Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Conti GPTT
Quote | Reply
Apparently run by Movistar during TTT at the tour (see 6min in vid below) . Hopefully their performance doesn't reflect the tyre, but if they do a tubeless version then it could be a contender for fastest tyre.

Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We’ve had some and they feel really thin - almost as if a Conti Supersonic (the old one) just had a GP4000 tread stamped on it. We were told Conti reckon the 4000 tread is more aero than the 5000 tread - not sure how they did their testing but when we did it the 4000 was quicker from 0-5deg yaw then the 5000 was better (and using a weighted drag calculation overall the 5000 was better).

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I assume from that they are clincher only?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah clincher only from what I understand.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
We’ve had some and they feel really thin - almost as if a Conti Supersonic (the old one) just had a GP4000 tread stamped on it. We were told Conti reckon the 4000 tread is more aero than the 5000 tread - not sure how they did their testing but when we did it the 4000 was quicker from 0-5deg yaw then the 5000 was better (and using a weighted drag calculation overall the 5000 was better).

The real question is how well they will work on your wheels? Are these likely to be faster than the Corsa Speeds from a CdA+Crr perspective?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the tire we've seen on Frodo & Kienle's bikes for awhile now (over a year iirc?).
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Xavier wrote:

The real question is how well they will work on your wheels? Are these likely to be faster than the Corsa Speeds from a CdA+Crr perspective?

If they are (and they'll be available to the general public) we'll definitely be letting people know!

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
if they do a tubeless version then it could be a contender for fastest tyre.

When has tubeless proven to be faster?

Conti always has special tires available only to pros. Does not mean we will ever see this available to the public.
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP5000 and Corsa speed... both measure lower rolling resistance as tubeless vs running as clincher.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
GP5000 and Corsa speed... both measure lower rolling resistance as tubeless vs running as clincher.

BRR tests with butyl tubes. With a latex tube, tubeless is no faster.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stand corrected. Not seen a comparison recently since his previous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did they mention a release date by chance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't they have to be publicly available in the next 6 months, as per the UCI rules?
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drgwood wrote:
did they mention a release date by chance?

Unfortunately not - this was via a third party rather than Continental themselves.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
msrixon wrote:

BRR tests with butyl tubes. With a latex tube, tubeless is no faster.

Maybe true. But running at lower pressure is a hell of a lot more comfortable for both training and racing. My brick runs since switching to tubeless feel noticeably fresher, and on longer brick runs I haven't been getting the dreaded cramps I used to get between my shoulder blades. I might be trading a couple watts running 75-80 PSI vs 90+, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it up on my run split.
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Maybe true. But running at lower pressure is a hell of a lot more comfortable for both training and racing. My brick runs since switching to tubeless feel noticeably fresher, and on longer brick runs I haven't been getting the dreaded cramps I used to get between my shoulder blades. I might be trading a couple watts running 75-80 PSI vs 90+, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it up on my run split.
If the lower pressure is more comfortable, there's a good chance that it's also faster. Discomfort from surface irregularities is fueled by energy stolen from your forward momentum.

That said, I don't get very concerned about road riding with fairly low pressures in tubes. I've only pinched a tube on the road once ever.
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I might be trading a couple watts running 75-80 PSI vs 90+, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it up on my run split.

I've been riding on our crap roads with 75psi (23mm front, 25mm rear) and latex tubes. No problem.

The only time I've pinch flatted a latex tube in several tens of thousands of miles, is when the tire sidewall also failed.

Don't see the point of tubeless personally, unless maybe you ride through goatheads all the time or something.
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Don't they have to be publicly available in the next 6 months, as per the UCI rules?

Apparently not. Conti has been making tubulars with latex tubes for the pros for many years, and these have never been available to consumers. Plus I recall a few years back when Martin used a prototype GPTT without the Vectran layer. Never seen that available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are we thinking this is the "old" Conti Supersonic mold with the GP 4000 imprints?

I was thinking about using my new old Supersonic 23mm for Kona this year... I've been saving it for a special occasion... but if they're re-releasing it as the TT Pro LTD then I can get that.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9/10, well done ;)
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use your old SS23s. I don't expect the pro tires will ever be available to us. They made the GP5000 smaller; would be nice if that philosophy was used for other models. The SS20 is a good tire but a bit small for most rims. 23s are all fat. Good tires that are actually 23-24mm wide on modern rims are hard to find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Use your old SS23s. I don't expect the pro tires will ever be available to us. They made the GP5000 smaller; would be nice if that philosophy was used for other models. The SS20 is a good tire but a bit small for most rims. 23s are all fat. Good tires that are actually 23-24mm wide on modern rims are hard to find.

This. The current 23mm GP TT actually measures as 27mm on Aerocoach wheels, for instance.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

Apparently not. Conti has been making tubulars with latex tubes for the pros for many years, and these have never been available to consumers. Plus I recall a few years back when Martin used a prototype GPTT without the Vectran layer. Never seen that available.

On the other hand, the Conti GP 4000 RS, which is the special Tour de France edition, has been made available to the public.
Quote Reply
Re: New Conti GPTT [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
On the other hand, the Conti GP 4000 RS, which is the special Tour de France edition, has been made available to the public.

It was never a pro tire.
Quote Reply