Re: Smart Swim Goggles [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:

(Also: Pro tip from a non-swimmer, you can simply twist your wrist to see your splits, no need to stop for four seconds.)

As a swimmer, that’s a non-starter. Coach would’ve had my head for breaking streamline like that. Those are the issues that a tech system needs to address first and foremost. It’s not about what the swimmers want, it’s about what the coaches want.

Not sure how much break of streamline there is for a slight twist of the wrist when pushing off the wall during the glide, comparative to wearing a head-mounted device.

It’s an immense difference. A good streamline your biceps are pressed behind your ears and elbows are nearly touching. You never look anywhere in the vicinity of your wrist.

Yeah, I guess I'm saying I'm genuinely curious about what the drag looks like on a once every 3-4 laps for a 1-second glance versus an audible head-mounted device over the course of an entire swim. I have absolutely no idea, but I think it'd be a fun thing to know.

My main/original point though was that the original poster via his site stated it took four seconds to check his watch for a lap split. I could stop and eat a cookie in that much time.

As a guess, that’ll cost you half a body length. The issue isn’t so much the added drag, but the poor habits that it reinforces.

And if the pace clocks are in the right spot on the wall, the swimmer can see them without breaking stroke at all. No device needed :-)

Clock at my pool sometimes fails. What is your back up?

I just hope this product doesn't end up in a list like this:

https://time.com/...s-flops-bombs-fails/

For one I was hoping Google glass would replace our Gps watches, ergonomics matter!
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are 3 clocks at my pool. One at each end of the 50m and one at the 25m mark. Are they all going to fail at the same time?

Or I could just swim by feel. That’s still possible, you know.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [pcappel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a triathlete / open water swimmer perspective i think there would be more value in solving direction issue rather than pace. Be nice to be able to not have to sight ever few strokes - i am hoping oncourse (shipping shortly) help with this.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart Swim Goggles [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
From a triathlete / open water swimmer perspective i think there would be more value in solving direction issue rather than pace. Be nice to be able to not have to sight ever few strokes - i am hoping oncourse (shipping shortly) help with this.

The Marlin device gives directions if you preprogram a map into it
Quote Reply

Prev Next