Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pacing a sub 40 Oly distance run?
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, for those of you who can run a sub 40min 10k, how do you generally pace your run? Do you try to keep an even pace throughout each KM (or mile) or do you tend to increase your pace as the run goes on? I am trying to figure out which is the best approach to hitting that target time? Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Pacing a sub 40 Oly distance run? [Barberdolan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last olympic I did was in April. I went off pretty quick, slowed down a bit after 5k, then increased again towards the end. Dunno if that is a good plan or not but my splits (forgot to start the watch coming out of T2 so lost the first kilometer):

3.53-3.41-3.41-3.38-4.02-3.48-3.53-3.41-3.31.

34.06 and 9.1km on the watch. I would say that you should run so hard that you don't know if you will be able to finish at 8km. But don't get that feeling by 6km.
Quote Reply
Re: Pacing a sub 40 Oly distance run? [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I ran a 40.40 in my last race but I forgot to stop my watch after I went over the finish so not sure what my splits were. I hadn’t done a 10k race effort before so wasn’t really paying much attention to pacing and was just trying to go by feel. I definitely went harder in the last 3km and very hard in the final 1km. What ever I did last time I would be happy to do again, just a little faster this time. Definitely don’t want hit that wall of pain too early though. Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran 36 flat last month. Even pace.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest pacing mistakes you'll make will be in the first 5 minutes of the run.

I'm a pretty even pace to slight negative split fan myself.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barberdolan wrote:
Hey guys, for those of you who can run a sub 40min 10k, how do you generally pace your run? Do you try to keep an even pace throughout each KM (or mile) or do you tend to increase your pace as the run goes on? I am trying to figure out which is the best approach to hitting that target time? Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Firstly you need to be more like 38 flat to run a high 39.xx in an Olympic tri. It also depends on how fast you swim and bike. Assuming you do those legs well, then what Desertdude said. But the goal should be to even pace the entire race, not just the 10km run. If you evenly dispense your effort through the race you have your best chance for the sub 40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just run as fast as I can. It's a short race.
Quote Reply