Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home theater/TV upgrades
Quote | Reply
In prepping for the upcoming Amazon Prime Days and subsequent retailers having similar deals this week, looking to upgrade our home theater and TV.

We have a 72 Inch 1080 TV and a Onkyo home theater for about 10 years that has served us very, very well.

We bought two TCL Roku Smart TVs a few Amazon Prime Days ago in the bedrooms, which we have no issues with and great bang for the bucks

A TCL 75 inch TCL 4K HD Roku Smart TV is around $900 on Amazon.

Then I see the LED version by TCL and others for some $$ more.

Big visual difference between 4k HD and 4K Ultra HD LED?

Looking to move away from the current Onkyo home theater which is wired to a wireless set-up. Sonos speakers the way to go? Get their
Sound Bar? A good Receiver recommendations?

Other general recommendations?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Home theater/TV upgrades [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real upgrade from your current setup would be to go to an OLED TV. That's where you start to notice massive differences in picture clarity and depth. But that's a lot more $$, especially for a 75" TV. How far away do you sit? A 75" TV should really have a quite long viewing distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:

No

Quote:
Looking to move away from the current Onkyo home theater which is wired to a wireless set-up. Sonos speakers the way to go? Get their

That would be a downgrade. Not even knowing what setup you have now, a wireless system would be worse in many ways. If you've got a receiver from a few years ago, get an ATMOS 7.2.4 receiver (11.2). If you want to stay Onkyo, that's the TX-RZ3100 or PR-RZ5100. If you have an ATMOS receiver already, why replace it?
Quote Reply
Re: Home theater/TV upgrades [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:

No

Quote:

That would be a downgrade. Not even knowing what setup you have now, a wireless system would be worse in many ways. If you've got a receiver from a few years ago, get an ATMOS 7.2.4 receiver (11.2). If you want to stay Onkyo, that's the TX-RZ3100 or PR-RZ5100. If you have an ATMOS receiver already, why replace it?

The Onkyo receiver is at least a decade old, if not more.

So you are saying that going wireless would be a downgrade? buying Sonos would be a downgrade? (It seems that Sonos gets pretty good reviews out there)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's rephrase.

Are you happy with your current screen size?

Are you happy with your current screen image quality?

Are you happy with your current sound volume?

Are you happy with your current sound quality?

Are you happy with your current surround sound?

If no to any of these, please provide more details on why you are not happy and what you would like improved.

If you buy the TLC 75 The 4th gen is decent, the 6th gen is supposed to be amazing. (not OLED amazing, but a really good picture)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:

So you are saying that going wireless would be a downgrade? buying Sonos would be a downgrade? (It seems that Sonos gets pretty good reviews out there)

Yes.
Yes.

Wireless don't have the bandwidth. Wireless your stuck in specific things. You can't get the latest and greatest wireless.

Sonos is fine for what it is. It's fine if you want small speakers and a fake 5.1 setup. It's very limited on SPL. It's very limited in build - it's not even true 5.1, you are not getting 5.1, 5.2, 7.2, 9.2, or Atmos. They aren't the best speakers - a full "5.1" setup is only $1700. That's fine, but not great - $1700 for 3 speakers and a sub, plus all the wireless technology plus all the controls (the top of the line contains a controller)
Quote Reply
Re: Home theater/TV upgrades [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:

Yes.
Yes.

Wireless don't have the bandwidth. Wireless your stuck in specific things. You can't get the latest and greatest wireless.

Sonos is fine for what it is. It's fine if you want small speakers and a fake 5.1 setup. It's very limited on SPL. It's very limited in build - it's not even true 5.1, you are not getting 5.1, 5.2, 7.2, 9.2, or Atmos. They aren't the best speakers - a full "5.1" setup is only $1700. That's fine, but not great - $1700 for 3 speakers and a sub, plus all the wireless technology plus all the controls (the top of the line contains a controller)

Downgrade? Depends on what your criteria is. If you are looking for wireless than clearly the sonos is an upgrade as your current system is not.
Sound quality, unknown as I don't think you stated what speakers you currently are using (or I missed it which is likely)
Depending on how old you Onkyo is it might not have 5.1 or higher, so I can't say how it compares to the Sonos.

Then again if you putting this in a room with crappy acoustic's screaming kids, talking wife, clanging pots and pans it might not matter.

I think you need to be a lot more clear and specific about what you want to improve / change from your old system (and what your old system is) .

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Home theater/TV upgrades [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Let's rephrase.

Are you happy with your current screen size?

Are you happy with your current screen image quality?

Are you happy with your current sound volume?

Are you happy with your current sound quality?

Are you happy with your current surround sound?

If no to any of these, please provide more details on why you are not happy and what you would like improved.

If you buy the TLC 75 The 4th gen is decent, the 6th gen is supposed to be amazing. (not OLED amazing, but a really good picture)

The #1 reason why we are looking to upgrade is to get a Smart TV and a TV is is wall mountable. Currently our 75 Inch is neither of the two. Prices seems extremely reasonable and 4k/HD and/or LED (maybe QLED. No to OLED) would be a upgrade in visual to what we currently have.

Sound quality? I don't know honesty. We don't do gaming nor watch much TV that is very "musical", so this would be not as important to upgrade. Just that our system is well over a decade old, and assuming the newer stuff is much, much better, can find something relatively priced and the thought process on wireless would be just to remove the clutter of wires (and then overall, boxes, remotes, etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That TCL 75” 4K tv was $400 this morning. Hope you grabbed it!
Quote Reply
Re: Home theater/TV upgrades [North] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
North wrote:
That TCL 75” 4K tv was $400 this morning. Hope you grabbed it!
I am guessing that was the 400 series not the 600. The 400 has been on sale for around $500 ish .

Wow Amazon is selling the 400 series for $999 I know Costco had it for $928 or there about a few months ago. They don't seem to have the 600 series. I know at its best you could have that for around 1500.

Best Buy has the 400 for $799 https://www.bestbuy.com/...9340.p?skuId=6319340

And Walmart has the 600 for $1399 https://www.walmart.com/...-TV-75R617/960339279

Just Triing
Last edited by: DavHamm: Jul 15, 19 9:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the heck is TCL?

Why not Samsung, Sony, LG, or other name brands?
Quote Reply
Re: Home theater/TV upgrades [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
What the heck is TCL?

One of the largest brands of LED Tv's, excellent quality, great features at a great price.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Home theater/TV upgrades [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
What the heck is TCL?

"TCL Corporation is a Chinese multinational electronics company headquartered in Huizhou, Guangdong Province. It designs, develops, manufactures and sells products including television sets, mobile phones, air conditioners, washing machines, refrigerators and small electrical appliances."

If you're paranoid of being spied on by the Chinese government, then better off letting the South Korean (Samsung & LG) or Japanese (Sony) spy on you instead ;-)

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply