Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When I die after getting hit by a car... [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was very pleased to see the phrasing changed in our local newspaper for the latest accident. Instead of blaming the cyclist for being in the road with, "Cyclist hit while cycling in the road" type of language, the title was, "Vehicle strikes cyclist". Of course I don't want to see any article like that at all, but automatically blaming the cyclist for existing at all seems to be not as common as it used to be... hopefully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
https://www.bicycling.com/...yclist-safety-video/

Poignant today for me after this morning's ride with a monster truck driving on the wrong side of the road towards me.

I'm seriously considering getting a rear-facing camera for lawsuit purposes so my family can get something out of me getting whacked by some inattentive asshole....

Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Murder a cyclist/pedestrian AND try to conceal the crime..........they may give you 10 years.

Does that ever happen?

One of the grossest examples I'm aware of I'm sure other articles do more justice to the complete arc of the story, but there's not much to say but we're f*cked
Quote Reply
Re: When I die after getting hit by a car... [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favourite discussion with a driver.
Four of us are out riding 2x2 down a country road. We get buzzed by a car on a blind corner, well inside the legal passing distance.

Our road captain waves the guy back, and strangely, the car slows down, pulls up next to our bikes, and winds down the window. The first thing to be said was from the driver, with the immortal words "Why do you have to endanger the lives of my children?"

We still don't know if it is just a self-entitlement complex, or a lack of personal responsibility. But it does seem to be getting more common, and not just by drivers on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cars don't kill it's all a myth! I've been hit by two cars, a motorbike and ridden into the back of a parked car. I may have had two broken femurs, four broken ribs, punctured lung, a broken scapula, two broken vertebrae, a fractured cheek bone, two slashed necks one severing a nerve. Oh I may have been dead and revived twice on the operating table but I'm still alive...
Quote Reply
Re: When I die after getting hit by a car... [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
...I think when a person dies of non-natural causes........someone needs to do prison time....

Which "someone"?

Do you not think the US already has enough people in prison, without an arbitrary rule like that?
State sanctioned revenge for the sake of it serves no justifiable purpose except perhaps a minor influence as a disincentive. But generally, in most countries, larger prison populations are self perpetuating and have the exact opposite effect to that desired. As much as we might want to, we can't fix things after someone is killed. We can only look to reducing the chances of it happening again. Education/awareness, infrastructure, and to some extent technology can do this, but are rarely given the attention they deserve. I can't see mandatory prison sentences making a comparable difference, while also being just.

If you are in control of vehicle that causes a fatality and you are found to be at fault, I believe you should lose your licence for LIFE. Maybe add some community service, but no jail time. There should be a suspended jail sentence (2 years) attached that only comes into affect if you are subsequently found driving a vehicle. Considering you just killed someone, I think this is a small price to pay.

Most of these 'bad' drivers are only a problem to society when they are behind the wheel of a car. Putting them in jail will not help.

I am so sick of seeing the penalty as a 2 year suspension on your drivers licence. If you have caused a death, you have lost that privilege
Quote Reply
Re: When I die after getting hit by a car... [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More range time
Quote Reply
Re: When I die after getting hit by a car... [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
Maybe the moral of the story is that we need to recruit more law enforcement officers, prosecutors, and judges into the ranks of cyclists!

Or have more young cyclists choose careers in law enforcement.
Quote Reply

Prev Next