooked through. Rotate around the grill as hot spots emerge so you don’t char/blacken the skin. START WITH THE BOTTOM DOWN, in case of a hot spot so you don’t crisp the skin in the first 4 minutes. Also works with breasts but they usually need a few more minutes to cook. 5-10 more. Best damn bbq chicken ever. You’re welcome ;)

Edit: the skin will get crispy - it shouldn’t be soggy, more like a nicely toasted skin, just not black char.

2nd Edit: trim the skin on the thighs. I’ve found they usually have a massive amount of extra. You jus want enough to cover the meat and still be attached.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Last edited by: RockyMtnChic: Jul 14, 19 19:36
Quote Reply
Re: How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait are you talking full size or the buffalo wing size?
Quote Reply
Re: How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full size.

I think sugar might be the problem as my brine contains OJ. Also have been going direct from marinade to grill.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to cook with indirect heat. :) Can you move the chicken away from the hottest part?

I don't marinate my chicken. If you watch the temperature you won't dry it out.

As to seasoning. I season with kosher salt, Weber Roasted Garlic and Herb seasoning and Everglades Cactus Dust. I use all three. My chicken turns out really good. Though I do use indirect heating and a digital thermometer to let me know when it hits 160ish.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Jul 14, 19 19:36
Quote Reply
Re: How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For whatever reason, chicken breasts are super simple for me. Flatten them a bit and brine them and you're 95% of the way there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually make them in a smoker, but you could do it in a weber with some wood chips.

Baste with olive oil and sprinkle with Buffalo Wild Wings salt and vinegar rub.

270 deg for 2 hrs, turning after one hour.

No sauce needed.
Quote Reply
Re: How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang. I forgot the wood chips until I saw J-No's post. I use hickory and one piece of mesquite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key for the drumsticks and thighs is constant turning and supervision. Setting a timer and being right there with a fire that’s not too hot not too cold! It helps to have a nice cold beverage close by too. We also put the lid on with some vents for air flow.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can do indirect heat with a Weber. You just need the right insert to hold the charcoal.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Full size.

I think sugar might be the problem as my brine contains OJ. Also have been going direct from marinade to grill.

Sugar burns and if you don't take it out then it takes longer to get the internal temperature right meaning more chance to burn
Quote Reply
Re: How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You can do indirect heat with a Weber. You just need the right insert to hold the charcoal.

It's a Weber gas grill, one of the small clamshell types.

2 burners, 1 zone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there flavor bars or something that you can set a metal pan on to deflect heat away from the meat? Or, you can man up and buy a Weber Genesis 3 burner grill.

The most important thing to have is a thermometer so that you can monitor the temperature of the meat. A couple of years ago I discovered AmazingRibs.com website. They emphasize using some type of thermometer to make sure you don't over/under cook your meat. Since applying their principals my grilling and smoking has gone up several notches.
Quote Reply
Re: How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked out amazingribs.com.

Thank you. Thank you so very much kind sir!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Glad to recommend them. I've met several people who have talked about how much that website helps.

Good luck with your meat. :) Oh, that was someone else with that problem. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

It's a Weber gas grill, one of the small clamshell types.

2 burners, 1 zone.

See, that’s not a real Weber. That’s just a gas grill.

Get a proper kettle grill.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going to grill with a single-zone gas grill, might as well use your oven. Preheat to 500, let it sit for a bit, put the legs on racks, marinated dry rubbed, whatever.. into oven - after 10-15, take a look, skin should be crispy, tun off ovn, leave oven door closed let them cook through for another 25-30. Should be juicy with crispy skin. I cook a lot of meats in the oven this way after reading Alton Brown.

For grilling and the requisite taste, gotta use charcoal. Sear, move indirect. But it appears you knew that.
Quote Reply
Re: How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sprinkle with Tony Chachare's

Grill over medium heat for 25-30 minutes, turning often so the skin doesn't burn. If they start to flare up, move them off the flame.

If my parents are coming over, I'll brush some BBQ sauce on them in the last 5 minutes, they love that shit. Not me.

Getting back into the game...
Slower than you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I forgot to mention something. Amazing Ribs has several great recipes for rubs and sauces.

Memphis Dry Rub - I put it on any pork that I smoke.

Simon and Garfunkel - I spatchcocked a turkey (their advice) and put this rub on it. It is by far the best turkey (except for maybe fried) that I've ever had. The spatchcock makes a YUGE difference as the white meat doesn't dry out and all of the skin gets crispy.

Carolina Mustard BBQ sauce - I grilled some wings and then put this on it for the last 5 minutes. It produced my best wings ever. My wife, daughter and father all talked about the flavor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We cook ours in the oven on a low setting for about 30 mins. Then I take them out to the grill and finalize the seasoning and or sauce. Give it a shot. 250 I think we cook them at in the oven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's obvious that you lack basic skills. For you, I'd recommend putting them in the oven.
Quote Reply
Re: How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
It's obvious that you lack basic skills. For you, I'd recommend putting them in the oven.

Thank you for the constructive feedback, limpy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do the same way I do wings. Indirect heat until nearly done and then over higher heat to crisp skin. The low and slower cooking allows the fat to render so you reduce flare ups. Then finish over heat for the char and crispiness.

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: How the f$&@ do you grill chicken legs [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:

My plan is to use these enigmatic directions for my first attempt at chicken legs. I don't want to deal with the grill b/c there are too many spiders making webs and egg sacks in it. Yikes!

So, oven temp will be... and time to turning is... and... voila!
Quote Reply