Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tri spokes at the TDF today [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So supposedly H3D would be better/worse than Pro 3spoke at moderate-high yaw?

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri spokes at the TDF today [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
So supposedly H3D would be better/worse than Pro 3spoke at moderate-high yaw?

I wouldn't want to speculate - but you'd need a narrow tyre for it to work as it's based on the previous version narrow rim. Over a decade back I extended a HED3 narrow rim wheel out to 68mm to hit the UK time trial limit, and made sure the fairing was wide enough to cope with a 21mm tyre as that's all I had at the time!

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Tri spokes at the TDF today [JRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRC wrote:
I have heard that the pro's dont actually get much in the way of kit, or at least some of them...

somthing along the lines of a couple of sets of kit for the season and one TT suit, the bikes in a set format( which they will have to give back at some point) certainly some pro's swap in their own stuff like shoes and have to wear over shores to hide the branding, with TT bikes, i think they get the bike with a generic wheel set and swap in their oven preferred stuff, or even the only stuff they can afford ie a tri spoke they have had for years.
Maybe for smaller budget teams back in the day or low budget pro continental teams may operate as you state. My mate went to school with a current pro at the TDF and he gets given endless amounts of kit he gives to my mate. All the teams at the tour at least will be using sponsors equipment and there is a lot of it. Have you seen the team busses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do remember reading about the experimentation, it was great!

The fairings on leg and arm, and IIRC wrapping hands with bandages soaked in medicinal alcohol for better cooling?

One day I do need to pony up for a session with you - it'd be interesting to see what you can do for a 15 stone + former rower...
Quote Reply
Re: Tri spokes at the TDF today [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
altayloraus wrote:
I do remember reading about the experimentation, it was great!

The fairings on leg and arm, and IIRC wrapping hands with bandages soaked in medicinal alcohol for better cooling?

One day I do need to pony up for a session with you - it'd be interesting to see what you can do for a 15 stone + former rower...

Well we did alright with Hamish Bond :D - and yes that alcohol experiment was quite shortlived!

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious as to your opinion on what 19mm tubular people are using in the UK on The hed trispoke? (Also 12 spoke shamal)

Taking mere mortals who have to buy retail!

Thanks,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Tri spokes at the TDF today [dwgrenle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dwgrenle wrote:
A lot of teams used tri spoke front wheels today for the team time trial at the TDF. Do they know something we dont know?

Dare I say something new for us to buy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You certainly did - Bondy stayed with me for a week or two in that first season. Great bloke, and just a little bit fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, so a pro3 is faster than a 100mm wheel if yaw stays below 10deg.

Does the HED H3+ test faster or slower than the Pro3? I'd be curious to see a how the H3+ with 23mm tires stacks up.

Btw, how do you weight drag in your charts? Equally for each angle?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri spokes at the TDF today [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting,

I am talking about a recent/current situation, but yeah I guess it it will depend on the rider / team, I supose Sky would be pretty good for hoanding out kit etc, although that might have been rained in as Ineos.

Shambolic wrote:
JRC wrote:
I have heard that the pro's dont actually get much in the way of kit, or at least some of them...
somthing along the lines of a couple of sets of kit for the season and one TT suit, the bikes in a set format( which they will have to give back at some point) certainly some pro's swap in their own stuff like shoes and have to wear over shores to hide the branding, with TT bikes, i think they get the bike with a generic wheel set and swap in their oven preferred stuff, or even the only stuff they can afford ie a tri spoke they have had for years.

Maybe for smaller budget teams back in the day or low budget pro continental teams may operate as you state. My mate went to school with a current pro at the TDF and he gets given endless amounts of kit he gives to my mate. All the teams at the tour at least will be using sponsors equipment and there is a lot of it. Have you seen the team busses?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri spokes at the TDF today [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Wow, so a pro3 is faster than a 100mm wheel if yaw stays below 10deg.

Does the HED H3+ test faster or slower than the Pro3? I'd be curious to see a how the H3+ with 23mm tires stacks up.

Btw, how do you weight drag in your charts? Equally for each angle?

No it’s the opposite - the TITAN is faster than the Pro3 at lower yaw angles as the drag is higher. At greater than 10deg the Pro3 is faster (lower drag - red line) but the weighted average makes them very similar, within around 1w using the tyres stated.

The weighted average is on our website under the AEOX disc data page, click on Aero Testing Data and then the AEOX disc vs a Super 9 etc and there’s a full explanation of how we set up our wind tunnel experiments (with photos). You definitely don’t want to take a straight average over the whole lot.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed HED3 3-spoke wheel is heavier than Zipp 808. I'm talking about the front. I feel better with 808, so I don't use 3-spoke wheel anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri spokes at the TDF today [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of tt conditions did you test them?

speed, distance, terrain, cornering, hills etc
Quote Reply
Re: Tri spokes at the TDF today [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Curious as to your opinion on what 19mm tubular people are using in the UK on The hed trispoke? (Also 12 spoke shamal)

Taking mere mortals who have to buy retail!

Thanks,
Maurice

I'd assume clinchers in an aero size for the old HED trispokes is near impossible to get.

I've got an HED 3c tub. Haven't riden it yet, as it's an expensive race tire......but I glued up a Vittoria Pista G+ to it. We'll see if it lives. I'd not run that though unless it's good roads. If roads aren't good, I'd likely run my road bike clincher wheel up front instead with a GP TT and latex.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri spokes at the TDF today [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
What kind of tt conditions did you test them?

speed, distance, terrain, cornering, hills etc

I ride exact same 19 mile route every week and pace is about 20-22 mph. It's a mix of flat and rolling hills. One hill is about 4-5% grade 2/3 mile long.
Whenever I switch to 808, I feel like someone is pushing me from behind, so I stopped using tri spoke. I haven't used it for a year and maybe I will try again soon and see how it feels.
Quote Reply

Prev Next