Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Spider-Man - Far From Home
Quote | Reply
Spider-Man - Far From Home is a pretty good entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and does a good job of following up Endgame with something that builds on the previous films, points to the future of the MCU, and still holds its own as a good sequel within the Spider-Man line of movies.

Shortly after the Avengers win the final war against Thanos, things are getting back to normal. Peter Parker and his classmates (almost all of whom were victims of the Snap) are back in high school, and planning their big summer trip to Europe. Unfortunately, as usually happens in MCU movies, Nick Fury shows up to throw a wrench in Parker's plans. Fury and Maria Hill, Snap victims themselves, are rebuilding networks and fighting a new potential threat and they need Spider-Man's help. Parker is juggling his school trip, his hope for romance, and trying to live up to the legacy left for him by Tony Stark, and he's not sure he wants to jump into a new global level fight. Inspired by a new hero on the scene, Quentin Beck aka Mysterio, Peter agrees to get into the fight, searching for whatever it is that will help him come into his own and honor the memory of his hero and mentor.

Far From Home is pretty standard Marvel fare, mixing big action pieces with humor. Even with the "global threat" Marvel does a good job of keeping the Spider-Man movies feel a bit smaller scale, leveraging Parker's friendly neighborhood nature. This movie also offers one or two twists that keep things moving. The last post credits scene, if you stay for it, will especially let you think through a few scenes in a different way. Don't get me wrong, most people will probably see the twists coming, but they're fun anyway.

This movie has some foul language and a lot of big comic-book style violence, but it's probably generally fine for kids (lots in the audience when I went to see it). There are a few scenes that pay tribute to Iron Man in a nice way that wraps up the fact that Stark sacrificed himself in the last movie. In many ways, this film is really the last in the last phase on MCU movies, and sets up the next phase which appears to be more "cosmic" in focus.

If you enjoy Marvel or superhero movies, or like big action and effects movies, you'll probably like Far From Home. Fun for the whole family.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Spider-Man - Far From Home [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great review, fun movie. You're right about keeping it somehow small while dealing with an existential threat (I guess that's a compliment to the director, history of the franchise considered?). I didn't really love JG as Mysterio, but it wasn't distracting, and again maybe keeping him relatively small (read: forgettable) relative to other MCU villians made sense given the scale of the standalone Spiderman films.

The kid who plays Peter Parker is by far the best casting job in franchise history. He carries every scene.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great review. The mck414 clan saw it yesterday. We all thought it was great, though I was hoping for some homage Stan Lee. There might've been something and I missed it.

Loved the extra scenes. Gotta stay to the very end of the credits!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just can't wait for the Night Monkey movie!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoilers:

I'd heard some really good reviews for the movie, so I went in with high expectations. For the first third of the movie I was a little underwhelmed. Everything seemed kind of weak. The bad guys. The new hero. The Plot. And then once the plot twist hit it all came together. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was a cleverly written. I loved the plot twist on the main bad guy, as well as the learning to use his Peter Tingle to defeat the bad guy.

I really thought it was going to be hard to follow up End Game with another standalone movie, but I think they really nailed it.

Oh, and FWIW, I had thought that Mysterio was a villain from my Spidy comics days, but I've been pretty good at going into movies and just letting the writers lead me where they want me to be lead. Its much more enjoyable than trying to figure out big reveals before I'm supposed to.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thrilled that you are back in the review business. But I totally lost interest in the Marvel universe when half the people world died a couple years ago, so I had no interest in this review. Looking forward to the next review (hopefully not marvel).

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Spider-Man - Far From Home [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
I'm thrilled that you are back in the review business. But I totally lost interest in the Marvel universe when half the people world died a couple years ago, so I had no interest in this review. Looking forward to the next review (hopefully not marvel).

Your Fun Factor rating: 0

Its a movie series based on comic strips started in the '50s......

Sorry you lost your precious in The Snap.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Spider-Man - Far From Home [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Its a movie series based on comic strips started in the '50s......

All the Thanos stuff still sucks.

Antman and Wasp -- now that is a good comic book movie.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you see End Game?

Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Spider-Man - Far From Home [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Did you see End Game?

No. After Infinity War, I'd rather just watch Schindler's List a few times.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. I can’t tell if you are just trolling, but End Game was epic. It’s May favorite of the MCU.

Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Spider-Man - Far From Home [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm serious. But on your recommendation, I may have to watch End Game.

________
Quote Reply